Motolights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon1300

Reaction score
Came back from the EOM in Tenn. and while I was there talked to Tina Hoellander of Motolight and got to see several bikes with the lights installed. The lights are very well made and made in the USA. I needed some low, wide surround lighting for night driving. (have not decided which driving lights to add yet). The complete install took about 3 hours with the fuse & relay mounted in the upper rt. hand corner of the fairing (just to the rt. of the digital display). Some sections of the harness are longer than necessary for the FJR but nothing that can't be dealt with easily. I mounted the switch to the side of the frt. brake resevoir as was suggested, all in all it was an easy job. The price for the units was $300.00 complete (an EOM quoted price) and they even paid for shipping. Below are a few pic's I just took about an hour ago.

Motolights01.jpg

Head on shot

Motolights02.jpg

Head on Shot

Motolightson01.jpg

Head on with lights on

MotolightsSwitch01.jpg

Switch mount, the coil cord is for the radar detector, not the lights

MotolightsLeftSide.jpg

Left side light

MotolightsRightSide.jpg

Right side light

Will keep you informed as to how well they work as I will be riding to work in the morning and it is dark when I leave.

Chris

Sweet setup and nice match. With 'em mounted on the forks, the light goes where you point the bike too. Any concern on how the bulbs will take the shock of being mounted on the forks?

The problem that I have with motolights is that the extra "fill in" light that they provide is around 10ft in front of the bike. If you need illumination that close to the front end, you're looking in the wrong direction.

That said, I do think that they do add value in making a bike more noticible, which is certainly a "good thing"[tm].

Apparently Motolight is not to concerned about fork vibration and bulb life as they warrant bulbs also ;) Used the lights this morning going to work and did notice that the brightest spot is directly in front of the bike and fills in the dark area that the headlight shines over, also noticed that stop signs and road signs are definitly easier to see as the lights have no specific pattern, that is, fluting on the lenses which direct the light in a particular pattern.

I soon as I get a chance to adjust the lights at night it will give me a better idea as to the correct angle to lock them down at, so far I'm happy with them :p

Chris

I have been using the exact same Moto's for about two months now and really luv em. I did spring for the amber lenses, though to really get other's attention. The amber lenses are not lifetime warranty for some reason, but I can "live" with that so long as oncoming traffic sees me, another one who has had a close relative die in a "didn't see him" motorcycle accident.

Paul

'05 FJR

Duluth, MN

Paul, Your right about the cagers being able to see you, my friend at work rides a Kawi cruiser and said "Boy, those lights are bright, I could see you a long way off". I have noticed that since I installed them no one has pulled out in front of me as is the usual order of the day :eek: Day or night, they are an attention getter, that alone is worth the money I paid for them! :clap:

Chris