Multiport USB Charging?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
is there a multiport (3, 4 or 5 ports) USB charging adapter, which can be fixed in the glove box on the left fairing?
This way, i can power my GPS, Phone, Spot running cable to the glove box.

USB adapter would power off the outlet or hardwired to battery. Doable?

Tones of options out there. Just pick up the plug you want and wire it in. You can even use a powerlet or cig lighter socket which will give you more options other then usb.

I'd run the power into a tankbag and get a three plug cig adapter and put usb plugs in a couple of those.

I use my battery tender lead, which is run up with the bundle of cables to my handlebars. Then I plug a USB adapter into it. Here's a dual .. https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Power-Socket-Charger-Inches/dp/B00K6ZGU6C/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402016202&sr=1-2&keywords=sae+to+usb+adapter

Careful about leaving them on an unswitched wire in because most, maybe all, USB connectors draw a small amount of current even if nothing's plugged in.

I barely have room for my cell phone in the fairing compartment. I don't think I could charge two things at once in there.

Ha.. I have on of those from Amazon too. Learned my lesson the hard way about it drawing current. It will drain a battery. I reviewed and made the same comments on Amazon a few months ago. Works pretty good though. I use it all the time for my GPS. I use an adapter in the left compartment to keep my phone charging while out riding. I have heard that phones get too hot in there but I haven't had an issue yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha.. I have on of those from Amazon too. Learned my lesson the hard way about it drawing current. It will drain a battery. I reviewed and made the same comments on Amazon a few months ago. Works pretty good though. I use it all the time for my GPS. I use an adapter in the left compartment to keep my phone charging while out riding. I have heard that phones get too hot in there but I haven't had an issue yet.
Thank you. Your's may have been the comment that warned me it'd draw power non-stop ;)

Mine has an LED that lights when it's plugged in, so there's little doubt anyway.

Hook it up through a FuzeBlock and you can control battery drain....

I had the same problem.....

Lots of 2 port USB ports (flush and HB mounts available), can't say 3-5 ports that were mountable anyway. The 5 port one I have (dangler) only will charge thru 1 port, JFYI watch this.

Or a PDM60, like I plan to do. Planning to take a 4-port cig lighter adapter and re-pack it in RTV.

I have a 12V DC socket in the glove box.

Would this work?

This could be Velcroed into place in the box and then connect the GPS and iPhone USB cables and 2 additional gadgets to this.

The gadgets will be on Ball mounts fixed to tapped holes in the HeliBar riser plate. The cables should run neat and clean to the box on the left of the gadgets.

Amazon.com: [Most powerful] Saicoo™ 8A/40W 4 USB High output Ports Car Charger(83CM Cable Length), with separated ON/OFF Switch /LED indicator and one Silicone Paste and Velcro, Charger for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4; iPads and iPods; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Galaxy Note 2,Note3; Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX; HTC One X V S and more - Black: Automotive

I have and recommend the PDM60 as mentioned. Personally I would forget about that Cig Lighter, any USB inserts will certainly vibrate out or loose contact somehow. The wiring is so LD to that outlet, you'll always have minimal power there anyway.

PDM60!

I have and recommend the PDM60 as mentioned. Personally I would forget about that Cig Lighter, any USB inserts will certainly vibrate out or loose contact somehow. The wiring is so LD to that outlet, you'll always have minimal power there anyway.
PDM60!
Thanks!

Might use the contraption as stop gap till the PDM60

I have a 12V DC socket in the glove box.
Would this work?

This could be Velcroed into place in the box and then connect the GPS and iPhone USB cables and 2 additional gadgets to this.

The gadgets will be on Ball mounts fixed to tapped holes in the HeliBar riser plate. The cables should run neat and clean to the box on the left of the gadgets.

Amazon.com: [Most powerful] Saicoo™ 8A/40W 4 USB High output Ports Car Charger(83CM Cable Length), with separated ON/OFF Switch /LED indicator and one Silicone Paste and Velcro, Charger for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4; iPads and iPods; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Galaxy Note 2,Note3; Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX; HTC One X V S and more - Black: Automotive
On my 2013, the one in the glove box is switched, so you could leave a USB plugged into it, and it wouldn't discharge with the ignition off. But I couldn't figure out a good way (meaning one that satisfies me
smile.png
) to get a wire out of that box while riding. I've charged the phone many times in that box while riding, and that worked fine. I just couldn't use the phone for anything -- like the GPS app.

I agree on direct wiring. I have my GPS, Radar detector and all I need to do is find a direct for my IPhone 5. I currently plug that into my USB in glove box. Then at night all I charge is my IPad when I reach my night stop.

I found this at Wallyworld for $12.88 : https://www.causa.com/store/catalog.asp?item=4052&category_id=194#

The cord is 24 inches long, so it reaches from my switched glovebox outlet to my tankbag with no problem.

The picture shown in that link is decieving, the plug is actually shorter and is a low profile plug, so I still maintain nearly full use of my glove box.

It has a push button on off switch, that lights up GREEN. AND the plug has a light on it too. so it lights up my glove box (helpful sometimes at night)

The wire is thinner than typical, so the glove box door does minimal impressioning/damage to it. (good or bad feature depening on your point of view).

It has a 2.1 Amp slot, and 2 1amp slots. I haven't verified, but the label on back implies that the 2.1 is max 2.1, while the the TWO 1.0's together max out at 1.0.

It comes with a semi permanent peel-off sticker already on back.

did I mention it was only 12.88 at walmart?(https://www.walmart.com/ip/GOXT-12V-USB-Charger/24949937)

It was well worth 12.88 . Not sure how long it will last.

My Garmin Zumo is hard wired, as will be my radar detector.

I added a powerlet plug to my left dash, that powers my tank bag. but this is an excellent addition/back up. (the 2.1 amp is especially handy as it charges my phone pretty quickly. and can charge my tablet as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a cheap 2 USB charger at WalMart.... goes in the socket and sits flush with the rim, so it takes up almost no space at all. Phone fits in there much better now.

PDM60!
Just as a data point ... I have ridden probably 30 000 miles with USB adapters in cig lighter sockets, and never had one vibrate loose or out. I have one that delivers 2.1 Amps to each of two USB outlets, one is wired for iPad, the other for Android Tablets. Works very well.