Most AE miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the clutch wear will be a non-issue for those who ride their bike normally. The FJR is not known to be hard on clutches and the AE model shouldn't be an exception to that. The computer controlled clutch shouldn't wear any different than the normal hand operated hydraulic unit that comes as the "A" model.

Assuming the reason for this question, I'm waiting to hear from those in the "I Start in Second Gear" crowd after 50,000-80,000 miles. Their clutch wear compared to those who ride the AE with a normal shift progression (shifting 1st-5th) will be the report worth reading. Of course, should their clutch begin to wear, it should then shift REAL smooth. :eek:

Several noobs post asking about the AE and whether we like it. Part of that question is about durability of the clutch system, so I thought it might be interesting to post total miles (and just point 'em to this thread when they ask). ...
My '06 only has 7000 miles, but most of them have been in city commuting, the clutch slipping much more than if a manual. I suspect mine has had some of the heaviest wear of any!

No problems at all with the mechanicals, but one non-critical problem, with the ECU giving a warning:

Never resolved, but gone away (click on the picture for details).

I would have no hesitation in having another (but then it's my only option if I'm to continue riding :huh: ).

No problems at all with the mechanicals, but one non-critical problem, with the ECU giving a warning:

Never resolved, but gone away (click on the picture for details).

I would have no hesitation in having another (but then it's my only option if I'm to continue riding :huh: ).

Interesting. Had a SH_ _ 35 problem myself. In my case, I may have hit the starter button from an angle that caused it.

13,400 rock dependable miles. I am not only NOT worried about the clutch mechanism, I am starting to believe it will actually (in some cases) lower the overall cost of maintenance. Why? It shifts better than riders do and does not allow serious abuse techniques. It also requires downseifting which the brake pads seem to love. Since this is my first FJR I don't have any feel for what the A model brake pad life expectancy is. I'll have to start another thread to get some feedback on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
06 with 8200 miles I have put on it in 4 months (had 4100 on it when I bought it in April). It has a total of 12000 miles and no issues at all with any part of the bike, and certainly not the clutch. Yamaha has done a fantastic job with this chip controlled shifting thing.

Ed :yahoo:

11 months and 19,000 miles on my 06AE. To problems what so ever.
av-4646.gif

You'll note he does all his riding underwater, sometimes deeply-hence the re-breather. Clean, cool-the way it oughta be.

I have ~34,000 miles on my 2006 AE and the only problem I had was a SH__36 error code. The solution was to bleed (change) the ? oil (I will have to look at the receipt when I get a chance).

Best Regards.

Shane

My bike has a clutch?
Yes, it's electronic.

20,000 miles on my 2006 AE. No clutch issues (knock on wood).

I've had my ignition "fail" two different times between 16,000 and 18,000 miles. I've also had the SH__48 code twice. First time dealership said my idle was too fast (no PCIII at the time). Second time dealership said the PCIII caused the code. Yeah... sure thing.. :rolleyes:

17,200 on my '06. Zero problems. Lots of commuting in Houston traffic, multiple tours with two up and full bags.

I just purchased my 07 in June have 3900 miles all commuting in rush hour here in Seattle, no problems yet. On another note when I was in the dealership the other day the owner showed me a book for the 2009 model year Yamahas. The book was written in Japanese, he is an R1 enthusiast and showed me the picture of the 09 R1, the monicker was listed as AT. The side cover from the left side of the bike looked strangely familiar, just like the AE. Auto trans on the R1 and no clutch lever???

I have 11k miles and not one issue with the bike. Getting ready to do about 3k miles over the next 10 days and can't wait.

I didn't think this bike had a clutch?
No clutch lever, but the clutch is identical to the manually operated one.

Simply (?) has a computer and actuators to control the clutch, instead of letting the idiot riding it do it. Suits me fine. :winksmiley:

Yamaha blurb here.

Heading out to run Spank 2 Rally and attend the IBA National Meet in Tulsa next week. My 06 AE will have appx. 37k on it when I return to CA. So far no clutch issues and only one ignition failure at 8K.

11 months and 19,000 miles on my 06AE. To problems what so ever.
av-4646.gif

You'll note he does all his riding underwater, sometimes deeply-hence the re-breather. Clean, cool-the way it oughta be.

I know I have been slacking, but I will try to post the details on replacing the rear wheel with a paddle wheel and a snorkel to get air. I have to tell you since I have been riding at depth no car has turned left in front of me.

I am up to 31K now anf zero issues.

I just ticked over 43k on my AE, and I'm still loving it! :yahoo:

The clutch is absolutely not an issue, and as someone said earlier the brake pads love it.

It drives just fine over the occasional gravel road or loose rocks - dirt it's all in the wrist action.

The only problem I had was when I bumped the idle RPM up over 1000, the thing refused to shift out of neutral.

Whenever I drive someone elses bike I find myself trying to thumb the paddle - "oh yah the things got a clutch lever".

Someday when its time to replace it i'll be looking for another paddle shifter bike.

Brodie