Multi-Pass Day in Swiss Alps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
A day-ride the end of August (just figured out how to get photos into this site)...

After a couple hours on scenic Swiss Autobahn (including lakes near Luzern), we reach the top of the first pass - Gotthard. The clearest day ever. Much warmer than anticipated... a bit hot in jackets when off the bike. Too much tourist traffic going up this pass.

IMG_4535.jpg

Heading down the south side, we opted not to take the famous snaking route (photo below - lots of slow cobblestone)... To have time for multiple passes ahead, we took the alternate way down with nice fast sweepers.

IMG_4543.jpg

Much less tourist traffic heading up the Nufenen pass... a hangout for bikers at the top.

IMG_4555.jpg

Atop the next pass (Furka)... In the far distance one can see the switchbacks of the day's next pass (Grimsel). My riding buddy has the Ducati. He does much better on the switchbacks with that short wheelbase and lighter weight.

IMG_4568.jpg

At a snack stop near the Furka Glacier, looking west down the valley between Furka and Grimsel (further down that valley is access to the Swiss side of the Matterhorn).

IMG_4582.jpg

Looking back up at the Furka Glacier and switchbacks, as we ride toward the Grimsel Pass.

IMG_4588.jpg

Coming down the final pass (Brunig) to the Sarnen valley near Luzern.

IMG_4595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, beautiful. That would be great way to spend a day. How long does it take to do the ride you did that day? Not that I will get over there any time soon. The Rockies and the Bear Tooths were great this summer, which they are, but the Alps look like something speciel.

Wow, beautiful. That would be great way to spend a day. How long does it take to do the ride you did that day? Not that I will get over there any time soon. The Rockies and the Bear Tooths were great this summer, which they are, but the Alps look like something speciel.
We did it from 8am to 4pm... 1.5 hours to the first climb and another 1.5 back from the last pass to home in SW Germany. Distance was 500km (300 miiles) total. If I'd lived closer, could have added another couple high passes (many are grouped in that area). An excellent book covering many Alp tours is put out by Whitehorse Press, called "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Corsica".

The wife and I took an Edelweiss Bike Tour from Munich to Nice in August 1998. The second night stay was in Andermatt. We rode some of the roads in your photos. Your photos brought back some nice memories as that was one superb way to see the Alps. Thanks for sharing.

IMG_4543.jpg

Oh my God!!! :clapping:
Reminds me of standing at Mt. Hamilton and looking back toward San Jose and seeing about 5 miles of twisties. Yours is better, no smog and a lot greener

Thanks for the great pics :clapping:

I road the same roads two years ago but on a stupid bus. With every turn I was wishing I was on a bike, any bike! There are many beautiful rides in the Alps and I envy you the opportuinty you had. Someday I hope to get back there and ride those roads. Thanks for a great report and pics.