move to the darkside???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with your sentiments about wanting your wife of 24 years to ride with you. I feel the same about my wife of 27 years. The FJR is my/our first bike and Lorie is happy with the Givi top box as that provides her the "security" she needs (probably doesn't hurt that she doesn't really have anything to compare it to). We also invested in Rick Mayer saddles that, for us, were a huge improvement over stock. That said, Lories if fine riding with me for a "few hours," but if I wanted to really head out on a cross country trip or the like, I think I'd be pushing my luck. We have sat on a couple of Wings at the dealer and that really is a plush ride for the pax. You might also take a look at the BMW 1200LT. Morton's BMW actually let me test ride one of those when my experience level was at about the 100 mile mark - and probably half of those miles were test riding 2 other BMWs! The best part of that bike is the hydrolic (electric) centerstand; you can sit on the bike, press a button, and up you go! Oh, and it rode pretty nice too!

My personal opinion, if I were going to spend $20k+ on a bike, it would not be a HD, my humble opinion is that it's in no way worth that kind of money and "image" isn't something I'm willing to pay for. I'd buy a Wing before the BMW, but would probably be happy with either! Good luck on your decision.

dfp, have you considered hunting around for shops that will rent a Wing and an Ultra? I know we have such shops here in Dallas - who knows, you might have one close to Oregon too. That way your wife and you will get to experience both bikes on some weekend rides.

If your getting a bike for your wife to enjoy get the wing. Two wings and 250,000 miles and my wife still liked to go. IF she was still physically able to ride I would have a wing and the FJR. IMHO

Phil

i gotta tell ya, my little lady has made the commitment that if i get a scoot that will give her a bit of security while riding two-up she will go with me on my rides. I simply love my fjr and just competed a 2500 mile trip through the beautiful pacific northwest with my pal but honestly, I would rather have my bride of 24 years riding with me than leaving her at home.
Well, keeping momma happy will keep you happy. I'd take her "test-sitting" and "test-riding" if possible. Whichever one made her happy would be the one I bought. Period. Forget about brands and forums and what the neighbors might say. This is your wife. You picked her a long time ago.

Yup, what scab said, +...

I really like the design of the Ultra Classic bagger for my AARP years and may still get one, BUT I took a few other HD machines for a ride. My dad's 2 HD's are newer machines with the stage 3 Screamin Eagle kits-a 1200R and a custom from the factory.(I don't know WTF moniker of it is.) Even though these bikes were cammed and stroked/ported, whatever they do to get to stage 3, I didn't find the performance enough for me. Rev limiters smacked my fun right outta the sky.

A friend of mine I've toured out west with did a similar thing. He used to tour on his FJ12 w/soft luggage, but went to a Super Glide stage3 for his wife to join him on. Didn't work for them.

Another option is to introduce her to some women who ride their own machines and see if she's interested in a bike of her own? My wife much preferred her own bike and has put on over 50k since we met 10 years ago. :yahoo:

Another option is to introduce her to some women who ride their own machines and see if she's interested in a bike of her own? My wife much preferred her own bike and has put on over 50k since we met 10 years ago. :yahoo:
I was waiting to see if anyone else came up with this thought. How does your good lady feel about the possibility of riding her own?

If she has any interest whatsoever, I suggest that she try an MSF class. BTW, you don't get to watch. That is intimidating for a student. Let her take the class, then chat about it afterwards. She may decide that this is absolutely not for her, and that's OK. On the other hand she might like it.

If that's the case, you can pick up a SMALL, USED bike for her to cut her teeth on, without fear of hurting it. You may of course create a monster and have to fight for the right to ride your FJR (or buy her an 08).

Should she have even the slightest interest, I'd be happy to chat with her and encourage her.

Jill

I'd get a backrest or top trunk (givi) with a back pad. Sure a lot cheaper than a new bike if you're happy with the current one. Neither the Wing nor a cruiser will be the same (less cornering clearance on both).

If you want to change your entire STYLE of riding, that's a different issue.

How can you even think of going from a fine tuned sport touring bike to a crude Harley? Wing all the way if you can't farkel up the FJR enough for her tastes.

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin: i gotta tell ya, my little lady has made the commitment that if i get a scoot that will give her a bit of security while riding two-up she will go with me on my rides. I simply love my fjr and just competed a 2500 mile trip through the beautiful pacific northwest with my pal but honestly, I would rather have my bride of 24 years riding with me than leaving her at home. I have been considering a "oh my gosh" HD Ultra Classic instead of the FJR and wanted to see what ya'all thought about my thought process. You have all been great here and I have learned so much from the forum, i gotta know what "you guys" think about dfp's dilemma... Okay, have at it ladies and gentlemen, i can take it... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I dont get this. The whole notion that somehow riding a HDUC or a GW is going to give her security. Perhaps she is refering to the false sense of security she would get by riding on a bigger piece of steel? I think i would suggest that she learn something about bike technology and basic physics before she makes a chioce of bikes.

Honestly? When I 'retire' from sport touring, I'll be on a Road Glide or a Wing. Provided, of course, Harley still makes bikes and not merely a marketer of logo'd clothes or just is a House of Lifestyle...

Road Glide and Wing, good advise, I have a Electra Glide but if I did it again, it be a Road Glide.

ya could be right about the Harley. The wing is interesting but the Harley is a beautiful machine. I talked with her about the additional farkles and showed her some pictures with the seat and top case, she still had some hesitation. The Ultra looks like the perfect "pillion" scoot, lotsa security in the seat, plenty of room for the beautiful girl and the stereo, fairing, power and looks are appealing. I am so torn, I love my 06 so much! Even considering a Harley runs against the grain...WTF, over! :dribble: :blink: :glare: :glare: :angry2:
The ride of the Road glide is much better than the Ultra Glide cause of the fairing. My wife loves our Harley and would never once consider going for a ride with me for the first 3 years but now she loves it. Again it's an Electra Glide but I must say again the Road Glide is better.

I'm really enjoying my FJR and I guess I will have to get a passenger backrest before she'll ride on it. I'm looking forward to her trying the FJR.

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin: i gotta tell ya, my little lady has made the commitment that if i get a scoot that will give her a bit of security while riding two-up she will go with me on my rides. I simply love my fjr and just competed a 2500 mile trip through the beautiful pacific northwest with my pal but honestly, I would rather have my bride of 24 years riding with me than leaving her at home. I have been considering a "oh my gosh" HD Ultra Classic instead of the FJR and wanted to see what ya'all thought about my thought process. You have all been great here and I have learned so much from the forum, i gotta know what "you guys" think about dfp's dilemma... Okay, have at it ladies and gentlemen, i can take it... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Just added a Wing for the same reason. Haven't riddin it yet, but it sure looks good. The dealership also carries Harleys. For the life of me, for the cost of 'em I just don't get the Harley thing at all. Now the Wing on the other hand...all you have to do is look at it and sit on it and you know that it was meant to travel long and far (in two up comfort).

But...different strokes for diffrerent folks (I just made that up).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is fun to be able to share a ride with the wifey. When I first got the bike she wasnt too thrilled to ride along...esp with no backrest. Once I added the backrest and Russel seat she was all set. Now we go on trips all of the time. She does mention it would be nice to have armrests...but I tell her they are very dangerous if we go down?????

Has there ever been an armrest farkle on the FJR??