My Favorite Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
Which aftermarket windshield do you have and do you like?

I have a gen 2 and ride all year round and would like something that would protect me from the rain and cold.

Thanks for the help and feedback FJR riders.

I've had two Cee Bailys and love em. Very well made and a lot of variable dimensions for custom fit.

GP

I have tried both the CALSCI XL and the largest CeeBaileys w/reverse contour. I have a slight preference for the CeeBaileys, but both work well.

This has been discussed a bunch already. Search of the forums is your friend. :D

I commute all year here in Seattle and love my Vstream shield. For summer use, I have a Cee Bailey flip shield that's only 2 inches taller and it works great for greatly reducing turbulence compared to the stock shield.

If you're planning on attending the tech day in Auburn, I'm sure plenty of guys would be fine with letting you try out their shield on your bike. Check the Pacific Northwest sub forum for more info on the tech day. I won't be there because I'm out of town, but you're welcome to try out either of my shields any time. I live in Bonney Lake and work near SEATAC. It only takes a few minutes to swap a shield.

Cee bailey here +2 with reverse flip. I am 6' with a 32 inch inseam and this screen is almost perfect for me. Another inch higher and it would be perfectly quiet, but then I would not be looking over the top of the screen which is how I roll. It also can't be too tall in the summer, as it will not go low enough to get that cooling airflow happening. I hate changing things, so this is my almost perfect compromise.

V;Stream is the one for me. Iam 5'7 29" inseam ,I can put all the down and get plenty of air ,or all the up and be totally in a pocket of clean air .search forum there's a place that sells them for $140.00 plus free shipping. Larry .

Cee bailey here +2 with reverse flip. I am 6' with a 32 inch inseam and this screen is almost perfect for me. Another inch higher and it would be perfectly quiet, but then I would not be looking over the top of the screen which is how I roll. It also can't be too tall in the summer, as it will not go low enough to get that cooling airflow happening. I hate changing things, so this is my almost perfect compromise.
That CB is a great shield isn't it?!! :yahoo:

If I could only have one shield, it would be that one (although I might go +2 wide rather than stock width like the one I have). But I don't mind switching shields twice a year and the Vstream does offer much better protection in the winter. I ride in lots of rain and temps down into the teens, so mo' protection is mo' better! :clapping:

For late fall through early spring I use the Yamaha Touring shield. I like it because it is for me a good compromise between function, simplicity, and looks. There are no tuning blocks, no peculiar shapes and not too large to ruin the clean lines of the FJR. There is little to no buffeting when all the way down or all the way (or nearly all the way) up. In between is a different story.

For late spring through early fall I use the stock shield and rarely raise it above the lowest position. The lowest position gives me the air that I need when it is warm and delivers the least amount of buffeting. As the shield goes up the buffeting increases but it is nice for rain protection.

I am 6' even with a 30" inseam.

I only have about 500 miles on my bike so far, and I am using the oem shield. I don't think it's too bad. It does a good job of protecting me in the full up position, and all the way down I get a nice cool airflow. And a bee down my collar. :dribble:

I am sure I will try something else at some point. I have had good luck with Cee Baileys in the past, but I may go with the VStream this time.

One thing to keep in mind is will it affect the dash of the bike is left out in the sun all day. If I ride to work, I have to park in an open parking lot. I had a tall CB on my V-Strom and in one day it melted the plastic knob in the center of the tachometer. I went back to the Suzuki dealer to get it fixed under warranty, but they said it was caused by the windshield, not a defect product. If I had been using a Suzuki windshield it would not have been an issue.

If the thread were titled "My Favorite Jacket" would anybody decide what one jacket to buy based on the replies? What's best depends on weather, among many other things. My V-Stream is great. So's my CalSci medium, and my stocker too, depending mostly on the calendar. Easy to change them out, though a bagful of windshield screws is a nice item for your "miscellaneous" box. It's also nice to have a few of those soft little bastards handy in your pocket if you ask some of your FJR buddies if they'd mind swapping windshields for a while.

. . . all the way down I get a nice cool airflow. And a bee down my collar. :dribble:
Join the BEE STRIKE club. Our logo can be seen below.

I have a CalSci Large. I'm 5-11, 32 inseam, and it fits me just fine for cool weather riding. I put the stocker on in the summer, which is brutally hot where I live. I may even see about cutting it down a bit for a little more airflow during those 100 plus days. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the CeeBaileys reverse flip and it works very well. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam and ride it in the down position almost always. By making small upward adjustments with the thumb control I can stay dry in all but the heaviest rain.

When I bought mine the +2" taller and +4" wider was the smallest available with the reverse flip. I've put 25k miles on mine with no problems so far. In some cross winds it does move around quite a bit but has remained firmly attached. I would buy another.

OBD