Modify stock muffler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, I am one of those old farts you are talking about and I have just one question regarding putting nitrous on you FJR? Where would you be able to use it except on the track. I have an 07 stock and I have never found a situation where I could use anymore power than I have already. I have gone from 65 mph to 115 in what seemed like the blink of an eye. It was not nearly ready to stop winding up when I backed off. I know others on this forum who have gone much faster than me but I did not buy it to win races, just to have a good time. I have not been disappointed. As to drilling the mufflers I agree with some of others, be careful what you wish for as it may not be that loud or sound that good. I would try to locate someone in your area if possible that has put on slip ons and see how it sounds. Just my opinion.

OK.............Your last bike was a VTX 1800 with V&H Bigshots as was MY last bike.

[SIZE=24pt]PROOF[/SIZE]

VTX072.jpg

I thought that it was the fastest, baddest bike in town compared with the Harleys. (Which it was!) But the FJR changed my attitude about riding motorcycles completely. I used to ride without a helmet or protective gear at all, even though my brother is an MSF instructor in Texas. Since getting the FJR in March of this year, I have put on 7000 STEALTHY miles, compared to the 16,000 miles in 5 years put on my VTX. I don't do ATGATT, but I ALWAYS wear a helmet and protective gloves and an armored jacket.

Shortly after getting the FJR, I considered buying aftermarket slip ons to bump up the sound, but I have decided that I like the stealthy sound of the stock pipes. I guess that I finally "grew up" after 53 years!

Anyway, my point is, (if there really is any point to this post!) if you drill out your stock muffler, all you will probably end up with is a $hitty sounding semi-quiet exhaust. Then you will wind up buying a decent aftermarket slip on, or full exhaust system (been there, done that) to get the sound/performance that you are looking for. So then you will have trashed stock mufflers that you will have to replace if you want to go back, plus the expensive aftermarket exhaust that you bought to attract attention of the cagers that are about to "cut you off". But to each your own!!

P.S. On the left handlebar close to your thumb is a button called "the horn" to attrack attention to IDOTS! Use it wisely, and often!

Don't screw up the stock cans. Save your money and buy the slipons when you can afford them.

Maybe your mom will raise your allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lest we all forget guys, ..."a [young] man's gotta do what a [young] man's gotta do!" I did, [i'll bet] you did too, & he must as well. None of my previous bikes were particularly quiet, ...some were insanely loud! Now that I'm trying to preserve what little high frequency hearing I've got left, and my pleasure is longer journeys, I like the stock cans just fine [& also wear earplugs], but 15yrs ago you'd never have convinced me!

I don't want to do it and get 300 miles from home this weekend only to find if destroying the mufler.any advice?
Fuk yeah!!

Buy two cans of soup, eat the shit, pop some holes in the ends, pack with steel wool an clamp em on!!

Loud, stinky, an a real attention grabber in the parking lot. Jus like a real biker.

Hell when I want loud I just run without those heavy bastages.

yer welcome.

:jester:

Eric, I am one of those old farts you are talking about and I have just one question regarding putting nitrous on you FJR? Where would you be able to use it except on the track. I have an 07 stock and I have never found a situation where I could use anymore power than I have already. I have gone from 65 mph to 115 in what seemed like the blink of an eye. It was not nearly ready to stop winding up when I backed off. I know others on this forum who have gone much faster than me but I did not buy it to win races, just to have a good time. I have not been disappointed. As to drilling the mufflers I agree with some of others, be careful what you wish for as it may not be that loud or sound that good. I would try to locate someone in your area if possible that has put on slip ons and see how it sounds. Just my opinion.
GUNNY!

My experience with cheaply modding exhaust is when I completely removed the exhaust after the Cat on my '89 Vette. It sounded wicked cool from the outside, but resonated so bad on the inside that screws were coming loose. Possibly not a good idea on a 2-wheel vehicle? Mayhaps it had something to do with blowing a head gasket at only 65K miles?

I raced it at Famoso and it was noticeably slower than when I had the stock exhaust on. I found that freeing up the exhaust without extensive mods to the engine are only going to DECREASE torque and make it slower (not to mention causing valve and head damage.)

The aftermarket pipes are designed by engineers with fancy computers that can measure airflow and soundwaves. If it worked, there would be businesses that specialized in drilling out the stock exhaust.

I have also heard that these bikes pull low 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile. That's $100k+ Corvette ZR1 territory. I think I'm content with stock...

I have also heard that these bikes pull low 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile. That's $100k+ Corvette ZR1 territory. I think I'm content with stock...
Or low 11 seconds...

I just did a 11.36s 1/4 mile run today on mine :)

(sorry for the slight hijack; )

MY HERO :yahoo:

I have never ran the 1/4 only 1/8 mile tracks, but your 1/8 mile et is as good as my VTX 1800 With its 40 nitrous shot!!

It runs 7.40's in the 1/8, my fairly stock FZ-1 ran 7.10's and I crashed my Gixxer 750 on a road Course Track ( 7.30's at the dragstrip )

And am just now well enough to try the FJR on the track, So I hope to try it in the next few weeks.

Remember guys I am only 40 years old.

Maybe I am a little young for this bike, but this weekend I went about 750 miles on it and was comfy and still made some ( inexperianced I am sure ) Ducati riders happy to hang with me in the Smokey mountain twisties.

Yes these bikes need some more power, but they are still the best comprimise on the market I believe.

Remember guys I am only 40 years old.Maybe I am a little young for this bike,
:blink:

Oh no you didn't....

Bro, I haven't even broken 30 so what does that make me? Old fart mentality in a young man's body?

DISCLAIMER: No offense to the old farts, of course.

As far as exhaust, just pony up the loot for a slip-on system and maybe a PCIII to compliment it.

I did exactly as you noted, drilling through the existing holes in the tailpipe to create the same diameter holes in the baffle. This has resulted in crisper throttle response; the bike immediately lunges forward when suddenly twisting the throttle, the exhaust note is much deeper, in fact annoys my wife when she is a passenger, fuel economy has ever so slightly improved, & I believe the engine runs slightly cooler judging by the temperature gauge. I am pleased with the results as I have been making this same modification to previous bikes I've owned.

Remember guys I am only 40 years old.Maybe I am a little young for this bike,
:blink:

Oh no you didn't....

Bro, I haven't even broken 30 so what does that make me? Old fart mentality in a young man's body?

DISCLAIMER: No offense to the old farts, of course.

As far as exhaust, just pony up the loot for a slip-on system and maybe a PCIII to compliment it.
Hey,

did just the same as you 2 years ago.

But I do have a pcIII and dynoed her afterwards.

The sound of the pipes are not so loud for me, using my Schubert and phones.

Actually the sound is just reasonable , even my wife does not think it is too loud.....

So I'm satisfied with the result, if all these other boyz think it is too loud, let'em just do that.

Perhaps it was a reply from me (Ronnie Retread) that you had read. I have an 04 FJR presently with 52,000km. At 23,000km I did use a drill bit to extend through the existing holes at muffler ends & drill the same number of holes in the baffle that lies just in behind these end caps. My findings as stated earlier are: the throttle response is now instantaneous, at 100km/ph when grabbing a handful of throttle the bike now lunges forward. I find the engine runs slightly cooler OR at least less heat is evident. Fuel economy has moderately improved. The sound is louder & deeper, not objectionable to me but not appreciated by my wife when she is a passenger. This modification I have done to every motorcycle I have ever owned ( all 28) with no apparent adverse effect. In fact, with the sophisticated electronics & numerous sensors on the FJR which compensate for such modest changes in breathing or exhausting, I find the results on this bike to be the best yet. Hope this answers some of your concerns.

I while back I seem to remember someone talking about drilling out the mufflers on these bikes .If I remember correct they took a drill and drilled where the 5 small holes are ( stock these holes don't appear to do anything, but if you drill the part of the mufler behind them it will change the sound of the bike. how many have tried this, and were there any adverse effects.

I worry that doing that may create too much heat on the back cover of the muffler. I don't want to do it and get 300 miles from home this weekend only to find if destroying the mufler.

any advice?

You can't undo it..lol

to each his own but i look at it this way..

LEO are trained to SEE and HEAR speeding motorcycles.

Why would I want to be HEARD?

Why would I want to even give the PERCEPTION of a CROTCH ROCKET by having a LOUD EXHAUST?

I am just a fuddy-duddy riding along on my QUIET motorcycle with saddlebags. Everyone knows those that's not the profile of a speed monger lol...
Pretty funny!

LEO's aren't "trained" to hear loud cars or bikes.... They just do...

No different than anyone else. The real training and experience is

in their visual speed estimations.. Which, in my State, is all a LEO

needs to write you a speed tag..They don't even have to have a

scientific device (lidar, radar, pace or clock) to back up their visual estimation..

Thats just icing on the cake....

WW
Now that should be a CRIME Visual Eastimation !!!!!!!!

OK.............Your last bike was a VTX 1800 with V&H Bigshots as was MY last bike.

[SIZE=24pt]PROOF[/SIZE]

VTX072.jpg

Jest wondering Bogus, that's a fake oil stain, right? Bit of liquid street cred with the cruiser/hardley crowd?? Poser!!

Of course it's a fake stain. <_< Everone knows that Hondas and Yamahas don't leak oil!! :yahoo:

I while back I seem to remember someone talking about drilling out the mufflers on these bikes .If I remember correct they took a drill and drilled where the 5 small holes are ( stock these holes don't appear to do anything, but if you drill the part of the mufler behind them it will change the sound of the bike. how many have tried this, and were there any adverse effects.

I worry that doing that may create too much heat on the back cover of the muffler. I don't want to do it and get 300 miles from home this weekend only to find if destroying the mufler.

any advice?
OK. I have a riding budy who bought a used '03 from a dealer in Las Cruces, New Mexico. He now lives in Paso Robles, CA and is not on this forum! His mufflers were "modified" by drilling out some fiberglass behind the 6 small 1/4" holes in the periphery of the main exhaust port (1" hole in the end). Otherwise the mufflers were OEM.

To me, the sound is anemic. Something like pfffft, pfffft, pfffft, pfffft, & repeat ad nauseum!

"Rudy" wishes he had a stock set! So... if you want to trade for an already modified (by drilling long holes through the stock muffler's 6 hole fiberglass contents with an extra long 1/4 inch drill bit [what a mess that must have been?], then send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with Rudy. I'll bet he'll swap you his set for your unmodified set, in the blink of an eye!