My 600 mile service experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMW

Reaction score
My 2008 was due for its 600 mile service. Since I have never really done any work on my past bike, I thought it was best to bring it to the dealer for the first service. The service manager told me that the throttle body synchronization was not necessary, unless there was some reason to do it (for example the bike is running rough). I told him that my idle was not steady - at idle the RPM surges maybe 100-150 RPM in either direction. He told me that it was normal, and that I shouldn't bother with the synch. He said that it's the nature of these engines to have an uneven idle. Is this correct? From what I have read in this forum, it seems that the sychronization may even out my idle.

So the dealer performed the first service, but I'm still wondering about the synchronization. After reading all the great technical posts here, I'm thinking of tackling this job myself. Do you think this is something I could handle as a first job? To be honest, I've never even changed the oil on a bike. Now I am pretty good with mechanical things, but I just never worked much on vehicles. I have read the posts about removing the tank and doing the synch, and I think I could handle it.

If I do tackle the job, I'll need to buy all the tools. I don't even have a torque wrench. (But Father's day is coming up, hmmm....)

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

I can only add my personal experience. My engine was also a little uneven during its break-in period.

When I did the TBS during its 600 mile service it measured barely technically in spec. The spec is however very broad and they were all over the place. Once I setup it took me all of about 5 minutes of fiddling to get all cylinders at Exactly 25cm and the idle at Exactly 1000rpm. The end result was a much much smoother engine in general and the idle in particular.

While a sync may not be required, it is a very good idea. I have been tinkering with things my whole life, but this job is not rocket science. I used a Motion Pro set of stick gauges and basic hand tools. Just print the pictures from this site and take your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '06 has a rock steady idle. It has 16,000 miles and I have not yet synced the carbs.....ooops, done the throttle body sync. Check out the Morgan Carbtune before you buy the MotionPro; I've heard good things about it and it's going to be my next purchase since I have to get under the tank soon to change to plugs.

If you are mechanically inclined, then you shouldn't have any trouble doing the tbs yourself, especially if you have a shop manual and the resources found on this forum. The pictures here are invaluable. Just be sure to not exceed the torque requirements; I've read several posts of guys putting a bit too much twist and end up stripping soft aluminum pieces.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

JMW,

Not done on mine at 600, either. They hinted at it being done at the first major. After reading the responses, I think I'll do it myself, plus install heavier bar ends. My carpentry background puts my right hand almost asleep within the half hour.

From my own experience and reading a lot of posts on the Forum, I think the throttle body sync is a must. I think your dealer was blowing you off so he could just change the oil and charge you for a 600 mile service. I'd find another dealer.

If you're not mechanically inclined I wouldn't start with the TBS. Get some help or find a dealer who knows what he's doing.

The TBS is the only thing in the 600 mi service that is worth paying for. My dealer did it at 600 mi and since I have bought the manometer set to do it my own next. Paid for the first service when buying the bike. Beside that it's the "most expensive oil change I've ever had" (&TBS&gear oil&lube&don't forget the 20 point inspection)but it did give me time to figure out what needs to be done and how to do it myself by searching this site. It also allowed me to keep on riding without ignoring it. The valves don't need adjustment but make em do the sync.

I can't lump all the Yamaha dealers in one bad lump but it is scary at the number of dealer's blowing off their customer's when it comes to the correct information about what is needed or not on our bikes. Your dealer is full of it. My 06 was measureably off on the sync at 600 miles and the dealer did that one for me. Since then I've done all my own sync's and even though they were only off a few cm but when dialed in so all four are purring in togetherness it makes for a good running engine with noticable difference while riding. And the idle is "smooth" on our in-line four. This is not a moto-gp full race engine that pulsates at idle. Good luck and do get started at doing your own maintainence. The reward is great. First thing is get the service manual. PM. <>< B)

My '06 idle has always been super steady. I did the TBS at 600 myself and there was no need - it was good.

Well, Yamaha says it should be done at 600 for a reason - those TB's are not necessarily genuflected over at the factory. The 600 may very well be the first actual TBS done on the bike.

My dealer did not perform the TBS at 600, and I've never returned. If you have a dealer that blows it off, then just maybe you don't want to deal with them anymore. What else do they blow off?

I performed it myself at around 1750, and it made quite a difference in smoothness. YMMV.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have had it with this dealer. Although they are local, I'm amazed at how unhelpful they are.

I am going to buy the '08 service manual, the Morgan Carbtune, and some tools. I am going to do it myself and get it done right.

I'll keep you posted.

And let me know if anyone knows of any GOOD Yamaha service departments in Northern NJ.

My '06 has a rock steady idle. It has 16,000 miles and I have not yet synced the carbs.....ooops, done the throttle body sync. Check out the Morgan Carbtune before you buy the MotionPro; I've heard good things about it and it's going to be my next purchase since I have to get under the tank soon to change to plugs.
If you are mechanically inclined, then you shouldn't have any trouble doing the tbs yourself, especially if you have a shop manual and the resources found on this forum. The pictures here are invaluable. Just be sure to not exceed the torque requirements; I've read several posts of guys putting a bit too much twist and end up stripping soft aluminum pieces.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
My 06 has 12k on it. I have yet to sync the throttle bodies either. My idle is rock steady, but the bike serges alot. (its time for a sync job)

did mine @ 3500 miles. let it "brake-in" a bit more. also at the same time fresh oil in the rear end for the first time. Tech said is was a bit off and spent almost 2 hours doing it (he is very much a perfectionist). after it was said and done it idles at 1050 and runs even smoother than ever. the service was 230 and i got was

oil change engine semi-synthetic oil with filter (yamalube)

oil change rear end (what ever it is)

check plugs

make sure every thing was torqued down

sync the throttle bodies

and all the little things (lube, inspect stuff, brakes, etc, etc.....)

edit: side note also get a extra MPG out of it from the sync job

I do mine every couple months.. I get together with some ofhte local guys and we teach each other.... Stuff..

Its a good thing

The TBS for my '05 was a big help with reducing vibration. They re-torqued the motor mounts and that made a big difference in felt vibration. Then, Warchild did a TBS for me at WFO5 and fine tuned it a little more.

Hey, We should do that stuff again at NAFO. We could get in the Guiness book of records for most TBS's performed in one day. :lol: ;)

JMW,

I would call Yamaha Customer service and tell them your dealer would not even check your TBS. They need to know so they can monitor quality of their warranty work. You can almost bet they were Charged for it!

Of course you can do it yourself, but If you want a shop to do it, perhaps Customer Service can point you to a better shop.

Good Luck!

I'll do my 600 mile service in a day or two when the final drive lube comes in... but I'm passing on the TBS for now. I'm going to wait for the engine control module recall parts and deal with it then.

My experience is that if an engine shows abnormal vibration or idle issues, TBS can make a big difference. If the engine is doing well, chances are the TBS will just make you feel like a responsible owner. My Suzuki DL1000 improved dramatically after doing TBS. Smoother, more uniform torque, better gas mileage, etc. Same with the Moto Guzzi Norge. Got nothing from Carb balancing on my ST1100. It was good before, and good after. K1200Rsport didn't change much either. My FJR shows no signs of needing TBS, but under the "responsible owner" model, I'll deal with it soon.

Don't put off your 600 mile service while wrestling with whether or not to do TBS. Its a good idea to get the break in fluids outta there at 600 miles. If you're not seeing vibration and if your idle is well behaved, you can safely delay TBS until you feel you're ready to tackle it.

My 05' was excellent as well,even at 12,000 miles. Never needed adjusted. My 07' has 1500 miles and I think it's even smoother! Hopefully these will be signs of a well assembled bike.

I didn't have the TBS at 600 miles, waited until 10k. I don't see what the dealer would gain from not doing it if you asked because it is a chargeable item (not free). Sounds like he was just trying to save you a few bucks, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I do mine every couple months.. I get together with some ofhte local guys and we teach each other.... Stuff..
Its a good thing
Every couple months? Ever heard the word, "overkill"? Then again.....I must have missed something. "Stuff".

hm

:unsure: