Motorcycle intercom systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
I had no need for one in the past but now I have lady who is learning to ride pillion with me. Now I am learning about the intercom systems out there. My research reveals Cardo and Sena to be the best ones out there.

Sena 20s has good reviews and I can get a good deal from our forumites. The Cardo 9gX is also a good system. Sena has more features but is not waterproof while the 9g is. I like to make long trips and I do not stop for rain, lol.

What is the general options on these units? For the Sena 20s users how do you address the water "resistant" issue? I would think motorcycle specific electronic equipment would be waterproof. My research on the internet is not yielding much information on this.

I'm not sure my Cardo G9 was any more waterproof than my Sena 20 is.

I had som water issues with my first Sena 20, they replaced it, I have not used the replacement during a deluge.

I think a Large or Magnum unlubruicated Condom would solve 99% of the water issues while allowing the buttons to be manipulated as required.

Don't know about the rest of the 20S but microphone input and speaker outputs have o-rings. Unused sockets are covered with rubber flap/seals.

Sena's are great but you really need this.

I would appreciate it too, CB is great for those long trips.

I'll fix the link when I get to a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are just looking for an intercom system which can pair with a GPS or phone, the Scala is a good system. We have had two models of the Scalas, they are absolutely waterproof and we get great battery life. We normally leave our headsets on intercom not VOX and don't run out of battery on 15 hr days, VOX would extend battery life significantly more. As long as the mic is correctly placed there is very little wind noise and the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) keeps the volume in the headset regulated quite well. Placement of the headset will have a significant impact on volume. The headset speakers have fit quite well in our Arai and Shoei helmets. The units can be connected to an external audio source for music or Bluetooth connected to something like a GPS or phone. The Bluetooth music is not great pretty poor. If you want good music the Senas are a much better choice.

We rode for years without communications but once we got hooked up we are hooked. Just because you have communicators doesn't mean you are challenged to talk 100% of the time ;) I say this for the benefit of the people that say that silence is golden and they have no desire to talk on a bike. It's also nice that when needed I can help the passenger by screaming WE ARE GOING TO DIE RIGHT NOW when the going gets tough, it gets their attention focused on what's going on around us :lol:

My Sena 20s malfunctioned last year in an all day soaker, it was very disappointing. After drying out for the night it worked again. Next time I'll try a bag or something over it.

My experience with Cardo was not very good at all & customer service is poor. I had a set of G9's & then a set of G9x's they performed well as a pair flaky when with another pair and would not work with a 5th one at all. they were sent back a total of 5 times before I became very frustrated and got rid of them. I went with a set of Sena 20s and what a great intercom system. I had one unit that would only work for 4 hrs & I contacted Sena they replaced the whole unit no headache what so ever & they work.

Sena is a way more reputable company in my book and sound quality seems to be better also.

Cardo's new Packtalk may be a better unit but the customer service is poor enough for me to stay away from Cardo.

I'm in the Sena camp as well. Wife and I have had the SMH-10 units for over 3 years now and they've been rained on more than I'd like to remember. EOM 2015 was a good example. Battery life with intercom left open the entire time has generally run 13-15 hours of constant on. I love the fact they can be used while charging and I've set both of our bikes up with easily accessed power points. Bluetooth music with my IPod touch works very well and I like the fact the units are firmware upgradeable. We had one issue early on with her unit acting weird. Volume would go up and down intermittently, loud cracking sounds that were almost deafening for no reason. One call to Sena and they had a new on on it's way before I even packed the old one to send in. Great customer service in my book.We've become friends with several LD rally riders including a few IBR finishers and among that group Sena seems to have a large lead over any other com system.

Sena SMH-10. Love them. Long battery life, loud, weatherproof, updatable firmware.

Had them for years and they just plain work!