My 6 days sans saddle...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So TWN, what is it you know about making seats again? ;)
Me? I know jack. That's why I mailed mine in to Russell. They know how to make a seat so it fits right, and all from a few pics and some questions. :lol: Truth is, they see more re-work on ride in seats than mail in seats. Mostly because the customer screws it up thinking they want something to feel good for around the block rides, rather than across the country ones.

Pick your poison and go with it. 98% of people won't be sorry they went with a custom seat, regardless of who they end up using and wether they mail it in or ride in to have it done. :yahoo:
I agree! I bought a used Russell and its sooooo much better than stock and not even custom made for me. I can now ride until I get sick of it instead of riding until I couldnt take the pain. Best decision ive made. Unfortunately the fiancé likes riding too and the seat I bought is a solo...soooo I've sent my stocker in to Russell now for a dual to be made. So this solo will be for sale soon...end of August...leather inserts.

So TWN, what is it you know about making seats again? ;)

Me? I know jack. That's why I mailed mine in to Russell. They know how to make a seat so it fits right, and all from a few pics and some questions. :lol: Truth is, they see more re-work on ride in seats than mail in seats. Mostly because the customer screws it up thinking they want something to feel good for around the block rides, rather than across the country ones.

Pick your poison and go with it. 98% of people won't be sorry they went with a custom seat, regardless of who they end up using and wether they mail it in or ride in to have it done. :yahoo:
I agree! I bought a used Russell and its sooooo much better than stock and not even custom made for me. I can now ride until I get sick of it instead of riding until I couldnt take the pain. Best decision ive made. Unfortunately the fiancé likes riding too and the seat I bought is a solo...soooo I've sent my stocker in to Russell now for a dual to be made. So this solo will be for sale soon...end of August...leather inserts.
OK, i'll bite. but with all due respect to what looks like a real comfy seat on rogue's bike, the thing looks like it belongs on a tractor. does yours look like that, too? do all russell's have that huge bowl shape?

thanks,

shu

Well, seeing there are zero custom seat builders I have found anywhere near Detroit, I didn't have much choice. I'd have put quite a few miles on the bike to get a custom jobby done, but now Detroit to SB.
Detroit?

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Goddamn we've been overdue for a good season!

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Moving Saturday!!!!!!!!!!)

(Born in Detroit, though--gotta cheer on the home teams!)

Yeah! It is about time! It's been fun here listening to the talk shows. Usually by this time the topic is "Will Joey Harrington be the starter?!?!" and the Tigers are barely mentioned. Joey's gone and the Tigers are kicking ASS so it's an alien world right now!

Funny thing, I used to live out in San Diego and moved back here for some dumbass reason.

What's humoring me is that this post had zero intention whatsoever, other than to whine about my lack of riding and the fact I'm finding things to do to be close to my blue lady, and it has turned in to some random smattering of conversation!

OK, i'll bite. but with all due respect to what looks like a real comfy seat on rogue's bike, the thing looks like it belongs on a tractor. does yours look like that, too? do all russell's have that huge bowl shape?
If you want "looks" check out OCC's saddles and bikes. If you want to put some serious miles on your bike in comfort remember that it's function over form and that you can't see what it looks like when your ass is covering it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on something, either a Mayer or a Russell. Can some of you guys post some pics maybe to get a better idea of what they look like on the bike?
Russell 1

@Shu - Yes, all the Russell Day Long seats look this way to some degree. Minor differences depending on the style of stiching you choose. shown is the "small squares".

If you're not doing 600+ days and want something that you can move around on, i.e. 'hang off', then the Russell is probably not for you. If comfort is primary, and you're doing the long days, you will not care what it looks like once you ride with the seat. It's most excellent. Personally, I never considered what the seat looked like. And Tractors are made for a farmer to use all day, so there just might be something to that, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts