Motorcycle Only Traffic Lane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MadMike2--Good idea on the driving lights. For the past 20 years, during daylight riding hours, I've always made it a practice to run with my bike lights on high beam for increased visibility. The FJR's headlights are VERY bright on high beam and are very visible to cars as I approach them. I also make it a practice to always ride down the center to right side of center of the lane I'm in, so as to be closer to cars as I approach them--I want to be certain that cars see me in their side mirrors. Riding that way with high beams on, I rarely have a car suddenly turn into my lane. Seems to happen more often in the HOV lanes when it does happen.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

In Ocean City Maryland the entire strip has a BUS only lane. You can only get in that lane even as a motorcycle to turn. Cops seem to do a good enough job that cars actually do stay out of it.

In the HOV lanes I hate the fact that a kid counts as the second occupant.

To me the point of HOV is to cut down on traffic. If a person isn't even old enough to have a license much less a car how are they cutting down on traffic. Of course the question of how can you tell even if an older person has a car.

Not to mention the hours of HOV are too short. Here they are from 3:30 to 6:30. At about 6:20 or so cars start jumping in. I think the hours should either be longer or 24 hours from Mon-Fri.

Also sucks that in some places Hybrids are allowed single occupants but 50mpg diesel's aren't :angry03:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee, I went through the same scenario. I put driving lights on the Connie and for some reason (I think it changes the perceived light "profile") they notice the bike in their mirrors. I use the brackets from Cycle Gadgets, and there are others that are available on this website, that put the driving lights just outboard of the headlights. The bottom line for me is that I'm seen , and if that influences 50% of the cagers, that's a plus for me.

For those outside California, remember if it works here it will be passed on as a traffic alternative to other states.  :huh:
Two words: Lane splitting . Works in CA, works in the rest of the world, still not legal in any other US state.

They could do what you want simply by posting signs: "MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED ON LEFT SHOULDER". I suspect the average merkin isn't yet inconvenienced enough by traffic jams and high gas prices to look at smaller alternatives, and when they do, it'll be a hybrid or small car which still doesn't get the MPG a smaller bike might, nor does it do much for the congestion issue.

Which is a shame, because one car lane plus a bit of shoulder could get you three motorcycle/scooter lanes- You could probably double traffic density on some roads.

I have been talking with AMA and they seem interested. If cages stuck in traffic watch motorcycles riding by unimpeded with their own lane to enhance safety more people might consider commuting on two wheels.

Now I am searching for an ideal stretch of congested urban highway in California, with 8 foot inside shoulders for the proposal. Highway 50 between Bradshaw and Hazel Ave. is a possibility. Any more ideas from you California riders? :)

I love the idea. In AZ a few years ago, the state wanted to encourage people to buy natural gas vehicles, so they instituted an incentive in the form of a HUGE tax break to people who bought them. It turned out badly for the state because so many people did it, but what if they did something like that for motorcyclists? At least waive the registration fee or something to encourage more purchases. And with the better gas mileage and motorcycle-only lanes, people might be more willing to commute on the bike they already own.

Heard on the Sacramento news tonite that a motorcyclist was killed this morning near downtown Sacramento while lane splitting. He apparently clipped a car, then lost control and rear-ended a truck, was tossed off the bike and then run over by a large dump truck. From the television video, it appeared to be a full dresser Harley.

This marks the 4th death of a motorcyclist in the greater Sacramento area while lane splitting over the past 3 months. Not good in view of the pending review of lane splitting being undertaken by the CHP. CHP has traditionally been neutral with respect to legislation proposing to make lane splitting illegal, but that may change.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I personally have never been a fan of lane spliting. Drivers rarely stay in their lane as it is and I have too often seen target fixation cause cages to swerve to my direction when they look at me in their mirrors.

I don't see how more don't get hurt when trying to go between two cars and hoping they don't come too close with nowhere for you to go...

I wish the motorcyclists family the best during this terrible time.