MRA Vario screen. Anyone using one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 86528

Reaction score
Just wondering how they compare to the Yam touring screen which I have but still get buffeting. I also have the Rifle screen with mounting block and it's perfect but....it looks like a ships sail! It's absolutely massive though, prevents me from using my mirror knuckle guards and just doesn't look right. The vario seems to have an air bleed that may work well. Anyone?

Welcome Steve,

I have a Vario on my other bike XTZ 750 Super Tenere and works very good but not perfect.

My friend has a Vario on his fjr and also works very good but again not perfect for me..

I have install a Laminar Lip on my stock windshield https://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php / https://shop.heroblobs.co.uk/collections/yamaha-all-products/products/laminar-lip-for-yamaha-fjr-1300-2003-2013 a review here https://www.laminarlip.com/australian.pdf And this thing works very very good to perfect for me.

Any windshield has to do and with the dimensions of the rider i believe.A windshield where works great for a rider,for another rider perhaps doesn't work so good..

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Vario before getting the Rifle. It works very well, for the more vertically-challenged. I'm 6'3", so I needed the

Rifle,but otherwise I wouldn't have changed.

I have a MRA screen on a Cee Bailey and it works well. I had a Laminar Lip on the same screen. It worked equally as well, but cracked and was difficult to clean. I now have MRA Screens on 4 of our 5 bikes. I also think the permanently mounted screen offers a greater range of adjustment than the clamp mount.

I have the MRA VarioScreen-Max and really like it. I'm not a fan of barn door size windshields and I like to look over the top. The MRA two part windshield can be adjusted to three different heights for different seasons. I leave it in the middle position in spring and fall and the lowest position in the summer. In warm weather I leave the Yamaha's electric adjustment in the lowest position which allows the wind to hit me at the armpit level and up without turbulence. If it rains or truck traffic causes turbulence I raise the shield. At it's highest a still air pocket is created for the driver of the motorcycle but a tank bag can introduce some buffeting. In its raised position I can still see over the top of the shield without helmet buffeting.

I just installed an MRA on my V-Stream shield (bolt-on) but I haven't actually taken it for a ride yet this weekend. I'm tall and I'm attempting to get just a little more wind over my helmet. I agree with Tango Sierra on this.. I like to see just over the shield but will adjust it as needed. I'm starting with the MRA mounted as a single-pivot arrangement and I have the little arms handy for dual-pivot arrangement if needed. I'll report back with a few pictures...

Mr. BR