Mounting GPS...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I just got my 07 FJR last weekend. It came to me with an accesory shelf. I have a new Garmin zumo 665 to mount on it and the windshield is a Cee Baily. I would prefer to mount the GPS to the shelf but curious what brackets or methods people are mounting them to clear the windshild and still have visibility to the speedometer. Did you offset the GPS? I am not certain of the brand of shelf other than the front of the shelf has FJR cut into the metal and the shelf comes down to the glove box area on boths sides for mounting, oh, and there is a small curved cutout for speedometer visibility. I would love to see pictures. I tried searching but since GPS is less than 4 letters, the search feature is near useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my 07 FJR last weekend. It came to me with an accesory shelf. I have a new Garmin zumo 665 to mount on it and the windshield is a Cee Baily. I would prefer to mount the GPS to the shelf but curious what brackets or methods people are mounting them to clear the windshild and still have visibility to the speedometer. Did you offset the GPS? I am not certain of the brand of shelf other than the front of the shelf has FJR cut into the metal and the shelf comes down to the glove box area on boths sides for mounting, oh, and there is a small curved cutout for speedometer visibility. I would love to see pictures. I tried searching but since GPS is less than 4 letters, the search feature is near useless.
In a fit of farkling fury last weekend, this exact question was addressed. Same dash as yours, same desire to get GPS mounting to dash sorted--which mounting system to use?

On hand we had most of what was needed to go with either Touratech mounts or RAM mounts.

Long story short, RAM mounts have several advantages, as follows:

1. Versatile base for when your needs/technologies change.

2. Windscreen clears mounts at all adjust-ability levels.

3. Affordable for any budget.

4. Move-able for desired sight angle changes.

5. Space-saving base mounts leave more room on the dash for other uses.

The Touratech mounts had some advantages as well:

1. Lockable

2. High-tech in appearance and function.

In the end, it was the space consideration that won the day for RAM. These mounts allowed a wide range of adjustment, allowing the windscreen to remain unaffected.

Phil may be along with some pictures to add.

All the best,

Shane

Has anyone tried adapting a GPS mount from bmr shelves? I had one on my bmr shelf and out worked great....would only take a few holes drilled, but space is the issue....

Thanks for the replies and the link....however, after all the threads I have seen and searches I have done, I have not seen any detail in the mount to the shelf. I saw the recomendation for RAM mounts but my history with those are that the GPS shakes and vibrates... I have had better luck with more rigid brackets. Anyone care to show in detail the mounting to the shelf? I considerd going off the upper triple clamp since I have the upper triple clamp bar riser by motorcycle LArry and I have the holes already for a RAM ball, but I have prefered the GPS up high above the gauges. I had it mounted to the accesory shelf up high on my R1150Rt and I enjoyed it up high.

Here is what I did,I mounted mine with the included plastic disc with double sided tape.Just stuck it to the big nut on the triple tree use the suction cup mount you are done . I was willing to buy a mount but tried this it works so good and instant gradification. It is more solid than you would think,just wet the suction cup every now and than. I used zip ties in case it comes loose it won't go far.I have 2000 miles on it across RR tracks bumpy roads, it works for me.

Agree with Burt,my Tom-Tom sticks to the tank like a barnacle with the suction cup. The power cord doubles as an emergency tether..

I used a Techmount stem mount I got for around $60 on eBay. It replaces the center nut on the stem, has about a 6" riser, and has a plate on top. I also ordered a quick-detach adapter plate set (male/female) and a Nuvi 13xx holder from RAM... about $40 total. I went this route because I also order a couple of male plates to connect to another Nuvi 3xx mount, and a universal finger mount for my Android smart phone. I can use either Nuvi GPS on the bike, or the phone w/Google maps/navigation. I will get another mount, probably for the right side brake reservoir, so I can mount the phone and GPS simultaneously.

These mounts work great, and for security I just dismount the device and either take it with me or stick it in one of the side cases. I can also use a GPS or phone on one of my other motorcycles, setting them up with a RAM QD plate system.

The one thing I have left to do is to make an adapter from the battery charging connector that was installed by my dealer to keep the battery up while on the showroom floor, to drop the voltage down to 5v and give me a USB connector. I need to get to the battery and check the dealer-installed cable, because I bet there's no fuse in-line.

The touratech locking mount is the most secure, but will require some planning and fabricating to get the right position sand angle. But once it's bolted in, it's solid, and you won't fret every time you have to leave it on the bike for a few minutes.

Well, I got the FJR out on the roads this weekend for the first time. I am rethinking the mounting. I may take my shelf off. I may go off a ram ball on the triple clamp. I think it would be easier and cheaper just to but the RAM ball and thread into my triple clamp since I have the motorcycle Larry upper triple clamp bar riser replacement than to get the stem ball mount. Anyone use the MCL holes to mount?

I i removed the triple clamp nut(cover), drilled and tapped it to receive a ram ball . then threaded the ram ball into the hole ,using threadlock. use a 3" ram arm with the ram end that attaches to the TourTech plate for the locking mount. I have the garmin Zumo 660. works great. doesnt block the instruments and is easily read over my Full size tank bag.

Phil here chiming in . . . I'd like to show you what Shane came up with for my N-LINE Dash configuration. (Sorry about the windshield goo - went thru many fields of male goats on my way home from Iowa!)

IMG_5441.JPG

This is the dash with 2 GPS's mounted, offset from the center by a couple inches in order to allow for XM puck. The sides still have enough room for a TPMS, and a V1. Note the strategically placed thermometer. The red button is the power. I concurred with Shane , with his idea of having the dash wired directly to the battery. Nice work Shane! So the bike is off, hit the red button and boom let there be power.

IMG_5442.jpg

This is just another angle view of the Ram Mounts

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.JPG

Picture of the connections. waiting for a loom to clean the visuals

The million dollar question is, Does it vibrate to the point where you want to say &*$% it! :banghead: Buy 2 new black inner panels since you drilled the snot out of them to fit the aux light wires, and sell all the GPS units? NO, the vibration is minimal, on a semi smooth highway, the machine info is visible at faster than light speeds. (I don't look at them, they talk to me - even in my dreams)

IMG_5445.JPG

Shane meticulously coiled the wires and zip tied them under the dash.

IMG_5448.jpg

With the screen all the way down, I have roughly a .25" between the GPS's and the Cee Baileys flip windshield. On the corners of the GPS's the .25" is reduced to 4-5mm of clearance. Would it hit in an extreme wind gust? Probably. However, the ram mounts allow you to adjust the GPS even lower so you could get away with the windshield in the completely downward position. I have no trouble with checking speed, whoa! What a performance award!!! :fans:

IMG_5446.JPG

This is the windshield in the most upright setting.

IMG_5453.JPG

And there you have it folks - Cedar Rapids style!

P.S. Thank you Shane! :rockwoot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got the FJR out on the roads this weekend for the first time. I am rethinking the mounting. I may take my shelf off. I may go off a ram ball on the triple clamp. I think it would be easier and cheaper just to but the RAM ball and thread into my triple clamp since I have the motorcycle Larry upper triple clamp bar riser replacement than to get the stem ball mount. Anyone use the MCL holes to mount?
Think cheap and rigid.

(Click on image for larger view)

Write-up here (first part deals with my Trophy, 2nd with the FJR)

Since modified slightly, the mounting holes are slots so I can merely loosen the screws to remove it, and the feed is into the loom for my heated vest controller.