Moto Slider Install Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallen Jim Rides again

Reaction score
I did a search for a post I read a (long) while back but nothing came up.

I recall that there was a preferred order (left to right or right to left) when installing the motovation sliders but not sure which order. Something about how the engine sets in the frame and how it is properly seated and all that. OR maybe I'm hallucinating. Any thoughts?

Motos are on the way finally and I know better than to let them stay in the shop even one day without putting them on the bike.

Jim,I've got motovation sliders and it's been a year or so since i put them on,but i do not recall any particular order putting them on or an order to torque the bolts.I just took off the fairing on both sides and took out the bolts that the slider brackets hooked up to torqued them to spec which i don't recall but i believe comes with the instructions for install.It'll take longer to take off and put back the fairings,not a hard job at all.Good luck

Looking at the Motovation website, they have a link to a installation page. There they instruct that the left side be installed and torqued first, then the right side. That is, I am sure, correct.

Still wish I could find the thread which discussed the reason for one side first. I like to be certain about working on this thing and like to check on the large body of experience here on the board. Thanks for the reassurance trimmantom. :good:

Something about how the engine sets in the frame and how it is properly seated and all that. OR maybe I'm hallucinating.
Must've been one of them mass hallucinations as I remember it, too. Torquing the left side engine mounting bolts first ensured that the engine alignment remained accurate. One fellow who did it in the opposite order reported increased vibration levels, IIRC.

Yep, Factory shop manual says left side first & it's important. In that post long ago a FJR rider complained about vibes enough that a Yammy rep showed them how to fix it. He made the owner put it back to stock & then torqued the left side first as in the book. No vibes then. Go by the book in most everything except oil drain bolt torque value (and cut that in 1/2) & you'll be better for it. Later,,, De :rolleyes: