Moving

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditbwc

Reaction score
So this sat. I am loading my u-hual up to head down to cali. I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge or experiance putting an FJR in a Uhaul truck. Like where in the truck I should put it? IT is a 10' truck and the FJR will be the heaviest thing in the truck. My Ent. center would be next. When I tie it down do i use center stand? Most important anybody know if the ramp the trucks come with can take the load of my FJR? These may seem like stupid questions but well I rather ask and do it right than not and F my bike up. I've never had to haul a bike before i've always rode em not matter what but I don't think my FJR could tow all my stuff and my car. (I could be wrong though) :p

You will get lots of answers on this one. There are a couple threads going now and if you do the search thing you will find more. I like the Canyon Dancer but others will say to go off the lower triple clamp. I would not use the center stand. Make sure you have straps leading both directions and you can't use to many. Once its tied down, tape the hooks so they can't come off on any rough roads. I don't think it matters where in the truck you put it. Hope its a good move and you will have lots of good roads down south. Some of the Cali FJR folks are a little strange but not to dangerous. :D

This is probably silly to mention but I won't let that stop me :) You shouldn't try to ride your bike up the ramp, find lotsa people to help you push/pull it into the truck. If you were to get part way up the ramp and need to put a foot down you would discover WHIFF, nothing but air, followed by a YOU DUMB PHUCK, and then reality would come crashing down. Even University Motors may not be able to supply enough parts to repair the results. :eek:

The one time I had to load a bike in a U-Haul, bike had been rear ended, I tied it up tight to the front end . It will help if you can put something along each side of the front wheel to keep it from turning. Sand bags work well.

Mac

Oh, and as Ionbeam said, Do not attempt to ride it up. :dribble:

This is probably silly to mention but I won't let that stop me :) You shouldn't try to ride your bike up the ramp, find lotsa people to help you push/pull it into the truck.

not that silly

in 12 years of riding i've never had to load a bike so when I say I don't know I really don't know

hehe :eek:

The scariest thing will be riding it up the ramp.

Have you thot about renting a small trailer to two behind the UHaul and put the bike on that?

It would be way easier, both to get it on and off and to tie it down.

Pushing would be harder, but pbly safer, those ramps are only about 24" wide.

I've had to ride my Harley, which has a much lower center of gravity, up a 30' ramp to put it into a shipping container a couple of times... For me it was the scariest part! And that ramp was FOUR FEET WIDE! (My middle name is Chicken!)

Ditto with the metal floor, they get VERY slippery, I have a painted wooden floor in my bike trailer, and that is slippery.

The point is to compress the front forks forward and down.

The tie downs in the rear only keep it from hopping.

Try read the other recent thread about trailering... lots of info.

Good luck,

Mary

sure you aint stealing one?

Center back truck (over axle),have someone hold it straight, fork locked, in gear. every tie down you can attach. one thru the front fork hub(looped) pulling back. one around the back hub (looped bags off) pulling forward.all finiture forward of bike (hopefully) with a wall brace or 2 for higher stuff . pack clothes around /under/over straps next to bike so easy to remove and tighten up bike during travel.

put as much weight (bags of clothes) on those straps as you can (evenly). it'll keep the hooks on the wall attached over bumps/turns .

good luck with those u-haul walls,,, they flex, hooks fall off. try and see if you can get a strap from bikes rear, under truck door to a solid attach point like that rear cow catcher (bumper).

above is just a guess, , done less with mine @80 miles. wouldnt do it again, got lucky

P.S. leaving it on side stand leaves slack once the aluminium walls flex( hooks release) and bike falls off stand. ,,,

never looked at roof of uhaul....any strap pionts?

P>P>S> reason I put bike in back,,,, You most likely wont topple furniture on exceleration,,,, only on brakes

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to drive my family to Dallas, so I put my Bike in a UHaul trailer which I pulled with our van. It was much easier to load than a truck. If the truck has a hitch, it might be a good idea to get a trailer, and don't do what I did, which was show up at the new location without anyone to help unload!

I drove my XS11 into a UDontHaul truck. Halfway up the ramp, I was seriously slowing down so I gave the grip a good twist and lofted the front wheel. With all 800 or so pounds (including me) on the rear wheel, it left a nice dent in the aluminum ramp.

I would also watch what you pack around it. Sudden Decel, accel, or even side to side motion could cause other things to slide or fall and cause damage to the bike. Perhaps wrapping it in packing blankets would be a good idea

Thanks for the sugestions I have alot to consider and maybee just maybe I'll get her their in on peice. :angel:

+++ Don't ride it up the ramp, push it.

Also, the UStall wood floors can be pretty slick and you need to tie-off the wheels so they don't slide sideways. Fortunately I learned that lesson from a dirtbike. Since then, in moving a disassembled airplane, I've used drywall screws to hold pieces of 2X4 to the floor and before returning the truck filled the screw holes with a little oak-colored wood putty.

Absolutely don't tell them that you'll have a vehicle in their truck or they won't rent to you.

Bob

+1 on canyon dancer. canyon daner Supplement with some ratchet ties on the rear tire. Used several times on the Feej (with risers) and other bikes, never had a problem. Secure it well, cover it with some blankets, you'll be fine.

I drove my XS11 into a UDontHaul truck. Halfway up the ramp, I was seriously slowing down so I gave the grip a good twist and lofted the front wheel. With all 800 or so pounds (including me) on the rear wheel, it left a nice dent in the aluminum ramp.
Cool! :clapping: :clapping:

Nice bike (XS11) too.

Here is how it works:

As soon as you pick up the truck, the sky will open up and pour like a mo fo

F_nRainintheUhaul_001.jpg

You must then load your bike into the 10' Uhaul using a wet 2x10 from the only store around because the only U-Haul in town didn't have those nice built in aluminum slide out ramps. Note that these pics were taken upon completion and then the raid immediately stopped!!

MCycleTrip2004_0114.jpg

MCycleTrip2004_0115-1.jpg

Marvel at your kiln dried lumber, walmart ratchet strap project

MCycleTrip2004_0116-1.jpg

MCycleTrip2004_0112.jpg

You will practice ATGATT while driving U-Haul

MCycleTrip2004_0110-1.jpg

Note: This is how it works when you are 600 miles from home and get rearended at a stoplight by a Toyota Corolla in nowheresville Deleware. A planned Uhaul move should work much smoother

Don't tell them you are hauling anything that contains gas and oil such as a motorcycle or you won't get a truck.

Try to find one with some lower floor mount points. My truck had fir strips bolted down the wall that I used and as you ratchet the straps in the wall caves in.

Definitely do NOT ride up the ramp.

I am probably not very popular with the rental companies but when I had to move my daughter's bike the last time in a rental truck, I figured out exactly where I wanted the front wheel to contact the forward wall. I made marks on the floor and then made sure that there was a clear area under the truck when I drilled through the floor. I then drilled holes for eye bolts with large washers on the upper and lower surfaces and then bolted them into the wooden floor. I think I drilled 1/2 inch holes. I loctited the bolts and nuts. I used the bolts to secure the tie down straps. The bike rode perfectly with no movement, When I got to where I was going, I had pre-cut 1/2 dowels and I put a small amount of glue on each and pounded them into the holes that were left when I removed the bolts. You could not tell that I had even drilled holes.

Last edited by a moderator: