Misfire and then died.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccormilla

Reaction score
Riding back from work last week I was riding along the motorway. It was very hot that day and the bike had been left running a couple of times whilest I was off it, but it had cooled down again on the motorway no problem. I noticed that as I opened the throttle passing cars it gave a slight hiccup. The further I went the worse it got, just gently rolling on resulted in stutters and hiccups. As I approached the next off the bike was loosing speed and wouldn't even hold a steady throttle.

I bailed at the junction and as I slowed for the roundabout the bike cut out. It started again, but couldn't even pull enough to get me around the round about. After leaving it 30 minutes I started it again and all sounded fine again so I tried to go again. I made about 4-5 miles before the hiccup was felt again and within a mile or two the bike was bucking and stuttering. Another 10 minute cool down on the hard shoulder gave me enough distance to get to the services where I called it quits and called for recovery.

The garage came to pick the bike up the following day and the day after that their mechanic did 40 miles on it, but without incident, no misfire or problems. There were no warning lights and no fault codes recorded. I had done about 110m when this all started, from a full tank. I did notice that the fuel consumption dropped as I was having this problem even though I was going slower, not by much 37.6 to 37.3.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so what caused it? Anyone any ideas?

The bike is a 2008 fjr with 40000m. Last service was a minor at 36k and there's never been any other engine problems.

I've had minor engine hiccups caused by bad fuel. It cleared up after I used up the fuel in the tank and filled with fresh stuff. Since your case is extreme, if there is something in the fuel tank that shouldn't be there then you should be able to siphon some out into a clear glass jar and see it.

Something else just occurred to me, since it was hot and you had left it idling once or twice, does the fan come on when it normally would? How is the coolant level in the overflow tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
The temp did rise a lot, it's been hot here in the U.k for a couple of weeks for once, but the temp came down once I hit the motorway and the fans were working normaly.

I thought about muck in the tank as I've had this before, but in a carbed bike and that would cut to 3 cylinders. Wasn't sure how it would affect an injected bike. This wasn't just cutting to 3 this was wipeout of 2-3 cylinders, but then cleared for a few miles after it cooled down????

It could also be an electrical problem. The Gen 2 FJRs have been known to have corrosion in some of the ground spiders causing all sorts of strange problems. Search this forum for spiders and you will find a lot of information, including some fixes.

It could also be an electrical problem. The Gen 2 FJRs have been known to have corrosion in some of the ground spiders causing all sorts of strange problems. Search this forum for spiders and you will find a lot of information, including some fixes.
+1, also check your battery terminals, and make sure they are tight, if you have a Power Commander check the wire connections. I have the same thing happen to me, it feels like it's running out of gas and or mis firing.

Picked the bike up this afternoon as the garage couldn't find anything wrong or get the bike to play up after taking it out for a 40m run.

I filled it up and put injection cleaner in and took a slightly longer way home to give it a 35m run. Seems ok. I'll be doing about 220m tomorrow so lets hope it's ok.

I'll read up on the spiders though as the only problem I've had so far has been a back brake light staying on and a non working left indicator, supposedly down to corrosion in the switch gear and a connection down at the front of the bike somewhere. The bike gets used in all weathers including our salt filled winters and although it's washed every week I certainly don't strip the fairing or anything like I should after a winter season.

Gas cap / fuel venting issue?
+1 This sounds a lot like a pinched vent line. They wouldn't find anything because when they lifted the tank, the line became un-pinched. If they were careful when they dropped the tank and the vent lines went back as they should, no more problem. And it all fits with the hot day too. More vapor in the tank that expands in the heat. Plus you were down a few gallons, rather than full tank.

You may have an ignition switch problem. There is a recall on the 2008 for that. I had that problem, the dealer replaced the switch, and I've had no more problems so far. My trouble seem to come up riding in hot temps.

Good luck

I saw the details about the ignition switch on here and had mine changed. It wasn't a recall issue in the U.K, but mine is an import and other than the time taken in getting the part, no problems.

After picking up the bike last week I did 220m on Wednesday and then another 190 on Friday, no problems any day. Friday was a bit warmer, 77, but not as hot as the day I had the trouble when I remember seeing it hit 90, that's hot for us. I suspect that it might well have been a vent pipe problem. If it happens again I'll know to open the fuel cap and listen for a sucking when I do.

Thanks.

listen for a sucking

My Gen II friends hear sucking every time they fire up their bikes. :assassin:
Didn't know how anyone with a Gen II could possibly be your friend :friends: after all the insults of their bikes. :headbonk:
:huh:

As expressed in Antigone by Sophocles "No one loves the messenger who brings bad news." :D
I hope for your sake no-one shoots the messenger :trinibob: .

listen for a sucking

My Gen II friends hear sucking every time they fire up their bikes. :assassin:
Didn't know how anyone with a Gen II could possibly be your friend :friends: after all the insults of their bikes. :headbonk:
:huh:

As expressed in Antigone by Sophocles "No one loves the messenger who brings bad news." :D
I hope for your sake no-one shoots the messenger :trinibob: .
My entire life can be summed up on one phrase:

"Shot at and missed....shit at and hit."

Sigh!