My 2009 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jeff

Reaction score
Purchased this 2009 last week. I’ve wanted a FJR for several years but couldn’t justify the expense, so when this lightly used 2009 came up for sale at a reasonable price I had to buy it.

Been cleaning and fixing some of the little things this past week. I’m pretty happy with it so far. I have a new set of tires to install still and I’m waiting for a new stator cover to arrive. Other than that she is a nice rider. Just added the ASV levers today. Pics are from today

IMG_9510.pngIMG_9509.pngIMG_9508.pngIMG_9507.pngIMG_9506.png

Tires don't look too bad, from what I can see.
What seat is that?
Any idea what's up with the throttle grip? It would drive me crazy if mine weren't both the same!
(Even more so than a scraped up stator cover)

Congratulations on the new-to-you FJR.

Tires are near new, but they are 1 mismatched and I hate mismatched tires. Also, the rear tire on there is one I put on as the original was garbage when I got it. And 2 the tires are for a lighter bike like an R7 so I wouldn’t get many miles out of them.

As for the throttle grip, the throttle tube is broken and I’ve ordered a replacement. As soon as it arrives I can put the new matching grip on

Nice! I've always wanted ASV levers. Someday.....

I've put 147,000 miles on my '09 FJR. Unfortunately, it is currently a paperweight in my garage awaiting some repairs and TLC. I have other FJRs to ride and too many projects backed up at the moment. I always loved the look of the 2009 FJR.

Interesting that the PO took the time and effort to either paint/powdercoat the handlebars black or replace them with 2018/2019 OEM black.

The handlebars were done by me. The original clutch side was bent down and backwards. I have had the black bar set for a while just sitting in my parts bin. I bought them for a friend who never picked them up. Bad for him, but good for me

I like those black handlebars! That stator cover is a royal pain in the ass. I had to replace my burned stator and couldn't get the screw out that hold the stator wire on the cover. Ended up installing the scraped up stator cover that came with the stator just so I could ride the bike. Really need to get it changed back out. I'm off work for a couple of weeks...hmmm...and don't forget to get a new gasket!

Last edited:
What seat is that?
Any idea what's up with the throttle grip? It would drive me crazy if mine weren't both the same!

What seat is that?

Tires are near new, but they are 1 mismatched and I hate mismatched tires. Also, the rear tire on there is one I put on as the original was garbage when I got it. And 2 the tires are for a lighter bike like an R7 so I wouldn’t get many miles out of them.

As for the throttle grip, the throttle tube is broken and I’ve ordered a replacement. As soon as it arrives I can put the new matching grip on
Looks like bicycle handle bar tape, similar to what I did to increase the diameter slightly and the silicone provides a slightly tacky grip.

Attachments

• IMG_20240608_070857990.jpg
    IMG_20240608_070857990.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 0
Today I had time to get my stator cover swapped out. I like it a lot better now. Hard to see in the pics but there were 2 punch through hole from when a previous owner went down on the bike.
B3D7EE61-1327-4967-9F58-3B4F4C574327.jpeg6A73BC1E-80A7-48C0-8CCB-3B63A9069A4E.jpeg

And after the new cover. So much nicer to look at

99EE9622-31B3-4A88-A20B-E06E2379A970.jpeg

Tires are near new, but they are 1 mismatched and I hate mismatched tires
Depends on the tires. I used to deliberately use a Michelin PR2 in the rear with a Bridgestone BT024 or T30GT in front (never liked the PR2 front).

The Gen III+ stator cover is a definite improvement although the colour is not a match for the original (still looks OK since it is close to other frame members). They really ground the crap out of the original stator cover!

I agree on the stator cover. I took measurements to make sure the clearances would be ok. I have a correct cover as well, but the gen 3 cover doesn’t stick out as much, which is a good thing in my mind, and I like the silver color more than the grayish darker color.

I decided to try out some Continental Conti Motions. Never tried them before, so I can compare them to the Dunlops and Bridgestones when I get some time on them.

I agree on the stator cover. I took measurements to make sure the clearances would be ok. I have a correct cover as well, but the gen 3 cover doesn’t stick out as much, which is a good thing in my mind, and I like the silver color more than the grayish darker color.

I decided to try out some Continental Conti Motions. Never tried them before, so I can compare them to the Dunlops and Bridgestones when I get some time on them.
I have run one set of the Conti Motions. Budget tire in terms of price and longevity. I didn't find them too bad for performance but I have heard others claim handling issues. I think they would be a better selection for a lighter weight motorcycle.

A friend hooked me up with the Conti’s so I will enjoy them commuting this summer. I was looking and the Pirelli Angel GT 2’s so they may get the nod for the next set of tires. We shall see

A friend hooked me up with the Conti’s so I will enjoy them commuting this summer. I was looking and the Pirelli Angel GT 2’s so they may get the nod for the next set of tires. We shall see
I am currently running Dunlop Roadsmart IV. Previous was Bridgestone T32GT and several sets of Roadsmart III before that. Lots of people seem to like the Michelin Road 6 as well... Some people are fans the Pirelli Angels; others not so much. (My only experience with Angels was the GT (which replaced the ST) and I didn't like them very much.)

Previous owner of my bike living in the middle of nowhere put Continentals on when nearest dealer had only them in stock. Said he put about 1000 miles on before I bought bike and they looked newer, with later date codes, when I got thrle bike. I ran them another 6500 at 42 front and 43 rear. Front became cupped pretty badly. Although I thought the rear still had enough life in it, a 1500 mile weekend (iron butt ride) over memorial day weekend left the rear's cords showing through. The center of the rear had what appeared to be a harder rubber than the sides, which toward the end appeared to protrude and square off, leaving it with flat spots almost like it had skidded for a long distance on spots around the tire. Never had a tire wear down that far before, so gotta plan better ahead of future lomg trips.

I have run many sets of the Conti Motions. Ok tire. The good is how affordable they are. The bad is they don't last long. Handling was never an issue for me except for one time running them at a track day. After a while, the rear was loose as a goose accelerating out of corners. I guess track use was just too much for them.

Only have a couple hundred miles on the Conti’s so far but I’m liking them.

And one more update. Found out my front fender was broken, so I swapped that out today.

EFDE0449-E655-42A6-91FB-FB9AF4D65CA1.jpegDF843412-D109-440F-A6E8-86BC6B792525.jpeg

Found most of an oe grip heater system so I’m making time to install it. Got the throttle side done today. Hoping to get the control box on tomorrow and then I just need to locate an undamaged left grip assembly

EC31B279-04EF-40CE-BF73-F494FD985543.jpeg49728660-C082-4C08-B828-BFC1503B717A.jpeg1041FF75-14D0-4883-B246-075B70E4BD31.jpeg