Moto GP this weekend in Indy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
Am thinking about heading over this weekend, but would like to hear from some of you that have been before. I only live 100 miles away, so I don't need a place to stay.

Mainly looking for advice on tickets, where to park, and any other advice. I have never been to a cycle race.

Thanks.

Hi Cav47,

I hope that you have a great time! I can't give any advice on tickets, parking or any other information at all, just know that I envy your opportunity. I am sure that some FORUMITES will be going, purhaps you could meet someone there.

Best regards

Surly

Hey, Cav! I will be working there at the primary sponsor's tent, Westfield Powersports, handing out flyers for our local motorcycle group, IMG, Friday from 10-2. I will also be there Saturday probably from noon until evening then attend the race Sunday.

There are several race-related things going on those 3 days like Sprockets on Speedway, a milling of bikes near the track; Motorcycles on Meridian, similar gathering in the middle of downtown Indy; Yamaha demo rides at the track.

As for parking at the track, depending on which day you go, parking will become more and more crowded as the weekend progresses. They have free parking for bikes inside the venue, north of the track and also around the outside. Tickets are available at www.ims.com.

PM me if you are interested in meeting some local FJR owners at the qualifying day Saturday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cav,

If you have not been before just get a general admission ticket and check out the free mounds to watch the action from. If you park on the Indy backstretch you are next to the infield mounds and some of the best action. I have tickets for stand J all the way at the top so I get an extra wide seat and the fence as a backrest. Injoy the show. It's a great weekend.

Drew

I agree with the Gen admit tickets, lets you wander around to look at different views and your not tied down to one location, The event is what your going to see. The races can be pretty boring when the Honda's just run away from everyone else.

Hi Cav

I get general admission and then ride into the track (gate 10). Park the bike at the oval. You can leave all your motorbike gear on your bike, no need to lock anything (at least in my experience!). I leave, almost like everyone else) my helmet, my jacket, boots etc on the bike. I get changed into runners and shorts and off we go. Bring ear plugs with you! pretty noisy when he bikes are out! Bring water, sun screen, camera

IMAG0270.jpg
IMAG0242.jpg

I am totally in--- just got the wife's approval. I would love to hook up with some forum members there. Will be heading over at least Saturday for qualifying. Maybe Friday too. I plan on parking on the inside near gate 10 as Luis said.

Allen, let me know how to get the FJR hook up. I will be on my gen 1 silver 04 with Illinois tags.

See u all Saturday and maybe Friday!!

I'm going to be working bike recovery on track all weekend. Don't get corner assignment until friday morning.
I haven't checked Yamaha dealers yet, but Falcone the BMW/Triumph/Victory/etc dealer is having a party with free food, a band, and Teach (the BMW stunt rider) Friday starting at 6pm. They're on 16th street just east of the track.

For parking while at the track, I also recommend entering off 30th street and parking on the back stretch. How often do you ever get to do that. There's also ger check available, but I typically just lock mine on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sarg. I am contemplating finishing the ride report I started over on adv rider but am just not sure where to start. Some of the days were just epic for this flatlander. I know I just used the word epic, but I think usage here is appropriate and accurate. The rides with John, Scott, and you were the best of my life at that time, but kinda began dropping down the list because of some of the places I hit. Wind canyon, bighorn national, Yellowstone, Tetons, skyline drive in San Fran, and then the pacific highway all were too much to really comprehend.

I took so many pictures, and they did not even scratch the surface.

Some people that have never been out west have asked me to describe the trip and scenery. I almost don't try because even my really good pictures are lame compared to the real thing

I am a big "smell" guy. Meaning I recall the smells of places even more than the sight. Really not that uncommon because smell triggers more memories than almost anything. (Look it up). The smells of the forest in North Carolina, the canyons around the black hills, the ocean fog and mist from the pacific have stayed with me more than anything so far.

ABCIndy, that is awesome that u get to be that close. U will have to give us a signal to see exactly where u are. I bought the bike at Falcone, so I should hit them up. Does the party continue after the race/qualifying??

Sounds great.

Cav, they only do the party on Friday night at Falcone. I'll be there, probably have on a black BMW hat with my name and last year's BMW miles on the back. (photo below). Stop me and say Hi.

The Indy Mile flat track race at the fairgrounds has been moved back to Friday night, it's usually Saturday night. Motorcycles On Meridian Saturday night downtown is always a mad house, but lots of stuff to see.

Maybe I'll see you someplace.

Andy

IMG_20140806_074219.jpg

I knew there was dirt racing Saturday night. Just found this listing in our Indy BMW Club stuff.

---

Thursday 8/7 R11; In addition to Vintage night Bikes and riders are also gathering at the Brockway Pub in Carmel

Friday, August 8 - The Indy Mile - Gates open at 2:00 p.m. Practice and qualifying will run from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., and there will be a rider autograph session in the cold pit area from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Opening ceremonies will commence at 7:00 p.m. followed by heat races at 7:30 p.m. and the AMA Pro Grand National Expert Twins Main Event at 9:30 p.m. Ticket are on-sale now at www.IndyMile.com or by calling 317-236-6518. Event information and directions to the Indiana State Fairgrounds, as well as a double-disc DVD set of the 2013 Indy Mile, are available at www.IndyMile.com.

Saturday, August 9th - Saturday R11; Racing at Marion County Fairgrounds, Rider Briefing : 4:00 PM, Practice : 4:30 PM, Heats at : 7:00 PM
Mid-America Speedway, Indianapolis Night after the Indy Mile. Featuring the Open Pro Shootout with $1500 to win. Also running the Bultaco Astro Cup, and this is Round 10 of the AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Series. We are also running 80-200cc Youth (2 or 4 strokes), 250 Money and Speedway. Go to the following website for their season schedule: https://www.speedwaybikes.com/tracks/Mid-America.htm

Friday and Saturday night, August 8th and 9th - Motorcycles on the Circle...all done in conjunction with the USGP stuff that will be happening on the Circle in Downtown Indy....Wanna look....go to https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/redbullindianapolisgp/eventinfo/35568-around-the-city/ for the 2013 version....

August 8-10; Indianapolis MotoGP !!!!

Latest posts