Mountain Bike Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came across this over at advrider and thought of this thread. Lots of good ideas including at least one FJR.

https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793362
FJRwbike1.jpg

I agree that these look very secure and well built. I'm sure the bike won't fall off while your riding after your subframe cracks.

If you look at the next picture you can see (where I've circled) where almost all of the down force will be. Depending on the weight distribution of the bike (I assume it's heavier towards the rear wheel), the force at the front mounting point will actually be upwards. If there was a way to transfer all of the weight to the rear seat area (essentially the main frame) this issue would be reduced.

FJRwbike2.jpg

But I promised to stop nagging

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the next picture you can see (where I've circled) where almost all of the down force will be. Depending on the weight distribution of the bike (I assume it's heavier towards the rear wheel), the force at the front mounting point will actually be upwards. If there was a way to transfer all of the weight to the rear seat area (essentially the main frame) this issue would be reduced.
But I promised to stop nagging
I agree, well, except I think your circle needs to be moved. Your circle shows where it'll be pushing on the rack, not where it'll be pushing on the subframe. That's that screw more forward on the bike...which is probably worse. :D Of course, the down force would be on all three mounting screws as well, so maybe the distribution helps.

I think the big problem though is the leverage coming into play here. Most folks bicycles I'm sure weigh less than what folks who've cracked their subframes have packed on the back I'm sure. A full tail bag with a rack on top and stuff up there plus stuff packed on the passenger seat will get heavy quick. And the bike certainly weighs less than a pillion, though the pillion is further forward than the bike.

I need to go back and look at some pics of the aux fuel tanks. Those have to be super heavy compared to a modestly priced bicycle (Not a 900lb Walmart bike either)

If you were going to go the trailer route, you could conceivably get one of those bike racks that mounts on the hitch ball, no?

Griff
The versions I've seen mount in the receiver, not on the ball itself...and the FJR trailer hitches I've seen don't have a 2" receiver, just a place to mount a ball.

If you were going to go the trailer route, you could conceivably get one of those bike racks that mounts on the hitch ball, no?

Griff
The versions I've seen mount in the receiver, not on the ball itself...and the FJR trailer hitches I've seen don't have a 2" receiver, just a place to mount a ball.

You are most likely correct... I've never really looked at one (the bike rack thingy) closely.

Griff