Moving bag locks from damaged bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to move the locking mechanism from one right side bag that has a damaged spar(?) to an old rightside bag that is scratched but will stay on the bike without bungy cord assistance.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it difficult?

Before I go looking into doing this, I wanted to know if there were any pitfalls to avoid.

I did a search but no results came up for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need a T-10 security torx and it is simply a matter of removing the two screws on the latch that go to the lock. The lock will then just slid right out and you can move it to the other bag.

Piece of Cake

You just need a T-10 security torx and it is simply a matter of removing the two screws on the latch that go to the lock. The lock will then just slid right out and you can move it to the other bag. Piece of Cake
Thanks drj! B)

Off to get that T-10... :cownoy:

Yo drj! (or anyone else for that matter),

I got the T-10 wrench and the T-10 is too large for the indentation of the connector.

What do I do now? :eek:

One man's piece of cake is another's cheese soufle' I guess... :rolleyes: :D

Huh? Did you get the T-10 "security" bit? That's all it should take. Should be straightforward and simple.

The security T-10 has an indentation to fit over the dimple that is in the center of the screws.

Huh?  Did you get the T-10 "security" bit?  That's all it should take.  Should be straightforward and simple. 
The security T-10 has an indentation to fit over the dimple that is in the center of the screws.
I went back and retried it...and I guess the screw WAS being being loosened. I checked again after you posted and I got the screws out. I've never used these kind of screws before and I just couldn't feel any feedback in the handle - so I thought I was stripping the head of the screw and didn't want to do that.

Now, I will switch the lock...

Thanks Skooter & drj!

This forum was MADE for doughheads like me... :D :D :cownoy:

Don't forget to blue locktite the screw when re-assembling. Otherwise the screws can back out, then the lock will go by-by, and eventually the sidebag. This has happened to a couple people.

Thanks Skooter,

Blue loctite applied per previous helpful board info...

Hey now that I've got that out of the way, I think I'm qualified now to start checking those valve clearances don't cha think? ;) ;) :haha: :haha:

That bag deal is the prerequisite for checking valve lash. You are now qualified to attack that job. Let us know the results, eh?