muzzys or hole shots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I like the stealth sound of the stock mufflers. If I ever go this route I'm going for the headers only approach. It gets rid of the cats and the coating should increase gas velocity which also contributes to less heat. Just by the looks of the Holeshot headers I would guess they wouldn't do much more than reduce weight a bit and maybe knock the heat, what there is of it, down.. Maybe the Muzzy's look like the old Kerker and Yosh pipes that used a collector and extractor type of scavenging to increase HP, but I'd bet it wouldn't be all that much. If you did get 10HP at the top end ---- Are YOU really gonna use it???? If you are into Psy-War psuedo performance, where your real goal is something to make you bike look different and get oooh's and aaaah's, maybe the Muzzy is the way to go. Not trying to take a shot at any individual, but this is another one of those, "I wanna farkle, tell me which one is the coolest" threads that really boil down to pick the one that you like the looks of best.
+1

jim

well i like the low sound too, but i would like a deeper sound, if the cans will not give me a headache than great.

main concern is heat and if i have to use a pcIII, not for performance, as i am not looking to make the bike faster, just add some bass and remove some heat, if i lose 30-40 percent of the heat while stuck in traffic then i think its a winner.

I'm a Holeshot system owner, one of the first, and love it. As to the PCIII, thats an excellent addition to the bike, with or without the header. You do truly need it to get the most out of the system though. The header is as loud as you want to make it-at cruise and low speed, it's actually fairly quiet, as well as unique-does not have a sound anything like a 4-1. The songs begin when you turn up the volume.... :p ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Holeshot system owner, one of the first, and love it. As to the PCIII, thats an excellent addition to the bike, with or without the header. You do truly need it to get the most out of the system though. The header is as loud as you want to make it-at cruise and low speed, it's actually fairly quiet, as well as unique-does not have a sound anything like a 4-1. The songs begin when you turn up the volume.... :p ;)

Thanks,

If you order the hole shot headers, can you use the stock cans and then upgrade to the hole shots and or brand x later with out fit issues or do you have to purchase the headers specific for the can you want to use later?

Thanks

My Muzzy's arrived yesterday, and today my PCommander will arrive. I bought it from MOREPOWER RACING WITH 3 DAY SHIPPING FOR $281

Plus they program it for the Muzzys and UNI foam filter for free.

TEL 888.438.3939

Thanks, If you order the hole shot headers, can you use the stock cans and then upgrade to the hole shots and or brand x later with out fit issues or do you have to purchase the headers specific for the can you want to use later?

Thanks
The header is made for the Holeshot mufflers. The stock ones fit, sans gaskets, but it's very, very tight. Brand X will fit, BUT ONLY IF THEY WERE DESIGNED TO USE THE OE GASKETS! I ran into this with a set of D&D's I had on the stock pipe. They were made to fit the oe header without the oe gaskets-and as a result were to small to fit over the Holeshot Header.

If you order the hole shot headers, can you use the stock cans and then upgrade to the hole shots and or brand x later with out fit issues or do you have to purchase the headers specific for the can you want to use later?
Thanks
I had about a two week gap between selling my older Holshot slip-ons and the arrival of my new Holeshot slip-ons. Because the weather in Chicago was actually very nice, I put the stock cans on my Holeshot header (like Radman said, without gaskets) so I could ride. They worked quite well and actually had a nice DEEP sound. I was going to write you, Bluedevil, and tell you that might be an option for you. You get the heat reduction properties of the header, a deeper sound with the stock cans, and the option to add aftermarket cans (my enthusiastic recommendation would be Holeshots) down the road.

Thanks
I had about a two week gap between selling my older Holshot slip-ons and the arrival of my new Holeshot slip-ons. Because the weather in Chicago was actually very nice, I put the stock cans on my Holeshot header (like Radman said, without gaskets) so I could ride. They worked quite well and actually had a nice DEEP sound. I was going to write you, Bluedevil, and tell you that might be an option for you. You get the heat reduction properties of the header, a deeper sound with the stock cans, and the option to add aftermarket cans (my enthusiastic recommendation would be Holeshots) down the road.

Thanks again for all the information that is being provided.

One last question and i hope I am ready to buy something :rolleyes:

Is there any difference in the heat reduction between the hole shot and muzzy headers? if anyone even knows that :unsure:

Mike

Is there any difference in the heat reduction between the hole shot and muzzy headers? if anyone even knows that :unsure:

Mike

Both eliminate the cats, which is obviously a major source of heat. The Holeshot is ceramic coated both outside AND inside. The Muzzy is not. All things being equal, I have to believe the ceramic coating reduces heat better than the uncoated header. To what degree (no pun intended....well, maybe a little), I don't know.

I hope you're ready to buy something, too. The suspense is killing me!

Mike

Both eliminate the cats, which is obviously a major source of heat. The Holeshot is ceramic coated both outside AND inside. The Muzzy is not. All things being equal, I have to believe the ceramic coating reduces heat better than the uncoated header. To what degree (no pun intended....well, maybe a little), I don't know.

I hope you're ready to buy something, too. The suspense is killing me!

Well every one has been real helpful, I tihnk i am going for the hole shot header, and pipes.

I'll get the pcIII, when I get the plastics, that i need.

Thanks again to all that chimmed in.

Now, I am accepting donations :rolleyes:

I have the holeshot cans on mine, bought it that way, friends tell me it sounds like a jet turbine when warming up, I know it sounds great going under overpasses at full song,, and as far as a pclll, I have one on it, it took a dump, unhooked it and didnt notice a power decrease, but doesnt sound quite as crisp as before, working with Dynojet on warranty

Stock cans on the FJR stink, they're just way too quiet. Only an over the hill geezer wants a whisper quiet Feejay. The only problem is the price, it's way out of line. Otherwise I'd be owning some.

Stock cans on the FJR stink, they're just way too quiet. Only an over the hill geezer wants a whisper quiet Feejay. The only problem is the price, it's way out of line. Otherwise I'd be owning some.
Got no problems with the stock cans...when or if they need replacing down the line I'll get some aftermarkets...but not before. When you don't have enough...$$ go to trips - not farkles.

Well, I have been grounded from trips, so that is why my $$$$ are going to mods.

besides, i'll give up a few trips if these hole shot headers make my summer riding a nicer experience.

While moving bike is fine, but at a craw, there is just to much heat in the oven. i for one can not wait to see the difference. If there is really no difference, than it wasted money to me.

but i do want a nicer growl, like my puppy who is growing up and now has a guard dog sound....

homepictures049.jpg

he's about twice this size now at 6 months

I have the black holeshots slip ons they sound great nice deep growl not loud at all sound deep.... I no longer sound like a stealthy sewing machine!

No really the slip ons are great no head aches just deep tones. Now she sounds sexy

Personally, I like the stealth sound of the stock mufflers. If I ever go this route I'm going for the headers only approach. It gets rid of the cats and the coating should increase gas velocity which also contributes to less heat. Just by the looks of the Holeshot headers I would guess they wouldn't do much more than reduce weight a bit and maybe knock the heat, what there is of it, down.. Maybe the Muzzy's look like the old Kerker and Yosh pipes that used a collector and extractor type of scavenging to increase HP, but I'd bet it wouldn't be all that much. If you did get 10HP at the top end ---- Are YOU really gonna use it???? If you are into Psy-War psuedo performance, where your real goal is something to make you bike look different and get oooh's and aaaah's, maybe the Muzzy is the way to go. Not trying to take a shot at any individual, but this is another one of those, "I wanna farkle, tell me which one is the coolest" threads that really boil down to pick the one that you like the looks of best.
+1

jim

well i like the low sound too, but i would like a deeper sound, if the cans will not give me a headache than great.

main concern is heat and if i have to use a pcIII, not for performance, as i am not looking to make the bike faster, just add some bass and remove some heat, if i lose 30-40 percent of the heat while stuck in traffic then i think its a winner.