mirror washer combination

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan

Reaction score
Just dissembled the mirrors at the knuckle for painting. The nut "presses" eight convex or concave washers against the knuckle. After taking the first mirror apart I attempted to pay attention to the second mirror to make sure I got the washers in the proper order. I failed at that simple task because due to the play between the knuckle and the mirror stalk. I slopped my way through and got the tension to an acceptable level but I'm sure there is a proper sequence for the washers. Anyone's help on this matter will be much appreciated.

You did it right.

The washers are curved. Nest them all in each other and it's likely too loose, oppose them every-other-one and it's likely too tight. You want to oppose some of them to create a spring effect that provides adequate pressure to hold the mirror steady at 150mph but still allow the mirror to fold in when needed.

When I disassembled my mirror at the knuckle for painting I found that there were 8 convex washers as described and they were arranged in 4 pairs of opposed washers. I reassembled them the same orientation and the pressure is enough to hold the mirror steady but still allow it to fold

Hmmm... I thought it was like this: ))(( ))(( . Either way, I think as long as you have the 4 pairs alternating you'll have the right dimension and spring tension. FWIW, those are called "Belleville washers".
Not going to argue, but my pictures were taken as I took the washers off so that I would remember how to put them back. You'll see on my second picture how the inner face was rubbed by the nut being undone.

I suppose it's possible different people assemble them differently?

I just disassembled a new '07 mirror I have waiting to go on and it's the same layout as mcatrophy's. (())(())

Thanks everyone for the help, especially mctrophy. FYI for anyone taking the mirrors apart....get ready for the little metal balls to fall out of their seats. 2 fell out onto my temporary workbench and bounced into the grass. Saw one and did a sweep with a magnet to find the other.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially mctrophy. FYI for anyone taking the mirrors apart....get ready for the little metal balls to fall out of their seats. 2 fell out onto my temporary workbench and bounced into the grass. Saw one and did a sweep with a magnet to find the other.
Curiously, my balls stayed in place, I had the impression they were crimped in (yeah, yeah, sounds painful). But maybe they were just held in grease.
They even stayed in place while I sawed off the lug that stops the mirror folding fully (evil thought to prevent the mounting frame breaking if I have another "event", not yet fitted to the bike).

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, this forum has the answers. I took a mirror off to paint it, and those washers got mixed up. Thanks for the info on the proper order. However, I also seem to have lost one of the little ball bearings -- looks like there should be three but I found only two. I'll more thoroughly search my garage floor tomorrow, but assuming I can't find number three, has anyone put it back together with less than three, or found a suitable substitute?

Once again, this forum has the answers. I took a mirror off to paint it, and those washers got mixed up. Thanks for the info on the proper order. However, I also seem to have lost one of the little ball bearings -- looks like there should be three but I found only two. I'll more thoroughly search my garage floor tomorrow, but assuming I can't find number three, has anyone put it back together with less than three, or found a suitable substitute?
I think you'll find it will sit at a slightly different angle (shouldn't be a problem), also its foldability (technical term) will be diminished; again, shouldn't matter.
Easy enough to undo the stem from the base when on the bike, you can't really lose anything by trying it.

Unless it tends to bend the stud???

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get what you need from any good bicycle shop..........

A BB is nearly the same size. When I was playing around with designing an extender I substituted BBs in the second pivot joint.
Yep, a BB works fine. In fact, somewhere around here I have 97 of them. That's b/c I had to buy 100 to get the 3 I needed. Want me to mail you some
smile.png
?

I never use the folding mirrors...so..I took the flat metal plate out, nested all the cone washers, added some flat washers to make up the lost space and tightened up the mirrors in a farther out position. Now I can actually see behind my elbows..