Mirror Idea

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Like a lot of you folks, I've found the FJR mirrors pretty limited. I didn't want to go with a longer stem from another bike, making the mirror the widest part of the bike, and the mirrors are too small and too far away to benefit from add-on spot mirrors. My other bikes have always had a handlebar mount, where a little head movement offers a pretty good sweep of the road and the blind spots. Well, so here's what I did: I stuck a small, cheap stick-on fish-eye mirror from Auto Zone right in front of my face at the top (inside) of my Cal-Sci extra tall shield. A couple extra strips of 2-sided mounting tape on the bottom edge of the mirror to make it more level, and presto! Excellent view of both blind spots (and me) right below my line of sight, so I can also check to make sure I remembered the helmet and everything, all at the same time. I'll put a little sticker on the front of the windscreen to cover up the ugly back of the mirror/tape setup. Tried it today, love it.

Like a lot of you folks, I've found the FJR mirrors pretty limited. I didn't want to go with a longer stem from another bike, making the mirror the widest part of the bike, and the mirrors are too small and too far away to benefit from add-on spot mirrors. My other bikes have always had a handlebar mount, where a little head movement offers a pretty good sweep of the road and the blind spots. Well, so here's what I did: I stuck a small, cheap stick-on fish-eye mirror from Auto Zone right in front of my face at the top (inside) of my Cal-Sci extra tall shield. A couple extra strips of 2-sided mounting tape on the bottom edge of the mirror to make it more level, and presto! Excellent view of both blind spots (and me) right below my line of sight, so I can also check to make sure I remembered the helmet and everything, all at the same time. I'll put a little sticker on the front of the windscreen to cover up the ugly back of the mirror/tape setup. Tried it today, love it.
Interesting idea. I'm wondering though, did you ever actually try the FZ1 mirrors on someone else's bike? Although they do become the widest part of the bike (43") it is just barely wider than the width at the bags (40") and the mirrors are on pivots and will fold if you were to contact something. Contrasting with the saddlebags, which tend not to be so forgiving. I kind of like a flexible "width gauge" right there in front of my face.

However, the main reason I ask is because the view you get from the FZ1 mirrors are good enough that you don't need pig spotters or any other stick on convex spot mirrors. You can see pretty much everything there is to see.

If it's purely a dislike of the FZ1 mirror's cosmetics, well... to each his own.

Besides, once you slap a big honkin' piece of plexiglass on the front end, all bets are off in the beauty department. ;)

I agree, interesting idea. I was opposed to the FZ1 mirrors myself.....until I put them on the bike. The benefit FAR outweighs any hangups I had. Can't imagine a "small, cheap stick-on fish-eye mirror from Auto Zone " can provide the same benefits, but I've been wrong once or twice before :glare:

I have FZ1 mirrors on my bike and find they are great!
Woof, and they work just like cat's whiskers, letting me know when it's time to back out (before pulling a RenoJohn)!

P1010013.JPG

Here is another option "https://www.multivexmirror.net/Details.asp?ProdID=105&category=2"
I may do this for the right side myself.

ride safe
One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of what kind of mirrors you have, and what sort of panoramic view they afford you, you still want to be in the habit of turning your head and looking before doing things like changing lanes or turning. Just a friendly reminder.

I have FZ1 mirrors on my bike and find they are great!
Woof, and they work just like cat's whiskers, letting me know when it's time to back out (before pulling a RenoJohn)!

P1010013.JPG

Guess John forgot to grease the posts before riding through there... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the FZ1 mirrors ... especially knowing that if my mirrors can fit through an opening, then the rest of the bike will fit also.

Also, I have to agree with Fred. Nothing takes the place of the requisite over-the-shoulder look prior to making a move.

Taking uctofeej's suggestion here, so here are the best pics I could swing. And sorry, but I AM an amateur, couldn't figure out how to take a picture of a convex mirror's field of view without showing up in it myself :rolleyes: Anyhow, I like it, feel free to use it. No charge. (p.s., The optical quality is fine. After all, the things were made for this purpose, whatever you mount them on.) I know it doesn't meet the usual criteria for FJRkles, though. Cost less than a hundred bucks.

SS850290.jpg

Stuck a printed Yamaha logo on the front to hide the taping job. I might replace that with a decal that will be more waterproof.

SS850291.jpg

I'll probably replace this with a more rectangular shaped mirror when I can find one.

SS850295.jpg

This pic is a bit misleading. The whole mirror is below my line of sight, out of the way. (Extra tall Cal-Sci shield, btw.)

SS850294.jpg

You can see the WHOLE SUV in the blind spot just fine in the center mirror. Shows up much better in real life than the pic indicates.

And don't you wish YOUR weather looked like this today?

I'm not going to make this a big thing defending this idea. Like I said, use it if you like, but one final point, since I really like it now and think it's worth considering. Stick a Post-it note inside your mirror and see if it's in your way. I don't think is is, myself, any more than the mirror in my car that's just above my line of sight. You just get used to looking up there. No big deal. If you don't like it, of course, you're out a buck ninety-nine. Or stick it on your car. My last word.

Farming 101 at it's best. I personally just look over me shoulder, though. That would be even cooler if you got that big square thing that cabbies use....with the multiple lenses on it.

I'm not going to make this a big thing defending this idea. Like I said, use it if you like, but one final point, since I really like it now and think it's worth considering. Stick a Post-it note inside your mirror and see if it's in your way. I don't think is is, myself, any more than the mirror in my car that's just above my line of sight. You just get used to looking up there. No big deal. If you don't like it, of course, you're out a buck ninety-nine. Or stick it on your car. My last word.

Mike,

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the problem with your idea is the mirror on the edge of the shield blocks your vision forward. I could live with a spot mirror off to the side or even covering part of the mirrors, but blocking the forward vision wouldn't seem that great.

There is a company that makes some fancy shmancy mirrors that you attach to your windshield, but they go on the outer edges and don't block your main field of view forward. I can't remember the make right now, but maybe something more along those lines?

BTW, no need to "defend" your idea. People will either adopt it or not.

Well, I tried using a pair of those round stick on's on the bottom edge of my stock mirrors. Had done this on my other bike and they worked real well. But it had handlebar mounted mirrors (Kaw Vulcan) so the spots were closer. On the FJR the fairing mounted mirrors are just too far away to see a good image in the stick on's , they kinda were distracting...so I yanked them off.

Now I'm not sure about having a fish eye right in fromt of my face either, but willing to try. I do remember that when I was at Auto Zone getting the round ones, they also carried some small rectangular ones that were mounted on a angled base. These of course would not work on a mirror, but thinking about it now, might work really nice on the sides of the windscreen.

So, off to Auto Zone. If they work out will post pics....

KM

Last edited by a moderator: