Modular/Flip up Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schuberth C3 is the only way to go.........

Now available in the US...

R
That is one expensive helmet!
johnny80s, they have a cheaper model made in Italy for Italians; $9.99, plus $1.49 for the optional chinstrap! jes' sayin'

p10059685000_detail.jpg
The Nolan is made in Italy you fecking drunk mick! No more PWI for you. I guess that means you won't be able post at all any more huh?
It would be a serious and alarming hindrance, no doubt about it!

I'm not a modular helmet fan, sorry. I feel more secure having a full one-piece chin bar, not some plastic latched little do-hicky.
I feel the N103 design is built well enough, as long as I take care to make sure both latches click. It's a decent trade-off so I don't have to dick with my glasses every goddamned single time I put my helmet on or take it off. That gets real old, real quick, especially when it causes a $200 pair of glasses to eventually break. If I didn't wear glasses, I probably wouldn't wear a flip-up either, except I also really like the buckle and the flip-down sun visor design.

Edit: the N103 latch system is steel, not plastic. I'm talking about the pieces that hold the helmet together, not the little plastic pieces that open/close it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the HJC iS MAX-BT Modular (in XXXL size), helmet of which I have wired it with my Chatterbox Bluetooth. It has the flip down visor, decent air vents, and is comfortable and noise is not too bad. its not heavy which helps my neck has some issues from a traffic accident back in 1989. I also have a Fulmer Modus Modular helmet in flat black (XXXL), used maybe 5 times since I received 2 when my insurance company reimbursed me for my Harley Helmet when I crashed my Vespa in trabuco cyn in 2007.

If anyone wants the Fulmer (I still have the box too), pm me with an offer. I also have a clear red face shield as well as the stock clear. XXXL is huge, Like Salad Bowl huge! dr

I like to keep 2 helmets on hand for general purpose.

The #1 helmet is a Shoei x-11 and I love it,espically in the summer, not so much in the winter.

Just purchased the 103 last month and I have to say I "like" it compared to the Shoei.

The drop down sun visor is really handy, and the pinlock system that came with it is a god send in the winter and rain! The fit could be better, espically the chin area as mentioned earlier. I have a 2x head and my chin is in constant "light" touch with the inside of the helmet.

IMHO the noise level is actually less than the x-11.

Its a keeeper for me.

I tried the EXO and it did not fit to my forehead at all.To each his (or her) own!

I have Shoei Multitec and Schubert C3 equipped with Scala Rider G4. I like both of them, Multitec is for me more "robust", C3 is lighter and I like integrated sun-shield. We have with my wife same size of helmet and she is using one of those when riding with me and she like more C3.

I have Shoei Multitec and Schubert C3 equipped with Scala Rider G4. I like both of them, Multitec is for me more "robust", C3 is lighter and I like integrated sun-shield. We have with my wife same size of helmet and she is using one of those when riding with me and she like more C3.
How does the MultiTec compare to the C3 in side by side tests? I love the MultiTec but mine is getting old and I might get another but the C3 is also in the running.

I have the 103, I love the gadgets but, the helmet is not worth what it cost. Plus the gadgets don't last. The Nolan Bluetooth was OK but there are problems with it, the cable input went bad shortly after I got the helmet. The bluetooth resets the volume to "low" every time it is shut off, that means it has to be turned up every time it's turned on. The volume "up" button wore out. There is a pin lock inner shield works well but, the inner shield actually scratches the outer shield. Plus in the rain, water gets between the shields.

I also have a Shoei with a Cardo Scala Rider which is a much better setup. I kind of miss the sun visor but, it isn't worth putting up with the rest of the Nolan.

DC

I was a Scorpion helmet fan - still own an EXO 1000 after 4 years; great helmet, thougha bit heavy. I wanted a modular, so went with the EXO 900 based on my good previous experience.

Ugh... I've owned mine almost 9 months and have tried like hell to make friends with it... it's pure demon seed!

Maybe I got a lemon, maybe mine was made on a Monday or Friday... who knows..?

Lots of problems with it Scorpion won't cover under their warranty; things like the internal snaps for the liner breaking without being manipulated, just through normal wear. The sun screen keeps coming out of it tracks and will wedge itself to the point where it won't move up or down. A couple of times I've had to pull over to fix it before I had a wreck.

The sunscreen won't even stay all the way up now, rough roads are the worst for shaking it loose and having it fall at times when it's unexpected and unwanted.

Don't even think about doing the transformer thing to see what it'll be like as a 3/4 helmet, it won't go back to gether as solid as it was prior to taking the chin piece off - no joke, it took me an hour to get it back together and I'm still not certain I trust it.

The aerodynamics are horrible - I thought it was the buffeting coming off the windscreen of the FJR, but it turned out to be the helmet. I also own an FJ1200 and Triumph Street Triple - the EXO 900 is the last helmet I want to wear when riding in the wind - the helmet's buffeting is horrible and don't even think about trying to turn your head if running freeway speeds... it doesn't like that idea at all. The outer helmet shell is BIG, the modular workings make it heavy, and it's a leaky thing in the wet weather.

I'm riding a Bell Star helmet now and truly happy. My EXO 900's sitting in it's helmet bag in the storage closet, I feel I wasted good money on it, and I'm pondering just sending it to the folks over at Goodwill.