More carbon fiber/weave farkles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
Here are some new pics with the carbon fiber fenda extenda

tyop.jpg

The lower cowl with carbon fiber weave and coated with 3M Paint Defender

w7qc.jpg

84an.jpg

The whole package with carbon fiber/weave accents and parts

zduy.jpg

i6m8.jpg

Allan,

I really like the carbon fiber on the panel below the radiator. Where did you get the material. I coated the panel with 3M Paint Defender but prefer the carbon fiber look. I have the carbon fiber fender extender and would like to marry up the panel.

I have a Suzuki tank pad that has the carbon fiber pattern as well.

I bought the carbon fiber weave on eBay. It is only $6 for 12"x60". It goes on in one piece but worked with only 1/3 of it at a time by cutting the backing into 3 pieces. The key, I found, to keep out all adhered to the panel is apply low heat all over to "set" it in place.

Looks good Allen. That's what I planned to do to mine when it arrives. I already have the material. Any heads up or tricks you learned on applying that stuff to the side panels and tank trim? How did you trim around the hole in the side panel for the bolt, and around the "FJR" logo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an initial thread where I indicated some of the materials and process. As for smoothing out the vinyl, it is a tedious process and requires the use of a heat gun or hair dryer to mold to the contours. The tank trim is the most difficult since it has the biggest curves. As for cutting the holes and FJR logo, I used a very sharp razor/x-acto knife. Since the vinyl is suspended over the holes and there is a slight gap between the FJR logo and the panel, all you have to do is carefully push the blade through the vinyl near the edge then slide it across the vinyl with the blade just touching the panel. This will cut the vinyl, not harm the paint on the panel, and the edge of the hole and indentation will act as your guide for cutting.

Very nice. I thought about covering the inside halves of the saddlebags. Opted for the reflective rear decals instead.