mirror washer combination

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would you mirror be loose? mine is a bit loose. I keep folding my mirror and now one of the side became loose...

Old topic - 

Right mirror was a bit loose so I took it off and cleaned the ball bearings and the plate with the indents and gave it a thin smear of grease.

Took out the washer stack and cleaned them up a bit and put them back in the same orientation as mcatrophy posted (())(()).  The coating was coming off a couple of them and there was some evident corrosion. With the coating gone, I expect corrosion will get worse despite the fact that I greased them lightly and they will lose their "spring".  Anybody know where you can get replacements for these?  Yamaha parts fiche doesn't list them separately that I could find.

Old topic - 

Right mirror was a bit loose so I took it off and cleaned the ball bearings and the plate with the indents and gave it a thin smear of grease.  With the coating gone, I expect corrosion will get worse despite the fact that I greased them lightly and they will lose their "spring".  Anybody know where you can get replacements for these?  Yamaha parts fiche doesn't list them separately that I could find.
RossKean,

www.anywho.com  is the for-real Yellow Pages on the Internet.  Nuts and bolts is a separate business heading there.  Click the YP tab, put in that heading, and give a local ZIP code.  You will get a list of local fastener sellers.  You can Sort that list by Distance, with that ZIP code.  Measure what you have, and call ahead to verify stock.  I don't think the spring-washer dimensions are too critical, for the mirrors.

McMaster-Carr has replacements, I just put new washers in mine due to the rust. The M-C washers are found under the listing of Belleville (sp?) washers. The ones I chose were stainless steel so won't have to worry about the rust. They come in packs of 12 so I bought 2 packs since there are 16 washers required. The part # is: 96475K346. $9.67 per.   2 required. Shipping is $7.50 usually. Pretty fast, UPS.

The dimensions are: 10mm I.D. 20mm O.D.   0.9mm thick. 

I also have some new black flange nuts if you would like I can mail you some. They are not acorns but I couldn't find them anywhere. These work perfectly and are not visible when installed. Had to buy a bag of them so I have extras. 

Hope this helps

Measure what you have, and call ahead to verify stock.  I don't think the spring-washer dimensions are too critical, for the mirrors.
Probably not critical but I would get Yamaha parts (if available) - just because I know they are right.

I know pretty much all the local places for hardware and haven't really asked around for these.  One of those things I don't need right now but likely will in the future.  Has anyone replaced these washers?

McMaster-Carr has replacements, I just put new washers in mine due to the rust. The M-C washers are found under the listing of Belleville (sp?) washers. The ones I chose were stainless steel so won't have to worry about the rust. They come in packs of 12 so I bought 2 packs since there are 16 washers required. The part # is: 96475K346. $9.67 per.   2 required. Shipping is $7.50 usually. Pretty fast, UPS.

The dimensions are: 10mm I.D. 20mm O.D.   0.9mm thick. 

I also have some new black flange nuts if you would like I can mail you some. They are not acorns but I couldn't find them anywhere. These work perfectly and are not visible when installed. Had to buy a bag of them so I have extras. 

Hope this helps
Thanks.

Acorn nuts are OK.  I can order from MC in Canada.  Pretty pricy for washers!

I wonder if the SS has similar springiness?  Probably won't do anything until the next time I have them apart.

The McMaster-Carr stainless Belleville washers were identical dimensionally to the originals. I installed them in the same orientation with some marine grease on the stem and on the 

rotating area after cleaning the rust out of the detents. Smooth as butter.