Motovation slider install on 05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
O.K. I've looked for this in the forum with no luck.

About a month ago I installed my new (no cut) frame sliders from Motovation on the 05 FJR. I installed the right side first, then went to the left side only to realize that I had the spacer in the wrong place on the right side. So after the left side install I removed the right side to realign the spacer. Long story short... I got caught up in the moment and in a hurry. I did not follow the install sequence of right side then left side. I used loctite and torqued down to 38 ft pounds. My question(s):

Does the sequence really matter?

What happens to the bike if you are out of sequence (more vibration, less control in curves, etc.)?

What is the official torque for the 05 when using loctite?

Would you recommend that I re-install the slider to be sure they are correct?

I haven't noticed a difference in handling but have only been to work and back on mostly straight roads with little opportunity to test the handling of the bike. I'm loosing my confidence in the handling of the bike b/c of worrying about this install being incorrect. Can anyone put me at peace about this? Thanks!!

If you feel anything, it will likely be vibration.

The reason the instructions are to tighten the left side first is that the left side of the frame is the "locator" for having the engine and drive train aligned.

Loctite? I hope it was blue, not red..... :dribble: Those bolts are being tightened into the engine casing.

Don't sweat it; as long as they're both tight, you're good. And I torque to the recommended value with or without Loctite. Oh, and if you did use red Loctite, you'll need some heat to get it off. But since your bike will never have any problems and you'll get 200,000 miles before you have to overhaul the engine, that won't be a problem.

The engine mount bolt on the right side goes through a spacer that is held in place by a pinch bolt. If you don't loosen that pinch bolt the spacer should not move so you're probably OK. If you notice some vibration that wasn't there before, just loosen the engine mount bolts a turn then retorque them, left side first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts