Motor Cop Down, Backs-up Traffic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I've been lurking for awhile thought I'd reply to this post.

I'm a motorcycle cop here in Southern Cali. I work from N. hollyweird to Woodland hills.

Unfortunately, it seems like it has been hit a motorcycle cop month here in Southern Cali. I attended a CHP motors funeral a couple weeks ago and have a memorial band across my badge now for the other motor that died last week. I'm sure I'll attend his funeral too. (I've been out of town since Thursday, don't know if I missed it) I was working when the LAPD motor went down, and responded to the scene. In a weird twist. The LAPD motor that went down is the son in law of one of one my daughters Kindergarten teachers. We live fifty miles from LA, but we both live in the same area. From what I've heard so far, better gear would not have made any differance in the deaths of the first two or the serious injuries of the LAPD officer.

That being said. The Old horse riding gear that we wear is a issue I'm constantly struggling with. I can honestly say that other then riding my FJR home from the dealer with just a jacket, gloves and helmet. I have never ridden it without full gear. Jacket,pants,boots, gloves, full face helmet. The whole kit. ATGATT, 26K and counting. For my commute to work, I always wear a jacket, and I wear long sleeves shirt. It makes me feel better, but I know they don't really provide much protection.

The problem on my department is, you have a mixture of two types, Those that would like to see us in better gear, and those old school guys that think what we have is good enough. Some of these old school types aren't Hardly riding guys either, they ride BMW's and such off duty. The second problem is our guys really don't crash that often. I'm glad thats the case and feel that our training and somtimes maybe even a bit of luck is the reason for that, but still believe we should dress for the fall. All that being said. I love riding the bike. There is no other job I would rather do. I look forward to going to work every day and hate it when it rains. I put on alittle over 3000 miles a month on my work bike.

Hey and if you see a Motorcycle cop, wave, I always wave back;)

I've seen guys on the 14Fwy and the I5 fwy on 05 FJRs. whenever I wave and give a thumbs up, they look at me like I'm crazy. ;)

MMarsh

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Officer Marsh, thank you for posting up. And thank you for all that you do, too. Sorry for the loss of some of your fellow officers.

About your comments; the only thing I can understand about the typical gear, or lack thereof, that I see on the roads with the MCO's is the 3/4 helmet - mustn't frighten the public, ya know! Outside of that, I'd be wearin' my gear for sure. (Did you see that Icon is making separate armor that straps to your legs and arms without having to be contained in specific clothing?)

By the way, lots of us SoCal riders around. Ping us if you wanna ride or join us here:Gathering of the Clans

By the way, on my way back from Willow Springs yesterday it was late and I was going kinda fast and well, this nice officer was obliged to pull me over and extend some additional road use tax... So, can ya offer a FJR brudda a little help? :D

(J/K it was too wet and windy to go fast!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey and if you see a Motorcycle cop, wave, I always wave back;)I've seen  guys on the 14Fwy and the I5 fwy on 05 FJRs. whenever I wave and give a thumbs up, they look at me like I'm crazy. ;)
that's funny, not waving back... must not be fjrforum members... lol...

great first post, too!!!!

i wave to motor officers for the same reason i wave to civilians: i see them, i respect them for being out on 2 wheels, and if they need me, i'm there for them...

or, put another way: cops are people, too... :clap: :clap: :clap:

dana

I ALWAYS wave to motosickle officers. But I have noticed the caged officers aren't nearly as friendly.. they hardly ever wave back.

I ALWAYS wave to motosickle officers. But I have noticed the caged officers aren't nearly as friendly.. they hardly ever wave back.
Depends on if you use all your fingers... :) . I always wave if somebody takes the time to wave to me.

Rick

I always use all my fingers when I wave. (at least when I'm on the two-tone mount with the funny blue and red lights) I plead the fifth if I'm riding the FJR. ;)

That looks like a good run on in November. If I can make it, I'd love to go.

MMarsh