Moto Slider Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
....seems pretty straightforward once the tupperware is off huh? But something is up with the 70mm and 80mm bolts for the RH side. The two LH 80mm's went in easy, the RH side bolts start to act as if they are crossthreading about 5-6turns in, so I am not forcing the issue. The bolts look fine, the threads are OK and their are no metal shavings on them or the OEM ones I removed. I tried them in the LH side (where the other two bolts fit fine) and they do the same thing there. I can also put the other 2-80mm bolts in the RH side with no issue. In addition, all four OEM bolts work just fine on the RH side.

So, has anyone else run into this beofre? What are the chances of getting 2 different size bolts that arent threaded right? Maybe I should start buying lotto tickets?!

Just to make sure I installed the RH bolts and torqued them to 40 ft/lbs but it made no difference on the LH side. Guess I will head to Lowe's to see if they have these bolts in stock....bummer, well, at least I can clean the cowlings and detail the bike some more!

....seems pretty straightforward once the tupperware is off huh? But something is up with the 70mm and 80mm bolts for the RH side. The two LH 80mm's went in easy, the RH side bolts start to act as if they are crossthreading about 5-6turns in, so I am not forcing the issue. The bolts look fine, the threads are OK and their are no metal shavings on them or the OEM ones I removed. I tried them in the LH side (where the other two bolts fit fine) and they do the same thing there. I can also put the other 2-80mm bolts in the RH side with no issue. In addition, all four OEM bolts work just fine on the RH side.
So, has anyone else run into this beofre? What are the chances of getting 2 different size bolts that arent threaded right? Maybe I should start buying lotto tickets?!

Just to make sure I installed the RH bolts and torqued them to 40 ft/lbs but it made no difference on the LH side. Guess I will head to Lowe's to see if they have these bolts in stock....bummer, well, at least I can clean the cowlings and detail the bike some more!
Welll i just installed mine yesterday and they went on fine. i would say there is something wrong with the bolts.

go buy new bolts at a hardware store (assuming you dont have a tap and dye set).

Richard

Well, I took the bolts to Lowe's and the nuts threaded on fine, Go figure?. They didnt have any in the size I needed so I tried it again at home...they went in fine, they certainly didnt spin on with my fingers like the other set, but there were no cross threading or metal shavings so I feel pretty good about the threading. They It wasnt like I had to put some muscle into it, they just didnt 'spin' on. Still cant explain it but I backed them in and out 3 times before torqueing them down with some blue loctite. No metal and they looked good each time I removed them