Mount Washington in september

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
Planning a trip from Montreal to Mount Washigton on friday the 19th.

I read that sometimes the road is close, any why is that ?

How is it ?

Read that it is posible to almost reach the top, is it true ?

We are planning to stop at Conway and then come back the day after to Montreal, is this a good place to stop ? Any idea where I could book the motels ?

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning a trip from Montreal to Mount Washigton on friday the 19th.
I read that sometimes the road is close, any why is that ?

How is it ?

Read that it is posible to almost reach the top, is it true ?
Riding the autoroad to the top of Mt. Washington is a great experience. However, the weather can be quite unpredictable, I have left the base on a bright sunny 76 degree day and encountered fog so thick I could barely see past my windshield. Be prepared for a huge drop in temperature, 75 degrees at the base -- 50 degrees at the top.

They may close the road due to high winds also. That whole area has some great riding around it so if you can't go to the top its not a total loss.

We were there in June. It was 81F at the bottom, 43F at the top, and that was a calm day with only 17 mph winds. You have to be prepared for anything on the way up.

Approximately 1/3 of the road is dirt/gravel. If there has been a lot of rain recently, they may have some washouts or other damage preventing regular traffic to the top.

I was there with my family last year in September. The day we went to drive up they would only let us go half way as there was two inches of snow at the top (It was sunny at the base). We left to come back the next day and chance it to the top (It's an hour by hour decision). Anyways..........sunny and cool at the base (55). We get to the top to encounter snow (the road was plowed) 32 degrees and 50 MPH winds.

Worth the drive as the roads in the area are fantastic!! I must recommend visiting Ben&Jerrys in Vermont, although that may not work from Montreal. Anyways, enjoy. You could always hike the trail to the top :))

I was there in June and had the same experience as Jeff. 80 at the bottom and 40 something at the top. It was dry and sunny when we reached the top and within 10 minutes, the fog/clouds rolled in and it started to spit rain. The weather is very unpredictable, be prepared, but it's worth it if you can do it. Awesome views from the top.

In case you don't already have this, check this out.... https://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

Smoke

When you ride up the road, reflect on the fact that there is a roadrace each year... :blink:

It's a great ride, and nothing really to add to the already good replies other than that you can either call the observatory or look online if you have web access for current conditions and closings.......I'm willing to bet that you'll have a great ride up the mountain provided there is no damn hurricane that comes up the coast. Keep an eye on the weather for a couple of days before you leave and pack layers/warm outer garment that is windproof. Tons of great roads in the immediate area, so don't let the mountain conditions dictate wether you come or not!

Enjoy the ride!

CJ

Edit- the road is NOT that difficult technically, relatively easy ride IMHO.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

Be sure to snap a pic of the Abdominal Snowman if you spot him atop Mt. Washington.

It's getting to be a "Where's Waldo" kinda thing around this forum.

Jeff-KarenMtWashington.jpg

1) Avoid the hundreds of leaf-peeping tour buses that will be in New England.

2) Whitehorse Press (Gear) is on the southern edge of Conway. A must-stop. See info under recommended vendors.