Mourning the lost of an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was sudden but his CCT was not actually broke. It still had some tension when I checked it with the screw driver. However I think it was too weak and was the cause of the failure.

Wow, that does suck. I know he bought it used , and that he hasn't had it all that long himself but put some decent miles on it in that time.

I hope it works out for him to have an FJR in the future as I know he really did like the bike. He and His feejer will be in my prayers........

KM

Im sure he will have one soon, he was calling about one as he was driving away from my house LOL

I am confused ( nothing new there) where did the compression go if it is still correct on the cam timing ??? Wouldn't it have to have changed cam timing for the valves to hit pistons and cause the compression loss ??? Please more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused ( nothing new there) where did the compression go if it is still correct on the cam timing ??? Wouldn't it have to have changed cam timing for the valves to hit pistons and cause the compression loss ??? Please more info.
My guess would be loose tensioner allowed backlash and pistons to smack the valves. With all the spark plugs out there is a distinct crunchy sound when turning the motor over with a wrench. Dont sound good. On top of NO compression at all in any cylinder.

I believe the CCT did not fail...looks to be the chain was stretched out at 100k miles and came off at the cam sprocket(s) end at the top

the crank end at the bottom was fine, on the sprocket, and in time ... and the new CCT put correct tension on the stretched out chain; chain was a tight as a bride and could not be made to "flex". When you shut down a bike with jumped teeth (for whatever reason), it can "back slap" and reverse enough as the inertia is stopping the engine and the backwards turn slaps pistons into valves enough to fubar it. Then I spun the engine with the starter after changing the CCT (which the old one seems just barely weaker than the new one) and the chain had obviously to me jumped the cam sprockets since the crank end was in time. Then the starter felt like new and the battery felt like new cause it really spun the engine fast and easy after that !!!

just my 1.5 cents

my problem it seems was a worn out stretched out chain at 100k miles...not CCT problem

a big thank you to RadioHowie and Ionbeam who, with unfortunate (common) experience, were more than willing to help me out with thoughts, and advice all along. Both called me today to offer help and sympathy in my plight. Ionbeam da Allan instructed me on testing things out after we got the crank timing chain cover off and showed us how to check the timing between the sprocket and top dead center of cylinder #1. We then did a compression test with zero zero zero zero and that was that. RadioHowie da Steve called me to check on me (was on my way home with bike on trailer) and I felt bad how bad he felt for me (I think he was having a flashback :blink: ).

And a big Thanx to my friend Jeff_Q for his willingness to do whatever he could to assist me...from his mechanical expertise and driving 80 miles to my home to help, and working all night at his job and inviting me to come this morning to diagnose the engine's condition once and for all.

Anyway, with such support and sympathy from all of you, I can't feel very down over a bike and just feel it's what's meant to be and look forward to another FJR that works this time. No regret about the time and goodness I've gotten out of my '04 Isabella and 100k miles isn't so bad. I've had it 11 months and put 30k miles on it.

And it convulsed and died in my garage, not on my SFO trip, Run For The Wall from Dallas to Wash DC and back, or even my many Florida trips and Dragon TN/NC trips. In my garage...thanx Isabella...how convenient.

Onward and Upward,

In the scheme of things, nobody died, nobody's hurt, nobody's got cancer, no crime to absorb happened.

Everyone is all right and the rest is gravy...definitely glass half full.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Mike,

You're a real "Mensch."

I'm proud to be a forum "bud" and am looking forward to ride with you very soon.

'Howie