Multimeters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never even heard of such a thing being permanently affixed, but looks kind of interesting/useful.

Many of us FJR dudes have voltmeters to monitor farkle power, but the Datel meter is the most popular. Never saw this one before and it adds in a thermometer, too.

Too rich for my blood. My Datel works perfectly, and my little thermometer from Aerostich works just fine too. All for under $60.

Kisan stuff is generally the highest quality, and they are really good about standing behind it. I thought (and was wrong) that the ChargeGuard was also a charger like the Battery Tender. If it's just a multimeter that's way too much money.

I have had one my 1993 ST1100 for 2+ years.

It is multimeter [volts, amps & temperature] and battery charger system with three parts [display, temperature bulb, and charger complete with 110v cord]. It works well, ie., allows me to keep track of weak electrical system performance [28amp @ 14.7v =~ 410 watt max] and me warm [Widder vest & arm chaps]. I use the current measurement [to/from the battery] as earlier warning of too much electrical load. That said, voltage level changes also tracks the load. YMMV

The battery charger seems to have worked well [glass mat type battery]. Sometimes the current reading resets and gives unreliable info. But, the next start-up it is fine. Kisan's tech service can't explain why but offered to inspect it if I would remove it from the bike. It is not that big a problem so I declined [wrenching vs. riding].

I'll install another on the FJR after it arrives this spring! :D

Ride safe.

Rublenoon

zzk, does that have a remote temp sensor?Does it actually show ambi temp or just an ice alert?

If so it may find a home.

Got any pic of this installed?
It has a remote temp which I placed on the front of the fairing. You can switch to either ambient or external. I leave it on external, because the other would only read the temp nearest to where it is mounted, which is under my dash. pics as soon as i get home. it works so good i bought one for my h2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these. It's small enough to fit in the tool kit and keep on the bike all the time.

OH! You meant a volt meter with the electronic equivalent of extra chrome. Sorry. I have the well-made, single-function Datel for monitoring the bike while riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good bench multimeters can be over $100--like for a Fluke or WaveTek. But they'll have nifty features like capacitance and transitor testing--good for electronics hobbyists and repairmen. I have a little tiny pocket WaveTek that's about the size of a RAZR cell phone--digital, voltage (AC and CD), ohmeter, continuity, and amperage. Very handy tool, and all you need for MC work (unless you are getting into the solid-state electronics...usually a bad idea).

I meant a well made volt meter, an amp meter and a temperature meter all in one unit for monitoring the bike while riding. Sorry, I'm just an electronic bling kind of guy. ;)

rublenoon

I've been using the Kisan charg guard for three years. There have been problems with the current sensor and with the water proofing. Kisan has been very good about supporting the product. Mine is currently in for diags. They, Kisan, are continuing to develop the instrument. The newest firmware level is 4.0, I think. Be sure you ask for the latest, what is on the shelf is likely earlier.

I like having Amps and Volts available. The temp gauge and freez warn feature has been very handy and the charger is occasionally employed. You can purchase in two configurations. with the pulse width modulated charger or without.

As Rublenoon says the meter often resets when significently changing load, as switching driving lights on or off. It then re-calibrates with the load as "0". When the engine is switched off and on again the calibration is corrected. The mounting system leaves some room for improvment but creatitiy and perserverance have produce a good installation for me.

I like the meter and its functions. It is easy to read and reliable. When I get mine back I will re-insatll and use again. My tcw, valuable instrument.