Mourning the lost of an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the scheme of things, nobody died, nobody's hurt, nobody's got cancer, no crime to absorb happened.Everyone is all right and the rest is gravy...definitely glass half full.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'
Don't be so pessimistic, Mike. All will be well soon. Looking forward to hearing that you're on the road again.

Sorry this happened Patriot.

I know many have learned from Radio Howie and ionbeams issues. Maybe this will also get others including myself to change the timing chain at the next valve adjustment. ;)

Sorry this happened Patriot.
I know many have learned from Radio Howie and ionbeams issues. Maybe this will also get others including myself to change the timing chain at the next valve adjustment. ;)
I think a good rule of thumb is to change the CCT at 40k and both CCT and chain at 80k or third valve adjustment

should be good to go

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins

Well dang Mike, that sucks. I'm glad that your current situation lets you move on with so little negative impact.

It turned out to be a pretty bad day for the ol' Beam yesterday. First I talk with you while you confirm the death of your FJR and then later in the day get a PM about another FJR that appears to have experienced an untimely death, also via the cam chain. I'm still waiting to hear back on that one.

I hope you find a new FJR to love soon!

Sorry about the motor Patriot, but you have a great sense of perspective. I bet that transcends everything in your life. Good luck bud,

Sorry to hear about Isabella Mike, She was Good, She was Strong, She served you well and She died with Dignity at home!

Can't ask for more than that. The Memories will last FOREVER. :cray:

Well dang Mike, that sucks. I'm glad that your current situation lets you move on with so little negative impact.
It turned out to be a pretty bad day for the ol' Beam yesterday. First I talk with you while you confirm the death of your FJR and then later in the day get a PM about another FJR that appears to have experienced an untimely death, also via the cam chain. I'm still waiting to hear back on that one.

I hope you find a new FJR to love soon!
OMG!! What the hell is goin' on here??

NOT good news for whoever.

'Howie

Yesterday evening: Post.

There is no code 100 listed in the FSM, either it is an error or an 'unadvertised special' that may mean something to a dealer with extended factory resources.

I sincerely hope that this is not what it appears to be at the first reading.

Dang people, whatz goin' on here?

Well Sh%* Patriot, that really stinks :angry2: I've been pulling for you. It sounds like she was a good steed. Good luck finding the next one. In the meantime, I've got an TTR-90 in the garage I'm looking to sell. May be a little small, doesn't have the range nor near the storage of the FJR, but it's got great tires :rolleyes:
ttr90.jpg

-Joe

Seems like this issue of cam chains and tensioners is just beginning to surface. I don't remember hearing that much about it, from the 03 models coming out to sometime last year. I remember my 04 starting to make a little bit of noise at 40,000 miles. I was worried that it was the infamous ticking noise from the bad valve guides at first, but now I'm pretty sure it was the cam chain doing it.

GP

I agree that the recent reports of catastrophic failures in the cam timing system are troubling (with a capital "T")! Crap!!

The report from Patriot that he's thinking the cam chain stretched while he had apparently maintained pretty much normal chain tension with functional CCT is especially troubling...

As I recall from a recent post from HaulinAshe, even with really high miles, his cam chain had no measurable wear when compared to a brand new one. I recall he replaced his as preventative maintenance, and in light of recent developments, that may well have saved him from serious problems.

He also mentioned heavy wear on the pivot pin for the CCT. It will be interesting to see if Patriot's pin also shows heavy wear, or perhaps that may have been the failure point which initiated the whole freakin mess?

My lightly used 06 (6300 miles) is probably not in imminent danger, but it is the honest and forthright reports from the other forum members which makes this place such a wonderful resource for us all. You can bet that all the reports are being filed away for future reference!

My condolences to both LuvtoRide and Patriot for their breakdowns! Hoping for a speedy and relatively painless correction so you can get back on the road again.

Don

He also mentioned heavy wear on the pivot pin for the CCT. It will be interesting to see if Patriot's pin also shows heavy wear, or perhaps that may have been the failure point which initiated the whole freakin mess?Don
Thanx Don and thanx all... :yahoo:

checked the pivot on mine and it seemed in like new shape to moi

admittally, today is a tougher day, but family is being very sweet to me and that's a wonderful thing

AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) asked what I wanted for my lunch & dinner...my wish is hers to fill

well simple stuff like homemade po-boy (for ya'll...submarine sandwhich) and then Italian bread crumbs baked chicken thighs

(yes, I'm a leg man...but others say "Mike, you're a Ass Man !!! :rolleyes: )

Oldest daughter offered me her birthday money to help with a bike...crisp $100 bill from her 16th birthday last Thur <cry time>

Found it on my pillow today <course it's going back on hers this evening at bedtime>

Lotsa hugs as I pass in the hallway :clapping:

Life is good in the scheme of things :yahoo:

Mike in Nawlins'