More Slider Information Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riderjohn

Reaction score
I read the threads on sliders. One person brought up something I"d like to hear more about. In garage/drive tip overs, this person felt you would be better off without sliders. Sliders would allow you actually tip over further was the drift if I got it right. Any real world responses in a tip over?

Also, I'm still a bit confused on which manufacturer makes the best unit? I know, opening a can of worms but I'd like more input on which people liked/disliked?

I read the threads on sliders. One person brought up something I"d like to hear more about. In garage/drive tip overs, this person felt you would be better off without sliders. Sliders would allow you actually tip over further was the drift if I got it right. Any real world responses in a tip over?

Ya,

He hasn't had one, at least not with the FJR. <_<

You tip this sucker over in your garage, you better be ready to pay.

Skyway makes a good kit for about $85 bucks (you'll find him in the Vendor forum). It's the best money you ever spent on insurance and that includes that fancy YES policy.

Also, I'm still a bit confused on which manufacturer makes the best unit? I know, opening a can of worms but I'd like more input on which people liked/disliked?
Uhhh... I fail to see why tipping over further (onto the bodywork and motor end covers) would be an advantage. Can you explain this person's logic please?

Best set of sliders? Depends on your criteria. If you want bling, buy expensive blingie ones. If you want sliders that do what they're supposed to do without looking obtrusive, go eBay. Your choice. Sorta like oil and tires.

Better without sliders theory - I am not sure why this person believed this. But I wanted to hear the opinions of others just in case there was something to it. I think the theory was that the sliders would do no good as when the sliders hit the ground, it would just pitch the bike over on it's side. Without them, the saddle bags would catch the bike and the front fairing too. I am seriously looking into sliders and they appear to make a ton of sense.

My cheapy ebay delrin sliders saved my plastic in a "garage" tipover. I was actually in a parking lot, but completely stopped when I allowed the bike to lean too far over to the right. I just stepped over it as it went down. The bike was resting on the slider and the rear bag. No damage to mirrors, bar ends, fairing....nothing on the front end. The rear bag has a slight scuff on the reflector and forward painted plastic. I'd say the sliders already paid for themselves!

I have the EBay Sliders on my 08, and they seem to blend in well, being black.

You really don't notice them from a side view, but they're more visible from the front:

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00007.jpg