Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
Lately, I've been giving serious thought to a 2nd bike centered on what purpose it will serve in my daily life. By and large, I want a bike that will do for me what my old '76 CB750 and (to a certain extent) my '80 Yamaha XS1100 did; quick trips for errands or short commutes, pleasurable little rides in the country... That type of stuff. Yes, the FJR does that without problem, but it's just, well, different. I look at the FJR as more a bike that I get on and ride. A 3 or 5 or even 10 mile trip is a waste of its time. It's difficult to explain, but there it is.

So, getting back to the point: a 2nd bike. I love the classic (almost timeless) look of bikes like the Triumph Bonneville, Ducati GT1000 and (in particular) the 2008 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. Folks, this bike just does it for me. It's bizarre; the last real connection I had with a bike just from looking at a picture was the Yamaha XS1100. This bike speaks to me (with a deep, sexy Italian accent like Sophia Loren's). Weird, I know. But here it is in all wonderfulness. And the only changes I would make if I owned it would be a set of drop handle bars with bar-end mirrors and a bullet fairing. That's it. The bike is damn near perfect IMHO....

MGV7Classic_1r.jpg

MGV7Classic_2r.jpg

MGV7Classic_3r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The short answer is, "it it floats your boat, who cares what the rest of us think." I say run on down and buy it.

I did an interview with one of the US Guzzi God's. He has some things to say about this bike. Have a look.

The short answer is, "it it floats your boat, who cares what the rest of us think." I say run on down and buy it.
Unfortunately, I don't think they've even hit the showroom floors yet..?

I did an interview with one of the US Guzzi God's. He has some things to say about this bike. Have a look.
He wasn't exactly complimentary, but I didn't come away thinking he'd said it's a bad bike per se. It just isn't what the market is asking for. The bigger question is where will it be positioned price-wise..?

Well, if I slows down a bit making racks, I'll need to clean up my old scoot....
guzzi1.jpg

But that new one would look real pretty in Italian red...
She's beaut! I love that little cafe racer thing going on on that bike. Gorgeous!

I love the looks of those type bikes. The flat seat, the spoked wheels, the triple tree hanging out there where everybody can see it, rear coil-overs right there in the airstream.

You could sure do a lot worse in an air-cooled V-twin!

Hmmmm.... (and I don't mean that in a good way) The general consensus on the MG boards is that this bike won't be finding it's way to the US anytime soon owing to the weak US dollar. A Piaggio rep (Moto Guzzi's parent company) told one guy at Daytona Bike Week recently that they feel the market for this bike is in the $7K - $8K range, and with the USD to Euro exchange rate being what it is, there's no way they can bring it in at that price point and meet their margin requirements. Business is business, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a recurrent theme with quite a few new bikes from many (particularly European) manufacturers. :(

I look at the FJR as more a bike that I get on and ride. A 3 or 5 or even 10 mile trip is a waste of its time. It's difficult to explain, but there it is.

SockMonkey, you hit the nail on the head.
Gunny that. Had a KLR 650 for a couple of years for just that purpose and if it had 20 or 30 more horsepower, I probably would still have it. The Triumph Thruxton kind of has that classic cafe look, and I hear its a fun bike. For something that stands out though, its hard to beat a MG.

Bill

If that MG V7 isn't going to hit our shores any time soon, these 2 might be what it's going to come down to (gotta love that GT1000 in the 2-tone silver). I have to admit though, I still like the Moto Guzzi more...:

2008BonnevilleT100.jpg

SCGT1000_08S_CSB_C01S1024x768.jpg

Lately, I've been giving serious thought to a 2nd bike centered on what purpose it will serve in my daily life. By and large, I want a bike that will do...quick trips for errands or short commutes, pleasurable little rides in the country... That type of stuff. Yes, the FJR does that without problem, but it's just, well, different. I look at the FJR as more a bike that I get on and ride. A 3 or 5 or even 10 mile trip is a waste of its time. It's difficult to explain, but there it is.
Folks, this bike just does it for me. The bike is damn near perfect IMHO....
SockMonkey,

I have to heartily agree with you. While I love my FJR, it's a lot more bike than I really need. If the MG V7 Classic

makes it to these shores, I may just have to sell my FJR. I have a 2005 with just over 2000 miles (see what I mean?).

There's no guarantee that I'll absolutely do that because I really like my FJR, but I really like the looks of the

Bonnie, but it's got a...(gulp) chain as a final drive, and I'd like to stick with shafts if I can. (I hate adjusting

chains.) JMHO...

Jim

Well, I'm sad to report that the Moto Guzzi V7 Classic is not bound for these shores until, as Kelly McCarthy - owner of Cascade Moto Classics (a local Guzzi dealer) put it, "Piaggio pulls its head out". According to Kelly, Piaggio (the now parent of Moto Guzzi) put a target MSRP of $10,900 on the bike and then asked dealers what they thought and how many they wanted. The answer from the dealers was apparently "you're out of your minds" and "zero". He told me all of this after he asked how much I would expect to pay for the bike if they had one in stock on the showroom floor. My answer? Between $8K - $9K out the door (comparable to a Bonneville). He said that he told the Piaggio rep that the bike could sell for no more than $7,500 out the door given the low HP (48!) and poor sales performance of its 750cc siblings such as the Breva and Nevada. Well, that settles that...

But it just so happens that Cascade Moto Classics has a drop-dead goregeous '08 Triumph Thruxton 900 in red w/ white stripes sitting on its showrrom floor that my wife (who was with me at the time) went absolutely nuts over. I gotta admit, that is one ultra-sweet bike. I'd never seen one up close, but my-oh-my how nice that bike feels to swing a leg over. And it helps when the Mrs. says I look good on it too... ;)

Well, I'm sad to report that the Moto Guzzi V7 Classic is not bound for these shores until, as Kelly McCarthy - owner of Cascade Moto Classics (a local Guzzi dealer) put it, "Piaggio pulls its head out".
M-G defender here:

It has been, since the sixties (when the first V-7s were imported), that Guzzis were a little out-of-the-mainstream. I don't think they compare, directly, with the show-room competition in either horsepower or price.

Still, they should be imported and purchased by some (I think). A MotoGuzzi can be a very satisfying motorcycle to own and ride, for some.

They (M-G) are a very old company and have a great history and tradition. Their offerings may not be 'cutting-edge' -- but, that doesn't mean they're not good motorcycles that are a pleasure to own and ride.

The new V-7 Classic is the latest iteration of the, late '70s/early '80s, V-50 -- and, at 30 years old, is Guzzi's newest design. The big-twin has been 'massaged' over the years -- but, is basically a 50 year old+ design. Still, either can/will carry you down the road with ease.

My S.O. had an '80s V-65SP (650cc sport-touring Guzzi -- and predecessor to the, new, V-7) and rode it coast-to-coast and border-to-border. It had, like most Guzzis, a real tall top gear -- which doesn't lend itself to magazine performance comparisons; but, will let you ride easy long distances and get great fuel economy.

Bottom line: it's sometimes hard to decipher a good bike by looking a numbers (and words) on a page..... :blink: :unsure:

'SockMonkey': Well, I'm sad to report that the Moto Guzzi V7 Classic is not bound for these shores
That's what MamaYama said about the FJR, too -- 7 years ago..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Classic ! I bet Guzzi will sell more than a few of them. My Dad had a Guzzi for about seven years and it was rock solid with the exception of an electrical problem now and then.

I wonder how long it would take to change the plugs and adjust the valves :)