Mounting HID Aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of the Shanglight Express auxillary HID driving lamps from a forum member. China Lights

They came with mounts although I am not certain whether they are the ones that were in the group buy. In any case, I don't have any instructions so I am wondering if the rubber gasket goes between the mount and the fairing or between the mirror and the mount. I'm guessing between the mount and the fairing to protect the paint?? It may become clearer once I start putting it together...

Ross

youtube video on these lights that I just watched, there is also a link to the installation

the link is on the youtube channel

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own mounts Ross so I'm not sure but, I put the gaskets between them and the paint.. Figured no sense scratching it up even if ya cant see it.

Plus it hide the small gap where the mount doesn't quite match the curve of the fairing.

I made my own mounts Ross so I'm not sure but, I put the gaskets between them and the paint.. Figured no sense scratching it up even if ya cant see it.

Plus it hide the small gap where the mount doesn't quite match the curve of the fairing.
Thanks Bust

I had more or less come to the same conclusion and was planning to do it that way unless someone gave me a good reason to do otherwise.

Ross

Ross,

You have it right. The rubber sticks to the underside of the bracket between the bracket and the faring to protect the paint.
It was fairly obvious once I really got into it. I'm going to have to Dremel the edge off one of the brackets - just barely making contact with the windshield when its retracted. Couldn't get a suitable waterproof switch today so hooking up the lights will have to wait for another day.

Thanks

Edit: I also confirmed that the brackets are, in fact, the ones from the Group Buy.

Ross,

You have it right. The rubber sticks to the underside of the bracket between the bracket and the faring to protect the paint.
It was fairly obvious once I really got into it. I'm going to have to Dremel the edge off one of the brackets - just barely making contact with the windshield when its retracted. Couldn't get a suitable waterproof switch today so hooking up the lights will have to wait for another day.

Thanks

Edit: I also confirmed that the brackets are, in fact, the ones from the Group Buy.
So, will you dremel on the bracket o the windshield? :unsure:

For me, with as many different shields as I have, I'd be tempted to go with the soft plastic first, at least until I was sure I was keeping the aux lights.

Also, FWIW, I have a complete set of aux lights (FF50's and Garauld brackets, the latter of which I think its what you have) sitting in a box here. I installed them, but later took them off as I was unable to use them for what I wanted, which was partly to fill in the foreground under my HID high beams at night, but also for maximum conspicuity during the daylight hours. On my lowly first gen with the anemic alternator, the combination of having the aux lights and just a set of heated grips on was enough to send me into battery charge deficit.

I should really price up the 1st to 2nd gen alternator upgrade.

Ross,

Thanks

So, will you dremel on the bracket o the windshield? :unsure:

For me, with as many different shields as I have, I'd be tempted to go with the soft plastic first, at least until I was sure I was keeping the aux lights.

Also, FWIW, I have a complete set of aux lights (FF50's and Garauld brackets, the latter of which I think its what you have) sitting in a box here. I installed them, but later took them off as I was unable to use them for what I wanted, which was partly to fill in the foreground under my HID high beams at night, but also for maximum conspicuity during the daylight hours. On my lowly first gen with the anemic alternator, the combination of having the aux lights and just a set of heated grips on was enough to send me into battery charge deficit.

I should really price up the 1st to 2nd gen alternator upgrade.
I wouldn't bother Dremelling the windshield. It only touches while fully retracted (will be a bit more at speed) so I figured the bracket would effectively Dremel the shield over time. I would only have to take a mm or so off one edge of the bracket and apply a bit of black paint. I don't think its been established how much current these things actually draw. I'll have to measure once I have them working. I expect on the order of 40W each. Even with heated gear, I should be in good shape as far as power is concerned.

I'm hoping to be able to throw a lot of light down the road to effectively illuminate nocturnal wildlife, Will probably point the right one toward the right to light up the ditch a bit but it might give the bike a bit of a Marty Feldman appearance.

MV5BMTIwMjA5ODc4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwOTg2._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg