Modular helmet or solid..which do you prefer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quieter (from the 2nd line of the thread title) is via ear plugs. No helmet is quiet enough on its own to save your hearing. You don't sacrifice hearing important things around you because everything else is quieter, too.
I never leave home without earplugs.

earplugs.png

I know you are looking to keep the cost down but the Symax III vs IS-MAX is lighter and quieter. Also supports PINLOCK now. About $100 more. If it was me, I'd take care of windscreen first, hearing protection is a "no brainer". The built in (optional) Chatterbox is horrible, so don't buy that.

I have the same helmet and was considering getting another one as well due to the turbulence and noise also.

That was before I installed a Cee Bailey's +4h+2w Flip and the difference was amazing.

All the way down the turbulence is gone along with the majority of the noise, just smooth air right at my neck and visor.

All the way up all I hear is the engine. At cruising speed in the rain (75-85 mph for me), I don't even get water on my torso or visor when it's all the way up.

You might want to invest in a windscreen first and then fine tune the helmet next. No turbulence makes a big difference.

It looks like this has boiled down to three areas that should all improve your situation:

1. Get a better fitting helmet. Icon, HJC, whatever, but you should take some time wearing it around in the store before buying and it should be tight enough that when you're wearing it and you grab the chinbar and wiggle it, it makes the skin on your face move - the helmet should not be mobile on your head. Generally, full-face helmets are quieter than modulars, but a really good (read: expensive) modular may very well be quieter than an inexpensive full-face.

2. Get a bigger windshield. I like to look over the windshield, not through it. I'm your height and I've had pretty good results with the Givi windshield on my Gen 1. The CalSci and Cee Bailey's are really nice also and have a big range of available heights and widths, but they're a good bit more money (and better material also). The Laminar Lip could be worth a try, but you can get the Givi windshield for only a few bucks more than the Lip. I've had the Lip on several bikes and it does work for me.

3. Wear earplugs (if you don't already do so). I don't ride around the block without them and virtually all of the serious riders I know follow the same practice. Buy the assortment from Rider Wearhouse or from your local safety supply vendor, find a brand/model that works for you and then buy a box of them so you never run out and there is no excuse for not wearing them. If you ride a good bit and don't wear earplugs, you will have hearing loss as a result, guaranteed.

I would love to get a new modular helmet because I wear glasses, but currently I'm wearing a Shoei RF-1100 which is very comfortable and pretty quiet. I'm sorely tempted to go all-in and get a Schuberth, but at $700 it's a big investment.

Pete

1. Will the noise lessen with a solid body helmet? With a good fitting one it should. I used to own an HJC Symax II. It was extremely noisy, and I sold it.

2. What do you wear? Arai Profile

3. I have the 05 with no heat modification so I like having a lot of air on my body.m is there any suggestions for a windshield that will also help with the noise? I have a +5 +4 rifle which really reduced buffeting/noise compared to the stock wind screen.

4. Will a cheap solid helmet reduce the noise? 200.00 HJC or Scorpion or Icon? If not, I'd just replace with another IS-Max. I don't know.

In 2 days it will be my first ride on a FJR that i just picked up. Would using a Bombardier Modular helmet for snowmobiling work just as well on the bike. I happen to have 2 of these. I have a custom set of ear plugs that I didn't use yet but have ridden sleds for years. Aren't sleds a lot more noisy? My current bike is a Suzuki Boulevard C90. Looking forward to something that will ride better than a couch on wheels.

I'm 6-2 but only have a 32" inseam...all my height is in the upper body. I was tired of the noise until I got the LL installed. Made a huge difference for me. I can let the air hit the helmet, and the air stream is smooth and quiet, or I can deflect it completely over my head. The LL takes out the vortices that cause the noise and vibration.

TomInCA Ditto. 6'2" 32 inseam. What's an LL? Only had this bike 2 weeks. Windshield up all the way = less noise buffeting, down = cooler riding so far. 2006FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2 days it will be my first ride on a FJR that i just picked up. Would using a Bombardier Modular helmet for snowmobiling work just as well on the bike. I happen to have 2 of these. I have a custom set of ear plugs that I didn't use yet but have ridden sleds for years. Aren't sleds a lot more noisy? My current bike is a Suzuki Boulevard C90. Looking forward to something that will ride better than a couch on wheels.
I am new to my FJR also... but I had a Icon Alliance SSR and a Scorpion-900 (modular) and knew than neither one was working well. Both were loud as hell, even with earplugs, they seemed too loud. I just get a lot more wind than I am used to passing my helmet.

Bought a Shoei Qwest and I think I have found what will work for me, it is much more aerodynamic than the others.. and the modular was neat, but good lord that helmet was huge and really damned heavy. The huge part made for more wind noise.

I'm 6-2 but only have a 32" inseam...all my height is in the upper body. I was tired of the noise until I got the LL installed. Made a huge difference for me. I can let the air hit the helmet, and the air stream is smooth and quiet, or I can deflect it completely over my head. The LL takes out the vortices that cause the noise and vibration.

TomInCA Ditto. 6'2" 32 inseam. What's an LL? Only had this bike 2 weeks. Windshield up all the way = less noise buffeting, down = cooler riding so far. 2006FJR
LL stands for "Laminar Lip"

https://www.laminarlip.com/

I do not have one on my FJR but really liked the one I had on my Cagiva Gran Canyon.

Bought Scorpion 900 Transformer. It is better, well, different. Fits tighter so the buffering is less distracting but only below 85mph. The sound of the wnd has significantly less hi frequency sonics but there is a dull, low frequency whirring a low,hum. I didn't office it until the fifth hour of my ride. It is lighter. The ventilation is better. So around town,M in much better shape-that comprises 90% of my rides.

But, today I'm on day two of three, I rode 12hours today. Interstate, mountain passes.

Earplugs will do a lot for me.

Really want the laminar lip !

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Will the noise lessen with a solid body helmet?

2. What do you wear?
I've mostly used Shoei helmets and my last one was a RF900. I really wanted a modular (flip-up) helmet for the convenience of being able to flip up the front when talking to someone, taking a drink, kissing the wife or just to not look like a robber when making a quick run into the convenience store. But the big trade-off for all those conveniences has been more noise. But using ear plugs makes it a non-issue for me. And even with the quietest helmet, ear plugs are a good idea to save your hearing. Oh yea, the one I bought was a Nolan N103.

Only had this bike 2 weeks. Windshield up all the way = less noise buffeting, down = cooler riding so far. 2006FJR
Welcome to the forum, Forkswetrider! :yahoo:

I had the same issue with the OEM shield and bought an aftermarket one asap. Lot's of reading on this forum led me to get a Cee Bailey shield that's 2 inches taller than stock with a reverse flip. I love that shield for summer riding around here because I still get decent airflow when it's down, but can get that cone of silence when it's raised up. I also have a Vstream shield for winter use and a shortened OEM shield for those rare weeks when temps get really hot.

If you ever get over near Sumner, let me know if you want to try my shield for a test ride. It only takes a couple minutes to swap shields and you're welcome to try any of mine. Just send me a PM on this board.

Solid for me, it is just what I am used to and comfortable with. Current lids in use are Shoei X11 and X12.

try both a modular and solid. bail off the bike at 65 onto your face and see which one offers better protection. Go solid!

Modular has a weak point.

hehehe boy we get some pretty tough guys on the internet don't we :) gotta luv it!

Ask yourself this... what is most of your riding? is it pretty spirited? are you testing the limits? or are you pretty sedate? less spirited and kind of calm?

If you're spirited and testing, fullface for sure. Less so? the modular may be good enough for you, and add some additional comfort and functionality.

Is there more to it than that?

+1 on earplugs

I love my Nolan N90. Lots of people discouraged me from getting the modular, but I come from years of wearing half and 3/4 helmets. If it makes me more likely to wear it (and it definitely does) it is a huge benefit. I still can't wear the Nolan or my HJC solid on the cruiser. It's loud and the exhaust just rolls around in the helmet and give me a headace. With the half and the 3/4 I hear the exhaust naturally and I love the sound.

I don't ride the FJR without the Nolan modular.

The invention of the Modular, or Flip face helmet was a godsend for me.

As it's well documented here, I drink too excess every chance I get.. This leads to projectile vomiting pretty much daily on the bike or off.

Now mind you off the bike isn't a big deal (except for the poor fuker behind me with his three kids and the windows down) however, the regurgitated beef and bean burrito in me helmet causes much consternation and gnashing of teeth on my part..

Not to mention driving in the wrong lane or ditches due to poor visibility. With the flip you puke towards yer lap but the windflow diverts it down.. Nobody get's last nights gin an tonic infused burrito on there windshield or kids! A fukin win win!

The damned full face shields just don't provide purge space.

So.. If you are a drunk like me? Buya flip and don't look back
:lol: :lol: Made my day -- I am easily amused though :D

The invention of the Modular, or Flip face helmet was a godsend for me.

As it's well documented here, I drink too excess every chance I get.. This leads to projectile vomiting pretty much daily on the bike or off.

Now mind you off the bike isn't a big deal (except for the poor fuker behind me with his three kids and the windows down) however, the regurgitated beef and bean burrito in me helmet causes much consternation and gnashing of teeth on my part..

Not to mention driving in the wrong lane or ditches due to poor visibility. With the flip you puke towards yer lap but the windflow diverts it down.. Nobody get's last nights gin an tonic infused burrito on there windshield or kids! A fukin win win!

The damned full face shields just don't provide purge space.

So.. If you are a drunk like me? Buya flip and don't look back
Look! I agree, Bust is a classic. If u ain't rollin in yer beer or yer wine glass after that... there's no help for you :)

I have an 06 with stock windscreen and seat. I am 6'1" 32" inseam. I keep seat in the down position. I used to use Shoei Rf-1000 (full face). Lots of buffeting and wind noise. Got an HJC Symax II (flip front) with the internal sun visor and the buffeting improved greatly and wind noise reduced slightly. The Shoei looks more streamlined but does not ride that way. The convenience and comfort of the Symax II is great. I wear ear plugs so noise is not an issue.

What would I want to wear in a crash? The Shoei full face for sure!!! I am sure if you put a huge windshield out front the buffeting will decrease, but so will the looks and cooling in hot weather. It's all a compromise.

Ed