Mount GIVI Monokey case with a plate only??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJROHIO

Reaction score
Hello all-

I have a v46 case, but no means of mounting it yet. I would like to retain the stock luggage rack if possible. Anyone have an experience in mounting a Monokey case with just a plate adapter? which one works best since there is not one made specifically for the FJR. Thanks.

I actually just did this on my '04. I bought the E250 Universal Adaptor plate from AZ Motorsports (now known as RideNow) and attached it to the existing luggage rack with the hardware supplied with the adaptor plate. The only extra thing I did was to dip the ends of the clamps in that rubbery tool-handle goop to increase the grip. There seems to be some room for adjustment of the plate front to back, too, which I may need to play with yet.

A word of caution. The OEM rack is made of plastic/nylon and thus not very strong. Don't load the topcase very heavy is you have it mounted this way, and check it often for stress cracks at the mounting points. It's your call!

Last edited by a moderator:
No $h!t ??

I just assumed it was aluminum...

Maybe this is a bad idea after all. I'm not sure if I want to risk my wife falling off the back of the bike....

Guess I'll just buy the Givi rack and paint it to match.

Thanks for all the input gentleman.

Do the Givi mount, its much stronger & a good fit without drilling or cutting. I have no worries about loading up the C46.

There's a fellow on this forum who will powdercoat it any color you want & the mount comes back to you looking like all stock fittings. I did mine gloss black ( the mount came in 2003 sickerooleen silver which didn't match my '05).

Bob (Uhmmm), Bob in Washington (uhmmm), oh yeah, Bob McInnis. Great work, great price too.

(edit)

Finishing First, Inc

12970 SW Hall Blvd.

Tigard, OR 97223

Phone: 800-620-7001

Fax: 503-684-9733

I just bought a GIVI today at Daytona. I got the MAXIS v52 liter one. Got the mount also. I looked at the V46, but I was just barely able to get both helmets in it (very tight fit), so we opted for the MAXIS. This thing is the cat meow. I swore I would not get a trunk, but it's such a PITA with just the side bags. Either you put your helmets in there or your jackets, but not both! Not any more! They even mounted it free. Brenda thought she wanted a pad, so we tried one that was on another box and it pushed her too far forward (installer said it might), so we nixed that! Never thought I'd say it, but I like it! lol

I just bought a GIVI today at Daytona. I got the MAXIS v52 liter one. Got the mount also. I looked at the V46, but I was just barely able to get both helmets in it (very tight fit), so we opted for the MAXIS. This thing is the cat meow. I swore I would not get a trunk, but it's such a PITA with just the side bags. Either you put your helmets in there or your jackets, but not both! Not any more! They even mounted it free. Brenda thought she wanted a pad, so we tried one that was on another box and it pushed her too far forward (installer said it might), so we nixed that! Never thought I'd say it, but I like it! lol
One of the members (I think it was Toecutter) made some plates to move the GIVI box back so people could use a back rest. I'm sure someone who got one could chime in and point you in the right direction if your interested.

Yes, the Givi rack has a single coat of paint, no primer under it, and the color looks very crappy. It doesn't come close to matching anything on any year FJR. The reason I mention no primer is that it is likely to rust in short order. I don't understand how they can make a model specific rack and not even try to paint it to look reasonable on the bike. :angry: That is my only complaint with the Givi setup. The rack is sturdy and the bag (I have the V46 with the color matched lid) is very nice.

Anyway, I wire brushed the original paint off the rack, primed it, and painted it to match the dark gray on the engine. I didn't get an exact match but I am very happy with it.

I drilled the stock rack and mounted the E450 base to it. The factory case uses part of that rack, and I am comfortable with it's abilities to hold the loads I intend. Of course, I did it today, and it has no miles on it. We'll see. I looked around first, and even found a post from someone who said that before Givi made a mount, that was how the FJR guys mounted them. No one could remember a failure. The Givi steel rack would be stronger, of course.

I installed the V46 using the universal plate. No problems so far. I have done numerous 1000 to 2500 mile trips with my wife on board.
Check out these threads:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=3381&hl=

https://p083.ezboard.com/ffjr1300ownersasso...icID=2815.topic
Whats happening with the links? .....Getting Error Messages. I had Toecutters thread saved and tired to bring it up but nothing but error message.

Anyone know how I can communicate with Toecutter and buy one of his plates?

Does anyone know if you can use the E250 universal plate and mount the Monokey boxes (V46, E52, E46) to it or is the E250 plate only good for the Monolock boxes?

One of the members (I think it was Toecutter) made some plates to move the GIVI box back so people could use a back rest. I'm sure someone who got one could chime in and point you in the right direction if your interested.
Yeah, I made my own a couple of weeks ago. Moved it back 1-1/2". Pretty easy to do.

Over 15,000 miles 2 up with the Givi 46 mounted to the stock rack with the universal plate, no problems

and rock solid stable, my wife however does not lean back on it all (not counting sudden burst of throttle)

Ray