MP3 and subscription services

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
On our ride (2 weeks following WFO-8), my SanDisk Sansa e260 decided it's display would go bad. Somewhat usable but it's on its last legs (well out of warranty). So I'm looking for a replacement. We have been using Rhapsody subscription service and I tried Napster to Go for our 3 week trip. Both have their pros and cons. Some of the cons for both might by the e260 problem but not sure.

I'm not interested in an MP3 player that I have to purchase the tracks to listen to them.

I've not seen any GPSs (unless I've missed it) which support DMR and either Rhapsody or Napster list one on their supported devices but on the other hand they don't list all that support DMR.....

If you're using a subscription service which one(s) and which MP3 player(s)?

TIA,

Roy

if you have a phone that supports it, Pandora Radio is hard to beat. It is a client on the Blackberry, Iphone and Windows Mobile. it is built in to some others too. Personally, if I do not use the phone app, I use the Zumo and download it from Amazon. 256k and specials on $5.00 albums, or rip it from your own CDs.

+1 to the Pandora Radio on my BB storm.

I'm actually listening to it right now...and drinking heavily....Vanilla vodka and root beer. Yum.

I would consider Slacker Radio. It is similar to Pandora, except it allows you to cache up to 25 stations of your choosing on to a memory card. This allows you to listen without requiring an internet connection. If you don't have a compatible phone, they have a stand-alone unit called the G2 Click that seems to be pretty cool. Pandora has recently implemented a 40 hour/mo limit without paying a small fee. At this point Slacker is free and they seem to play a larger selection of music.

I find an iPhone is the perfect device...

iPod that I can load any music I have on my own PC (including captured streams through Audacity)

Applications, of which Pandora is one. Streaming music, commercial-free (unlike XM or "not-so" Sirius), and great variety.

Cool communications device

Internet access

Don't pay for music when there's so much free stuff out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time around 05 I swtiched to Sirius and got a lifetime subscription. For variety and hands-off listening it's the best.

My MP3 collection is based on my CD collection. As such, I have about 20+ gigs of music that only repeated once during the 03 IBR (11 long days of riding/listening). I'm in the middle of resampling all the songs at a higher bit rate (better bass) to use on my 32Gb iPhone when on business trips.

Those 2 combine to make MP3-for-fee services a non-issue for me.