Motorcycles and ferry travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you folks use ferries on a fairly regular basis and how you deal with securing the bike during these trips. Quite often I have to take shorter ferry rides where I remain with the bike so dumping it is not an issue but what do you do if the ferry ride is a couple of hours? I took a boat a couple of weeks ago and the mate pointed at some 1 1/2 hemp rope and told me I could tie the bike off to the fire suppression piping....yeah right. Luckily it wasn't rough enough to cause the bike go down. Is it best on the centerstand or on the sidestand? Should I carry ratcheting tie-downs? I will be taking a trip to Nova Scotia soon and will be taking a high speed ferry out of Maine but as I recall the crew tie the bike's down but I want to be prepared just in case...

Axeman,

I don't know if this can be of any use to you, as it refers to Europe.

My last ferry trip was a 5-hour crossing from mainland Italy to Corsica. A crewmember asked me to put the bike on the centerstand next to a bulkhead and then proceeded to tie it down on both sides. I remember he put a (grimy) fabric cushion on the seat where one of the straps straddled it.

If they let you do the tying down, I'd choose the centerstand vs. the sidestand. Bringing your own tie-downs will take up some of your storage space, so I'd let them use their own rigging but maybe have some rags handy if their straps are rough.

Stef

Axeman,

I've had quite a bit of travel on ferries in Europe (living in London you get used to it), everything from a couple hours to a 36-hour overnighter to Spain. Sounds like you'll be in open water, so it'll definitely need to be tied down.

First thought: If the crew ties it down, let them. If you do it, I don't think they would be liable for any damage should that occur. Whether or not you would be liable if they tie it down is another question. You should find this out.

I've done both center stand and side stand. Mostly was due to whatever the crew told me to do. However, I have some opinions on this.

Center stand: Generally not good. Only if you secure it from both sides pulling both forward and back would it make sense (so four places on the ground). This way it:

a ) doesn't roll forward...depending on the bike, you may or may not have a lot of contact of either the rear or front to stop it.

b ) doesn't twist/rotate on the center stand. If your bike is pretty centered on it (the FJR isn't), that could be an issue.

Here is an example of how not to do it (this is my ride going to Ireland....it made it, but I didn't like it...they told me to do it this way....)

f4a84deb.jpg

I can't believe I don't have any other pictures of the ferry fun.

Side stand: the way to do it. because:

a ) You can leave it in gear, so that secures the back.

b ) you can velcro or otherwise tie up the front brake to secure the front.

c ) You can effectively tie it up on one side if that is all they are offering you. And with one rope. So basically get it pulled over to the stand side.

I've only secured it like that coming from over the right side, across the seat (usually with gloves or something to prevent it from digging all the way in the seat).

Other thoughts:

- There may be some spare rope around after the crew sort it out. Feel free to use that too....

- it may be hard to avoid pulling on the fairing...it'll make it. i've done it a few times.

- you can also secure it to something in front. I've had to roll up to a floor barrier and then basically use two ropes to 'pull' the bike forward (from sitting on the bike, two ropes, one goes NW the other NE and get secured down).

- Secure it as high as you can on the bike. e.g. the grab rail from the givi mount is better than down by the passenger foot rest.

- You will probably find wet surfaces on the ferry. They are REALLY REALLY slippery. Metal and the slick paint. Very very dangerous...be careful on those.

- when roping down, you'll compress the springs a bit. i'm not sure how much of that is good or bad. seems to have been OK for me to do it somewhat....

- Make sure you can undo the knots you put in. Go find your boy scout book if you forgot.... :p

- you'll probably board first or last. if the latter, bring a book. :D

hope this was useful.... lemme know if you have any other questions about my misadventures on this.... (nothing fell, but the FJR broke as I got off the ferry in Spain and I got fuct so had to go right back on the damn boat for another 36 hours.....)

Have a good trip dude, I am jealous..... !

-colin

Last edited by a moderator:
We here in Scandinavia do this all the time (trips takes 12 - 36 hours) and despite Teerexs advice, always on sidestand. Ferry companies normally have their own "straps", but of course using your own is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been riding the wash. ferrys for 30 years and very seldom does anything bad happen but depending on weather and the skill of the captain the s..t can hit the fan. i leave mine in gear and on the side stand as that gives you a 3 point support farther apart than a 2 point close together as on the center stand. i also grab one of their wheel chocks and stuff it under the right side frame to keep it from rocking. if it is real bad then you suit up and babysit your bike. i have had times when it is rough that a wave will come over the bow and really soak things and it is a real pain in the ass to get all the salt off. once in awhile they will load the bikes farther back but law says bikes go first on so you end up right in front. in the end it is up to you to secure the bike.

I actually enjoy ferry rides and seek them out when on tour. I've ridden all kinds: from 1 ~ 2 vehicle little flat-beds to big ocean going types (like you'll be on). Side stand, in first gear, h/bars turned and locked in the direction of the stand, use their ropes and tie it down, chocks too on the opposite side and front of front tire and rear of rear tire -- iow, all you can do. On one ocean going trip I was accompanied by a world-touring BMW rider (Valter, or Vernor, or ?) and he opposed the crew's reccos and put his heavily loaded bike on the centerstand -- I came down a couple hours later to find his bike fallen over and leaning on mine.

Also, ime, there's always room on a ferry for bikes. All the hoopla about reservations, etc. seems to have been tempests-in-teapots -- they always find room (and willingly take your money, too).

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Tdub uses fairies all the time. How this would apply in a motorcycle for......oh, never mind. :D

Been on WA state ferrys lots. Sidestand, no straps or tie-ons (er, tie-downs). Never even seen a motorcycle tied down on a ferry.

Never had (or seen/known of) a problem.

Axe,

I was on that ferry last summer (Cat from Baah Haabah to Yarmouth). I was in a car but took great interest in how they took care of bikes. There were about 20 bikes this particular day. They lined up the bike cross wise to boat travel direction (I'm sure ther's a proper nautical term for this orientation- like abaftbeam or something). Most bikes were on side stands(many Gold Wings of course) and tied down with heavy nylon straps to anchor points in the floor. I'm sure they do it every day- looked pretty well rehearsed. You shouldn't have any trouble.

I hope the seas are calm on your voyage. We had a heavy rolling sea and consequently many passengers had a lot of stomach 'splashover'. Nova Scotia is a beautiful place- Roads are great for two wheeled touring. Have a good time.

Russ

Be prepared for being given no choice on where and how your bike will be secured. Most common is to put you on first, hauled over to one side or the other at the front of the ferry. You'll be given a rope and instructions to tie it off yourself to the wall with the bike on the side stand.

If it's raining out, or you've been in rough seas, be very wary of the ramp leading off the ferry. It's very likely to be extremely smooth, extremely slippery steal. I fishtailed a Goldwing for a long way up one of those, once.

Have fun!

I'm glad I read this. It just goes to show how different things can be, depending on where you are. Moral of the story is check with the company that runs the ferry before you ride, then you will know what to bring/expect.

I took the FJR on a ferry across Lake Michigan, from Milwaukee over to Muskegon. It was the freakin' ritz! They had a special area reserved for bikes only, with extra moorings in the floor of this area. They supplied four ratchet type tie downs per bike, and allowed you to secure your bike as you saw fit - this allowed you to choose which points on the bike would be anchored. They had a guy down there giving basic instructions, and the bikers helped any brothers who were less experienced to get their rides tied up right. I was impressed.

Accourse, no surprise that the bikes are given pride of place here in WI, home of the Harley. Them hog riders would shit a tin bird if their pretty chrome got scratched (or worse). And the ferry operators had it good too - the bike area was packed full.

Have sailed my bikes on BC Ferries (big and small) many times. Only once did they make me park it in the car lanes, stayed with the bike the whole 1 1/2 hours despite calm water just in case. Every other time they put motorcycles along the outer edge (ahead or behind cars depending on whether you arrived before they started loading or not) so riders can put the tire right up against the bumper pipe they have running along the outer edge of the decks. They also recommend use of the side stand and leaving the bike in gear. There are large wheel chaulks available (presumably the ones they use for the big rigs on the truck deck?) to chaulk the opposite side, and smaller ones to put behind the inboard wheel. On rough days you can get ropes or straps to tie the bike down but most just secure the wheel to the bumper pipe - with the side stand and opposite side chaulked the bike isn't going anywhere unless it's the one or two days a year when the water is really rough, in which case the ferry probably won't sail anyway. In any event, most riders stay with their bikes until the ferry is underway, and return before it starts the docking procedure, just in case - no sense tempting fate :clapping: .

We took the ferry from Argentia, Newfoundland to Nova Scotia years ago and it was quit rough...to the point that cars were actually moving around and some of the rail road cars on the lowest level jumped their tracks. That is a 24 hour trip.

We knew of the storm ahead of time so the three of us had all put our bikes on the centerstands and tied the centerstands off to the fork tubes so that the centerstand could not fold up if the bike tried to roll off the centerstand. We then tied off to floor anchors in all four directions so nothing could move. We had no problem at all despite all the damage to other vehicles on the boat from that trip.

Did I mention that it was rough??

The worst problem I had on the ferry was on the trip from Nova Scotia to the western end of Newfoundland. It was glass smooth the whole 8 hours and I was seasick as a dog. Just the gentle rolling really got to me. I could barely ride down the ramp onto the dock when we got there. That ramp was very slippery as I recall. Funny thing was that on the trip back where it was so rough it pitched me out of the bunk several times while I was sleeping I wasn't seasick at all.

We took the overnight ferry from Portland to Yarmouth 2 years ago. They loaded the MC's first, all the way forward, on the port (left) side. Then a crew of illegal immigrants runs around with straps and a big honking piece of triangular rubber. They jam the rubber just aft of the kick stand (so it won't flip up...), then two 'come along' straps, one on each side, force the bike to a non-movable position. I tried to move the bike when they were done but couldn't, so I was satisfied with the stability.

When the boat docked, we were first off. I think they don't want a bunch of irritated motorcyclists following Ma & Pa & kiddies in their family fun mobile...

Got a good night's sleep, pulled into Yarmouth at 7:00 AM, just in time for breakfast.

Only word of warning: when getting on or off the boat, you'll be on metal grating, just like the center of small bridges. In Falmouth it's always damp, so make sure you use minimum throttle when on the metal gratings...