Motorcycle Only Traffic Lane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric in Sac

Reaction score
In California Caltrans is looking for ways to increase highway capacity in congested areas. One idea floating around is to re-stripe congested areas to 11' lane widths rather than the usual 12'. This combined with the utilization of available shoulders an extra lane could be squeezed in. This would be expensive because the shoulders are not designed for heavy traffic. Furthermore, it would require redesign because the off-ramps and on-ramps would no longer be in alignment. Frankly, I don't like it and it would negatively impact motorcycles.

I am thinking about preparing an alternative suggestion. In congested areas where there is sufficient inside shoulder width (left of the No. 1 lane), such as the highway 80 corridor and highway 50 corridor in the Sacramento area, why not stripe a 6' motorcycle only lane? All it would take is some paint! In my view, it will make highways safer for motorcyclists, cagers will get tired of watching us roll by unimpeded by traffic, and join the club! The end result would be increased capacity as more people leave the 20 mpg cages at home and switch to 50 mpg two-wheelers.

What do you all think? Good idea or bad? Pros and cons?

If it seems like a good idea, how do we get AMA involved to help support this scheme of mine?

If the majority of riders like it I will prepare a proposal through Caltrans HQ

For those outside California, remember if it works here it will be passed on as a traffic alternative to other states. :huh:

I wrote up the proposal and sent it via e-mail to the AMA. I will work with them if they are willing to follow-up. They can take a political approach to the Governor's office while I see what I can do internally through Caltrans. Only one way to find out . . . :)

People will jump into the moto lane just like they do the HOV lanes now. Clearly marked (no barriers, just double white lines and lots of signs). Yet, there's always someone who thinks that jumping into the HOV lane (single occupant in the vehicle doing the jumping) right in front of another vehicle going 50 is something they can get away with.

And the people in the HOV going 50 in a 70 zone do so BECAUSE they know that there are some people who should be shot on sight for jumping into the HOV lane in front of other traffic.

Bounce: That is why the moto only lane should only be 6' wide . In theory, there won't be room for cars to "jump" in in front of the motorcycles. Do you think a moto lane would enhance safety or reduce it? I would appreciate your thoughts and any other ideas you may have to improve upon the concept. I want to make sure I thoroughly think this idea through so any suggestions would be much appreciated. If it is a bad idea, I need to know that too. :)

You'd get some harley in it doing 40 in a 70, though.

Yea, yea, I know, a stupid stereotype, but still... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine the first thing CalTrans would ask would be, "What percentage of overall traffic do motorcycles comprise on a regular basis?" It it's not a significant percentage, there's no economic incentive for them to create the lane.

I'd imagine the first thing CalTrans would ask would be, "What percentage of overall traffic do motorcycles comprise on a regular basis?" It it's not a significant percentage, there's no economic incentive for them to create the lane.
I like this idea. I take a "build it and they will come" attitude.

We had a similiar issue with "bicycles" here in Cali. Until they built actual bicycle lanes it was too dangerous to ride your bike to work because of the traffic. Once they made it safer for bike riders they started coming out of the wood works.

Timing is everything. With our excessive gas prices and plenty of long-distance commuters, now is a great time for ideas like this to come forward. We need some innovative (some would say crazy) ideas to figure out how to reduce our dependence on foreign oils, cut emissions, reduce traffic - and all for significantly less cost than adding more car lanes. I would doubt that there is much economic incentive for adding additional car lanes on a freeway either. The ROI is less traffic congestion and it's usually very short-lived. We spent millions (billions?) on a lane expansion on the 805N here in San Diego and it didn't seem to do anything. We're making lane expansions on our 15N freeway too. I can't wait to see how little that's going to change anything (and for how long).

Freeway over-crowding is similar to a person with a weight problem. If all you do is buy a bigger pair of pants and never address the eating disorder then the problem never goes away - soon you'll just need an even bigger pair of pants. We keep adding lanes to the freeway but never address the addition of cars to the road. We've got freeways with 6-lanes going in each direction that are still overcrowded. Either we need better mass-transit or fewer cars. Since few in Cali seem to believe in mass-transit and like the convenience of piloting their own vehicles, getting people on motorcycles can probably help.

If you can get any kind of traction on this idea maybe some of the motorcycle manufacturers would be interested in jumping on the bandwagon since it would most certainly be a huge boost to their bottom lines.

Just because you don't currently see a lot of motorcyclists riding on Cali freeways doesn't mean the demand isn't there. The masses just deem the practice too hazardous in the current driving environment. Those that live/visit here have seen how crazy it is on these freeways so the last thing you'd want to do is ride a 600 lb motorcycle between 6000 lb lane-swerving SUV's doing their make-up, talking on cell phones, eating, watching TV, playing with their GPS... whatever. Having a lane external to this turmoil sounds great - even if you are stuck behind a Harley doing 40mph ;)

Bottomline is that you never know whether this idea will fly unless you ask and I'm glad that people are starting to ask these kinds of questions...

We had a similiar issue with "bicycles" here in Cali. Until they built actual bicycle lanes it was too dangerous to ride your bike to work because of the traffic. Once they made it safer for bike riders they started coming out of the wood works.
Yeah, and now they ride in huge packs consuming not only the 'bike lane', but the motor vehicle lane, too! Nor do most cyclists obey traffic signs. Wish a had a Tazer! :angry:

Bounce: That is why the moto only lane should only be 6' wide . In theory, there won't be room for cars to "jump" in in front of the motorcycles. Do you think a moto lane would enhance safety or reduce it? I would appreciate your thoughts and any other ideas you may have to improve upon the concept. I want to make sure I thoroughly think this idea through so any suggestions would be much appreciated. If it is a bad idea, I need to know that too. :)
Others have made some good observations. A generic HOV lane would be more likely to happen than a bike only one with current moto usage in the US. I don't think bike lanes are a bad idea, I just think they are a very hard sell to the taxpayers who don't ride. Within a month, there would be people trying to jump into the 6' lane with their Hummers. :( Drivers do stupid crap that rational, thinking people wouldn't begin to try.

HOVs are a compromise in that bikes can use them even with only 1 person on the bike. Hard baracades around a 6' bike lane would help block lane jumpers but make for little room for emergency avoidance swerving if it was needed to avoid obstacles.

I can see it now, baracades to the left and right and someone in a full-sized sedan wedged into the opening of the lane where they thought they'd fit.

Thanks for the comments guys. My concept is to use available shoulder space where HOV lanes do not exist. There are many locations with 8' shoulder in congested areas that go unused.

I e-mailed AMA and haven't heard a peep. :huh:

I like the idea and would certainly support it if it got to the point of AMA agreeing to support it and CalTrans to consider it but it's not likely to happen, IMHO. I read recently that over 80% of California motorists oppose carpool lanes and given the unpopularity of motorcyclists with the cage driving public, there would be even less support for any additional special consideration for motorcyclists, even if the concept would not affect cage drivers at all.

If it ever got to the serious discussion phase, the best way to sell it would be to promote the idea that by giving motorcyclists a special lane, it would eliminate the need for a lot of the lane splitting that now goes on, which irritates the heck out of cage drivers anyway.

I've commuted 75 miles a day round trip to my office in Sacramento down Hiway 50 for many years, most of the time in the carpool lane. It's pretty scarey going 70 mph in the carpool lane right next to cars in the next lane over that are barely moving. Can't tell you how many times I've encountered some fool who gets tired of being stuck in stop and go traffic who suddenly decides to pull out in the carpool lane right in front of me. I've become very adept at hitting the bike horn and waving a middle finger at the cage driver. The idea of a special lane for motorcycles only is appealing, but I think it will be an impossible sell.

Let us know what AMA says, if anything.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Maybe in SE Asia but not enough motorcycle density in the states to make it workable. I would love one though! :D

I would have some concerns regarding a motorcycle only road lane. As, for the most part, it would be a low volume lane in many locales, I'm afraid that all the road debris would migrate to the less used lane; kind of what you see on the shoulders now. Just my two cents.

The original idea of reducing lane width so they could squeeze in an additional lane sounds pretty dangerous. Some people can't stay within the lines as it is. It would probably come with a reduction in speed limit and enforcement of the limit for a while.

Motorcycle only lane would be OK in some areas where there is enough traffic to justify them. Once the cagers see the bikers making better time than they are there will be an increase in bike sales. Don't forget thet people who ride jsut for commuting purposes are going to ride a lot different from those of us who love to ride and that :asshat: who currently annoys you with his driving style will still be an :asshat: on a bike.

It should be on the left shoulder, not the right where the cagers would be constantly cutting across it to get to and from ramps.

We spend millions of dollars for light rail to shuttle a few thousand people to work and back. My proposal would hopefully encourage half that number to ride motorcycles or scooters for the price of paint and a few signs. Only one way to find out.

I sent a couple of e-mails to the AMA. I still haven't received a response. Maybe I should try again. :)

Lee, that's why I run with my driving lights on (in the daylight commute). It seems to have influenced a few on the Hwy 99 HOV lane. Sometimes they don't care and don't look....but its really funny if they glance in their mirror "mid-land change" and jerk back. I believe they don't know what it is and the profile is close enough to a BMW that it confuses them, besides, I can always use a good chuckle on my way to work. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Rick. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Last edited by a moderator: