My accessory got me a ticket today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now I'm somewhat confused. Do your lights flash only when you are stopping, or do they wig-wag all the time? If they wig-wag all the time, I can see the officer's issue. It is not just a, "Oh shit...he's trying to look like a cop" mentality, because the lights are at the back. The issue is distracting other drivers, which prolonged flashing sequences does. People who drive impaired by either drugs, alcohol or both are drawn to that type of light and the distration to other drivers may cause more harm than good. It is very different than lights that only flash to indicate a change of some type. Check statistics on cops killed or injured during traffic stops. We look like frigging parades on the sides of the roads and drunk/tired people hit our cars all the time. It has something to do with the patterns and the colors, but thats all above my pay grade.

Honestly, if I saw them wig-wagging all the time, I probably would have stopped you too and would probably have written a citation because warning people to fix things only works on about one of ten. If they show up to court with the issue fixed, I drop the citation, but that's the only way to guarantee it gets done.

If they only flash when you apply the brakes, like I originally thought, then my first post stands.

So now I'm somewhat confused. Do your lights flash only when you are stopping, or do they wig-wag all the time? If they wig-wag all the time, I can see the officer's issue. It is not just a, "Oh shit...he's trying to look like a cop" mentality, because the lights are at the back. The issue is distracting other drivers, which prolonged flashing sequences does. People who drive impaired by either drugs, alcohol or both are drawn to that type of light and the distration to other drivers may cause more harm than good. It is very different than lights that only flash to indicate a change of some type. Check statistics on cops killed or injured during traffic stops. We look like frigging parades on the sides of the roads and drunk/tired people hit our cars all the time. It has something to do with the patterns and the colors, but thats all above my pay grade.
Honestly, if I saw them wig-wagging all the time, I probably would have stopped you too and would probably have written a citation because warning people to fix things only works on about one of ten. If they show up to court with the issue fixed, I drop the citation, but that's the only way to guarantee it gets done.

If they only flash when you apply the brakes, like I originally thought, then my first post stands.
+1

Just a thought...when you are riding your bike through a curve where to you look? A. Where you want to go...Q. where does your bike go? A. Where you are looking. It's the same thing when trying to avoid an obstacle, you don't look directly at the obstacle, you look at where you want to go. If it works on a bike doesn't it stand to reason that it would work in a car? When driving a timed course you look through the curves or you take out a PLETHORA of cones...and El Guapo can tell you, that's a lot of cones. Ever see a drunk driver drive DIRECTLY TOWARD ONCOMMING HEADLIGHTS? It can't seem like a good idea, but they are going where they are looking. Cops on side of roadway getting hit...ALL THE TIME...same thing maybe? I wouldn't want a continuously flashing ANYTHING on my bike all the time. Can people watch us too much? Now, if HRZ had a continuously flashing gorgeous brunette on the back of his I think it'd clean up my lines a little and it'd be easier to follow/keep up with him, however, there is a risk of his bike...or her...getting rear ended.

Just a thought...two, lemme know wha-cha-think... :dance:

+1

Just a thought...when you are riding your bike through a curve where to you look? A. Where you want to go...Q. where does your bike go? A. Where you are looking. It's the same thing when trying to avoid an obstacle, you don't look directly at the obstacle, you look at where you want to go. If it works on a bike doesn't it stand to reason that it would work in a car? When driving a timed course you look through the curves or you take out a PLETHORA of cones...and El Guapo can tell you, that's a lot of cones. Ever see a drunk driver drive DIRECTLY TOWARD ONCOMMING HEADLIGHTS? It can't seem like a good idea, but they are going where they are looking. Cops on side of roadway getting hit...ALL THE TIME...same thing maybe? I wouldn't want a continuously flashing ANYTHING on my bike all the time. Can people watch us too much? Now, if HRZ had a continuously flashing gorgeous brunette on the back of his I think it'd clean up my lines a little and it'd be easier to follow/keep up with him, however, there is a risk of his bike...or her...getting rear ended.

Just a thought...two, lemme know wha-cha-think... :dance:

1) This is getting beaten to death. But if flashing lights were so bad emergency vehicles and police would NOT have them. But they do. We know about the collissions made, but not how many were averted. yet I promise if insurance companies and jurisdictions had anything other than proof they save money and lives, the lights would be toned down or gone.

2) We are talking about a 5 inch strip of LED's, not the party lights on the Queen Mary for Chrissake.

3) The company has sold over 10,000 lights. If they were a bad idea somebody would sue them or something. But they haven't.

4) The least scientific argument is personal: People are backing off and not crowding me like they used to.

I'm keeping it. No dumptrucks wanted up my butt, like happened in AZ while this thread was going on. Would one of these lights have made a difference? Probably not. But maybe, just maybe yes.

I'll take the chance of a non-moving violation ticket. Maybe I'll put a switch in where it draws attention, maybe not.

Other people can and will do what they want. Ya shouldn't have asked what people think. ;)

ShinyPartsUp, I was asking everyone but you...oh well...

I definitely want to get the flashing break led's for my beemer 'cause I think it helps to have something like that when it starts up. Followed HRZ from Phoenix and it tended to make me OVER break when he was just tapping his breaks. When a car's behind me I'm juuuuust fine with that....I'm just not sure about a constant flash...

I definitely want to get the flashing break led's for my beemer 'cause I think it helps to have something like that when it starts up. Followed HRZ from Phoenix and it tended to make me OVER break when he was just tapping his breaks. When a car's behind me I'm juuuuust fine with that....I'm just not sure about a constant flash...
If you're looking for a constant flash, I suggest you contact Bustanut joker or FJRBluesman in a private message. Those two would be happy to flash you all day long, but keep it off the forum!

If you're looking for a constant flash, I suggest you contact Bustanut joker or FJRBluesman in a private message. Those two would be happy to flash you all day long, but keep it off the forum!
No, just a flash as I'm stopping...that's the problem with those two :asshat2: 's, they just don't know when to keep those li'l thingies in their riding pants...tough for Bustanut with those crotchless pleather ones I guess, but still...

Well since you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting a ticket for a low intensity wigwag light I decided to add a switch to the circuit. SPU was interested on doing this so I figured why not can't hurt. Now I must admit I have had leos pass me without an issure local and state. I have had them follow me without getting pulled over either. I have had them pull up behind me while stopped at red lights and never have I been pulled over for it. But for those that want to add a switch this is what I did.

Radio shack part #275-0014, illuminated toggle switch, rated 20 amps at 12 VDC.

written identifications for each lead, Power source, Accessory, ground for each lug.

Attach ground wire to frame as shown if using this location.

Run both red wires to down to the connection for the light. Split the blue wire and solder red wires to each end. Yes I did shrink tube the end and use electrical tape and tie wrapped everything before closing things up.

That's all folks, Now you can turn them on for those foggy occasions or when doing patriot guard missions. Or leave them on all the time. At least with the switch it will give you that option.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting a ticket for a low intensity wigwag light I decided to add a switch to the circuit. SPU was interested on doing this so I figured why not can't hurt. Now I must admit I have had leos pass me without an issure local and state. I have had them follow me without getting pulled over either. I have had them pull up behind me while stopped at red lights and never have I been pulled over for it. But for those that want to add a switch this is what I did.
<<SNIP>>

That's all folks, Now you can turn them on for those foggy occasions or when doing patriot guard missions. Or leave them on all the time. At least with the switch it will give you that option.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks Dave. If I ever ride into AZ on the Feez I may just do that. I logged 800+ miles in California the past couple days with no problems. Cops were up close and personal a couple times, including CHP's. One Nevada State cop lit me up with radar and followed me on Rte. 15 just over the border, and down the off-ramp. No problems.

I still feel (the operative word is subjective) that I am getting more space from my six both stopped and moving. YMMV

Thanks for the excellent write-up Dave. I may just do that this winter to give me options.

Anybody know if this would be considered a moving violation? My guess it would not, and thus not count towards insurance points.
Don't think so. Think of it more like a VC violation for a ride not up to code. A "fix" might also be required. Maybe the OP can provide some insight based on his required remedy.

I'm running CA-legal Hyperlites and, like you, I believe I'm in better shape with them. If I get a VC violation that I'm unsuccessful fighting from anywhere else, guess I'll just chalk it up to the price of doing business.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator: