motion pro sync tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Shasta

Reaction score
I finally got some time to get the tank up for the first time and I had big plans....changing the plugs (at 12K miles), replacing the smog crap with the plugged hoses for some space under the tank and finally syncing the throttle bodies.

Got to syncing the throttle bodies. I recently bought a Motion Pro Sync Tool in preparation...brand new, opened it up, followed the directions and this is what I get with the bike running:

P4170052.jpg

The directions say to turn the cal screws all the way in with the bike off (ruining the cal I just did) and then shaking the bubles down....NOT...that made it worse. The picture above is where I gave up, twice as bad as when I started....Anyone with experience know if it will be better in the morning? I'm hoping the bubbles settle out.

Thanks EPA nut jobs for making the mercury ones that work AWESOME not PC anymore. I'm hitting ebay to find an old school one.

DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!, Dennis kirk is getting mine back.

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!, Dennis kirk is getting mine back.
I had one of these once with the Hg fluid. Before you return it, try shaking the fluid down with the cal screws cracked. I "think" they have to be cracked open so the fluid can try to return to the reservoirs. I may be FOS like happens sometimes.

The current instructions I looked up here don't seem to mention the closing of the screws, but maybe I missed it.

I now have a Carbtune II which uses mechanical slugs and it works pretty well. Source

Gary in Fairbanks

The directions say to turn the cal screws all the way in with the bike off (ruining the cal I just did) and then shaking the bubles down....NOT...that made it worse. The picture above is where I gave up, twice as bad as when I started....Anyone with experience know if it will be better in the morning? I'm hoping the bubbles settle out.DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!, Dennis kirk is getting mine back.
Big Shasta,

BTDT, the MP Pro Sync tool is a little finicky initially, but once you get it sorted out it works just fine.

You can use this link (my online storage drive) where you can download the detailed instructions for removing the bubbles. Since all the liquid is still in place you can just go straight to the section describing the steps for removing the bubbles. If you loose a significant amount of liquid you can call/email the support guys at MotionPro and they will send you out a free liquid refill bottle.

Bubble Removal Instructions - 08-0415.I8-0415.pdf

If you really want to send this tool back, I would suggest buying the Morgan Carbtune, it does not use any liquid at all and never needs calibration - works awesome.

Thanks for the help guys, After some reasearch, some beer and some time away from it, I found the instructions for refilling the fluid. I basically took it apart like I was doing that but gently blew all the fluid down into the bottom with the cal screws out. They seem fine now.

What I've learned....Apparently, tilting it horizontal is bad....shaking it is bad (Even though they tell you to shake to attempt bubble removal), and for the love of God, do not invert! But mostly, I learned NEVER buy this if you can help it...the Morgan mentioned above is apparently "the shiz-niz"!

I should be able to sync tomorrow before my long day of riding.

I have the SyncPro and agree that even though it says it's not sensitive to laying down or inverting, it is. Also, I'm not sure it doesn't hate being cold. First time I went to use it this spring it was useless: bubbles, and low fluid. Ordered a refill kit which came in just a couple days and it was back in action.

I've also found that the tubes are not uniform in their response. When you get it calibrated (all tubes off a single vacuum port and set at the same level) then rev to about 3000 (still single port feeding all tubes) they're different. You need to note the difference while calibrating if you use the higher RPM as part of your sync process.

For shaking the bubble out, always use a slinging motion. Don't shake like a paint shaker or mixing a chocolate Yoohoo drink, but sling it outwards and downwards, like when you turn a ketchup bottle upside down.

Yeah, I NEVER got the bubbles out of mine. As far as I'm concerned, it's a total waste of time and money, and a big discredit to MotionPro's reputation for quality.

I eventually bought a real one with mercury in it, and and an assload (14oz) of mercury off of ebay, as well as a Carbtune.