mounting monolock case on Gen1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pista

Reaction score
I just picked up a new, in box Givi e370 monolock case. It includes a universal plastic mounting plate that apparently mounts to the oem plastic tailpiece. I'd like to avoid that.

Searching the forum it appears that trunks are usually mounted to a Gen1 by either a Givi 346, PCA, or ohfjr rack. (A stiffy kit being recommended for the later two options.)

The PCA and ohfjr options are no longer available, unless I can find one used.

The Givi 346 is available but apparently places the topcase closer to the pillion.

To my utter amazement, my wife just recently asked if she can start riding with me. I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for her.

So before spending money on the Givi, only to find it may crowd her to much, what is the best option to mount my topcase?

Good question and one I shall be watching closely. I will putting a topcase on mine down the road but unlike you my wife will not ride with me until our youngest is 18. I cannot complain about that as she is the one who lets me ride and buys me motorcycles to keep me happy. Funny thing is she will let him ride with me......

Get the Givi SR346. It is not cheap at around $150, but can often be picked up for about half of that. It replaces the stock passenger grab rails and while it might place the box an inch or so further forward, my wife has not found that to be an issue.

That mounting system does a great job of stiffening the rear sub-frame as it provides a steel brace between the top of the vulnerable vertical section, and a solid mount further forwards (It uses the OEM mounting points for the grab rails).

It should be a complete solution.

The Givi e370 is a small top case so i believe that the subframe will not have any problem.

You could buy a Shad adapter plate and install the Givi universal plastic mounting plate on this adapter plate.

Have a look how this plate mounts on.

https://shadusa.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/imagenes/Y0FJ31ST.pdf

https://www.shadonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Y0FJ31ST-2

pic410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The E370 is a 39 liter top Case. Yamaha imposes an 11 lb? limit on topcase loading, a figure very easily exceeded with a case that has a greater capacity than the OEM side cases.

I wouldn't be trusting it to that mounting plate, but it is a matter for the OP ... at least he is being offered alternative options.

Whatever the final choice try to restrict the items in the top case to lower weight, bulky things.

My (ex-)wife and I were both a little chunkier than we ought to have been, and no issues with room with my E52. Since she always wore a good jacket I didn't need the stupid backrest on the box....

The Givi e370 is a small top case so i believe that the subframe will not have any problem.You could buy a Shad adapter plate and install the Givi universal plastic mounting plate on this adapter plate.

pic410.jpg
Thanks mihalis, this is a possible option. I would definitely get a set of geraulds brackets with this setup.

The main concern is having the topcase located back far enough.

Is this the setup you have?

My (ex-)wife and I were both a little chunkier than we ought to have been, and no issues with room with my E52. Since she always wore a good jacket I didn't need the stupid backrest on the box....
Did you have that mounted on a Givi rack? My e370 is much smaller and depending on the attachment point to the base, perhaps is located farther from the pillion.

The E370 is a 39 liter top Case. Yamaha imposes an 11 lb? limit on topcase loading, a figure very easily exceeded with a case that has a greater capacity than the OEM side cases.
I wouldn't be trusting it to that mounting plate, but it is a matter for the OP ... at least he is being offered alternative options.

Whatever the final choice try to restrict the items in the top case to lower weight, bulky things.
Agree with you Twigg.

Get the Givi SR346. It is not cheap at around $150, but can often be picked up for about half of that.
I found a Kappa KR346 ($138) that is supposed to be identical to the Givi SR346 ($168). They would also swap out for the correct baseplate at no extra cost.

Finding a used rack would be great. However they come with a Monokey base and my e370 is Monolock. The base is an additional $50.

The Givi e370 is a small top case so i believe that the subframe will not have any problem.You could buy a Shad adapter plate and install the Givi universal plastic mounting plate on this adapter plate.

pic410.jpg
Thanks mihalis, this is a possible option. I would definitely get a set of geraulds brackets with this setup.

The main concern is having the topcase located back far enough.

Is this the setup you have?
I had bought this adapter plate to install a Shad top case,but finally i found an oem top case in a very cheap price,so i installed the oem top case and i sold this adapter plate to a member here in the forum.This Shad adapter plate is really strong and high quality product!If you don't like to install an oem top case this is the best alternative solution ''for me''.

I have the Givi SR346 on my '03. Passenger accomodations are not a problem, and the padded backrest option may be something you'll want to spring for.

I wouldn't use the factory Yamaha mounting plate.

I have the Givi SR346 on my '03. Passenger accomodations are not a problem, and the padded backrest option may be something you'll want to spring for.
I have driven the factory Yamaha rack and mounting plate and 39 liter Yamaha top case ( very hight quality item, not like the flimsy GIVI monolock cases) for 12 years. I have the same setup on my 2015ES. Looks great functions great. Uses the same key for all locks, etc.etc.

I have driven the factory Yamaha rack and mounting plate and 39 liter Yamaha top case ( very hight quality item, not like the flimsy GIVI monolock cases) for 12 years. I have the same setup on my 2015ES. Looks great functions great. Uses the same key for all locks, etc.etc.
+1 I am very happy with the OEM top case!
smile.png
good.gif

You can save room by not installing a passenger backpad on a topcase. I have the OEM case and didn't install the backpad so that my wife wouldn't crowd me as bad. Your passenger should be wearing a proper riding jacket that includes an internal backpad, so no need to take up more space with one on the trunk. Not sure how comfy your Givi case would be without a backpad though?

You can save room by not installing a passenger backpad on a topcase. I have the OEM case and didn't install the backpad so that my wife wouldn't crowd me as bad. Your passenger should be wearing a proper riding jacket that includes an internal backpad, so no need to take up more space with one on the trunk. Not sure how comfy your Givi case would be without a backpad though?
My wife is happy leaning back on a Givi E360 with no backrest. She has a jacket with a decent back protector.

My wife is happy leaning back on a Givi E360 with no backrest. She has a jacket with a decent back protector.
My case came with the back-pad already affixed to it.

We just picked up a jacket for her that has back protection so I may just remove that pad. Looks like we have to do some "test fitting" when the weather gets nicer.

Yes quality counts. But I'm cheap. I paid under $70 shipped to my door for a brand new, in the original box Givi. With a backpad.

No fail as long as it doesn't fall off and keeps the stuff inside dry.

Remember the problem you are trying to avoid isn't caused by either the quality of the case OR the mounting plates. It is caused by the method of mounting to a vulnerable part.

Many folk have used both the Yamaha case and the Givi (and others), with no problems whatsoever ... and there are many broken sub-frames out there too.

The "stiffy" kit was designed for a reason, and the Give SR346 provides similar protection. It may be that neither is needed if you stick rigidly to the load limits. That said, hit a bump with a loaded top case and a wife leaning back on the case, and who knows what trouble you might be in.

This has been a good thread with all the options explored. Good luck, whatever you choose to do :)