Modular Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolar55

Reaction score
Hi folks. I recently purchased a Scorpion EXO900. I like the modular design and the internal sunscreen etc. The venting seems adequate and the fog free shield works great too. The problem is the noise. There is so much wind noise that it drives me nuts. Is this a common factor in all modular helmets or just unique to the EXO 900? I'm really thinking about going back to a ful face bucket. Either way I'd really like to find something that suits that's not made in China. Any experience out there with Nolan or AGV? Perhaps Shoei or Arai etc.? Thanks Lonnie

Flip-Face helmets tend to be louder than Full-Face. I ride with earplugs so it's not an issue with me.
+1. There's just more edges on a modular to make wind noise. For the record, though, my Shoei Multi-tec is quieter than my Nolan N-100 was.

But you should wear earplugs anyway.

Either way I'd really like to find something that suits that's not made in China.
My #1 priority in choosing a helmet is one that is most likely to absorb impact and save my brain from injury in case of a get-off. I like to support American-made products wherever possible, but not when I have to risk personal injury to do so.

Have you read this?

Multitec wearer here... a very loud and noisy helmet. Wear ear plugs, keep your head either in clean air or behind a big shield. While the modulars are convenient for glasses and snacks along the ride, I think this will probably be my last. YMMV

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I like modular helmets. Over the years I've worn a Zeus and two different HJC modulars. They were all noisy in the wind.

... I'd really like to find something that suits that's not made in China. Any experience out there with Nolan or AGV?Thanks
With regards to AGV: they bought Lazer helmets (Belgian -- made in EU, maybe E. EU?) in order to add a modular helmet to their line-up. Recently, they discontinued those and replaced them with a modular made in (you guessed it...) China.

If you wear eye-glasses (or, frequently talk to people -- or, like to have the option of talking to people with your helmet on and not SHOUTING), a modular is 'handy'.

You're welcome.

AllY'all should be wearing ear-plugs ('course -- ya' won't be hearing anyone talking to you with 'em in... :blink: ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. That is what I thought-the modulars are all noisy. And yea I do wear eyeglasses. Helps a bunch with seeing so as to not run into things. And yes ear plugs would be a great idea. I only wish I'd have worn them long ago while doing lots of different things. They have now been replaced with hearing aids. Trust me, when they say "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" they ain't lyin' to ya. But yea the convenience of the modular is super abd the main reason for trying it out. But I think I'm gonna have to go back to a full face. And probably suck it up and buy what fits the best. Some are just plain uncomfortable. I guess all melons are different.

I always wanted a flip-up helmet but was scared away because of the noise & safety issues.

When I heard about and read the reviews for the Schuberth C3 helmet, I couldn't stand the wait any more and I ordered one from Designer Helmets in England.

While a lot more $$$ than I wanted to spend, I can honestly say it is the BEST helmet I have ever had and it is very quiet!

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-...t/schuberth-c3/

Best regards,

Shane

I have a Nolan modular. I've never had a concern of it opening up if called upon, but I tried an a Shoei RF-1000, and could really feel the difference in molding and contour to the face (mainly it the temple area).

The weight difference was also noticeable.

Ordered a Shoei RF1000 on closeout for big melons "XL". Link if anyone else is shopping.

https://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201001/p/17907

Anyone not happy with their RF1000?

My big concern with modulars is they are so heavy. I am using a Nolan 102 and like it but it is no lightweight. I am interested in the Carbon fiber ones that are pretty new, but the reviews I have heard say they are really loud. Look at the hinge area and the construction metal or plastic etc. I went with the Nolan as it had the best fit snug as I could handle , and still ride all day, and good reviews.

I've used HJC, Shoei and Schuberth modular helments and as others have stated, they all tend to be slightly louder than their full-face, one piece counterparts. As almost all of my rides are 20 miles/minutes or longer, I always wear earplugs or earbuds with my Ipod regardless of which helment I'm currently using.

OBD

Modular:

Less safe in a crash

Much noisier. Ear plugs a must

Heavier

Not worth the "convenience" of ease of talking or putting on sun glasses.

More room for head phones

Full face:

Much lighter

safer

Much nicer graphics.

relatively less room for com. devices.

I gave up on modular a while ago. Check out this site (Shoei has X12 and RF1100 , great deals on X11 and RF1000): https://www.compacc.com Killer deals.

Sam

I love the idea of the modular helmet and think they are VERY convenient, but I've just heard of toooo many cases where they came open in a crash. I want a modular, I love the idea of them, but sadly they are outside my comfort zone for risk... :(