move to the darkside???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfpextraordinaire

Reaction score
:assassin: :assassin: :assassin: i gotta tell ya, my little lady has made the commitment that if i get a scoot that will give her a bit of security while riding two-up she will go with me on my rides. I simply love my fjr and just competed a 2500 mile trip through the beautiful pacific northwest with my pal but honestly, I would rather have my bride of 24 years riding with me than leaving her at home. I have been considering a "oh my gosh" HD Ultra Classic instead of the FJR and wanted to see what ya'all thought about my thought process. You have all been great here and I have learned so much from the forum, i gotta know what "you guys" think about dfp's dilemma...

Okay, have at it ladies and gentlemen, i can take it... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Honestly? When I 'retire' from sport touring, I'll be on a Road Glide or a Wing. Provided, of course, Harley still makes bikes and not merely a marketer of logo'd clothes or just is a House of Lifestyle...

Honestly? When I 'retire' from sport touring, I'll be on a Road Glide or a Wing. Provided, of course, Harley still makes bikes and not merely a marketer of logo'd clothes or just is a House of Lifestyle...
twn

so, whatchathink a wing or a hd?
Are you sure this security can't be had on the FJR with a really super nice Russel pillion seat, backrest, topcase, arm rests? Hmm? We want to see you create the ultimate pillion FJR farkle combo!!! :yahoo:

twnso, whatchathink a wing or a hd?
Really depends on the type of riding I'll be able to do. If I can still LD tour, it'll be the Wing. If LD is out, then I'll do the Glide. Of all my bikes, my Road King was easiest to ride locally.
twnso, whatchathink a wing or a hd?
Are you sure this security can't be had on the FJR with a really super nice Russel pillion seat, backrest, topcase, arm rests? Hmm? We want to see you create the ultimate pillion FJR farkle combo!!! :yahoo:
Snigger!

twn

so, whatchathink a wing or a hd?
Definitely a :good: .....

I think she would like the wing better and you would like the HD. Just a guess.

ya could be right about the Harley. The wing is interesting but the Harley is a beautiful machine. I talked with her about the additional farkles and showed her some pictures with the seat and top case, she still had some hesitation. The Ultra looks like the perfect "pillion" scoot, lotsa security in the seat, plenty of room for the beautiful girl and the stereo, fairing, power and looks are appealing. I am so torn, I love my 06 so much! Even considering a Harley runs against the grain...

WTF, over! :dribble: :blink: :glare: :glare: :angry2:

ya could be right about the Harley. The wing is interesting but the Harley is a beautiful machine. I talked with her about the additional farkles and showed her some pictures with the seat and top case, she still had some hesitation. The Ultra looks like the perfect "pillion" scoot, lotsa security in the seat, plenty of room for the beautiful girl and the stereo, fairing, power and looks are appealing. I am so torn, I love my 06 so much! Even considering a Harley runs against the grain...WTF, over! :dribble: :blink: :glare: :glare: :angry2:
In your avatar is that her riding the Harley? :dribble:

If your serious get the Wing...built for comfort and get going these days with the 1800 donk...as for the HD they were not built for the passenger it was like the built the bike then plonked the rider and the passenger down and said "there ya go" where the wing was built around the rider and passenger.

If you can I would try and swing both bikes..I have an 06 FLHX and when the wife and I travel we wouldn't even consider the FJR. The HD has more storage capacity, a big fairing, XM, CD, and much more room for two passengers. We are just more comfy and relaxed and I don't feel the need to go as fast on the HD. Don't get me wrong I love my FJR and I feel it is perfectly capable of riding coast to coast in comfort and its tons more fun on the back roads but for really long rides the HD is just suited better for the task. The HD is also fun in a different way that's hard to explain until you ride one....Going down a super slab on the FJR is kinda boring IMHO but just riding the HD just puts a grin on my face no matter where I'm going, again kinda hard to explain. The wing is an awesome machine but just a little to much for me and also, to me, lacks character if that makes any sense....You also might want to look at the new Victory Vision

My wife isn't so crazy about riding the FJR either...she just plain wants a backrest. Since 95% of my riding is solo I figure I'll hang in there another 10 yrs or so and then get a Wing.

"My wife isn't so crazy about riding the FJR either...she just plain wants a backrest."

Dude, if lack of a backrest is the issue, Garauld can fix you right up - I have one of his backrests on my '05 and my wife said it made all the difference in the world.

And the backrest looks like it belongs on the bike too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wing It if your going to jump scoots - I prowled around the HD dealership before I bought my FJR this year - I honestly walk out of there saying to myself "WTF - I just don't get it" and I still don't get it. My wife and I were talking last week that when the last kid is out the door we want to pick up a Wing and do some serious road work.

Sounds like you like the "look" of the Harley over the wing.

If it was me, I'd go with the wing. Definately going to be more comfortable than pretty much anything else out there.

Plus, after coming from the FJR, you can be one of those guys on Killboy.com with the wing dragging pegs and sparks flying!