More Help Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PROUD LEO

Reaction score
OK thanks for the answers you guys gave about my graphics questions. Now I have two more.

1. All the bikes I've had in the past have had self canceling turn signals. Is there a kit to remedy this? I'm gonna get my Ole ass killed if I don't get a self cancel devise.

2. Already have scratches on my bags. One is already at the dealer for repainting. Is there any type of film to help protect the bags? One is from my foot but the left one that's at the dealer's I frankly don't don't know how it was done.It's to low on the bag for my foot.

Thank You,

Leon

Last edited by a moderator:
There a forum member who does magic when repainting bodywork, lots of folks use him for the bags. You can send him a PM if it comes up again, his forum name is garauld.

As for self cancelling, I couldn't say. I've never seen any except time-based, and how the heck does it know how long I have to sit at a light?

...1. All the bike I've had in the past have had self canceling turn signals. Is there a kit to remedy this? I'm gonna get my Ole ass killed if I don't get a self cancel devise.

2. Already have scratches on my bags. One is already at the dealer for repainting. Is there any type of film to help protect the bags? One is from my foot but the left one that's at the dealer's I frankly don't don't know how it was done.It's to low on the bag for my foot...
1. There is going to be a large contingent here that will tell you that you will get killed if you DO have self canceling turn signals. They say to train your left thumb. I notice that most signals that don't get canceled happen in places where the rider is distracted by many things happening at once, the very places where you would like to have the signals self cancel. Having ridden sweep in many rides I can tell you that at least 50% of the riders, many with years of experience have problems canceling turn signals. It isn't a matter of counting who, it is more like how often. KisanSignalMinder is simply a programmable timer that cancels the signals. Me no likie because just one setting does not fit many situations. There are signal beepers that beep with each flash. They annoy the shit out of me. My last motorcycle had very, very good self canceling signals but has a steering head sensor that can't be retrofitted plus two other inputs. I have had to retrain my left thumb and very rarely miss the turn signals.

2. Tank Slapper is a pre cut kit that has clear film that goes over the bags and tank like limo tint goes over glass. People have varying degrees of success with this. Good installation is key for this to work. You can get clear sticky 3M sheets which hold better but you have to cut your own parts. I have seen several people that have simply sprayed the bags with black Rhino Liner and were done with it. While it isn't for me, I have to admit that it looks much better than it sounds.

My yamaha vstar 1300 has self cancelling signals. They cancel not based on time, but on distance and time, i think it said 490 feet and 15 seconds which probably is better than time alone. Works out fine most of the time, although once in a while in certain situations i self cancel before the auto cancel. I find on the fjr the easiest way to do things, since I have the AE, is that once i apply the signal, i keep my thumb on the switch to cancel. If you do it enough it becomes a habit. and I find myself doing it on my other bikes too, even the vstar 1300.

Best advice for turn signals is 'cancel and cancel often'. I use the shift to 2nd as a reminder to cancel...find a trigger mechanism that works for you. ;)

Good luck!

--G

I find on the fjr the easiest way to do things, since I have the AE, is that once i apply the signal, i keep my thumb on the switch to cancel. If you do it enough it becomes a habit.
Perfect! That exactly the way I do it. Can't go wrong and it works every time. You get used to it in no time at all! :)