My first farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHRuuM

Reaction score
OK this might not be new some but it is for me, as I'm breaking my vow to not do any changes to the bike. :rolleyes: I've just finished mounting up my Nuvi 255wt and I wish I had, had it when I did the 1500BB. All the parts were from Farklemasters clicky. Thanks to Catfish for answering a rump load of e-mail questions, on a Sunday no less, about which mount would be good for me and the tank bag site line. This first pic is the 3" extender I used to get the sight line above the tank bag.

DSC01608-1b.jpg

And this shows the completed mount for the Garmin Nuvi 255wt.

DSC01611-1a.jpg

The Nuvi works for me as well. Just remember to keep the baggie and hook / loop tie wrap for those wet days. Best $149 I've spent yet.

--G

Just remember to keep the baggie and hook / loop tie wrap for those wet days. Best $149 I've spent yet.
--G
You, sir, were had. $149 for a baggie and Velcro fastener?! They saw you coming!
OK Mr. Smarty... You saw the set up and were really impressed with the $149 baggie, now admit it.

--G

Great job SHRuuM. Looks real good.

I have resisted doing this myself.

Unlike so many others here, I personally would never mount a GPS on a motorcycle.

When riding a motorcycle, I would be too distracted and would not want to take my eyes off the road for even a second.

Maybe I could put it in my pocket and just plug in a single earpiece for spoken directions only.

My phone has a GPS built in and I can always stop and look at that.

I do have a GPS in my car and find it indispensible. I just can't bring myself to use it on a motorcycle.

I can't even drive a car well enough when I'm on a cellphone... not a good multitasker.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Garmin Street Pilot III was my first farkle. Of course, I had to run it through an intercom system and had to put in a Powlet plug to power it. Be careful, the disease spreads.

Great job SHRuuM. Looks real good.I have resisted doing this myself.

Unlike so many others here, I personally would never mount a GPS on a motorcycle.

When riding a motorcycle, I would be too distracted and would not want to take my eyes off the road for even a second.

Maybe I could put it in my pocket and just plug in a single earpiece for spoken directions only.

My phone has a GPS built in and I can always stop and look at that.

I do have a GPS in my car and find it indispensible. I just can't bring myself to use it on a motorcycle.

I can't even drive a car well enough when I'm on a cellphone... not a good multitasker.
Surely you must glance at the speedo or tach ocasionally. And when you pass another bagger, do you look in your side mirrors to see if it was an FJR? The GPS doesn't distract any more than those actions. I think it's safer to ride with one. If you are looking for a particular street, no need to slow down and read each street sign. A quick glance at the GPS says, "it's the third right".

My main reason for the GPS was to confirm mileage on the Bun-Burner but somewhere between Ft. Stockton and Balmorhea both mine and JT's GPS's quit on us due to heat.[102 degrees at 1:30 and I don't EVEN want to know what it was at 4 to 5 o'clock there in the high desert plains.] I live deep in the boonies and know the farm-to-market roads pretty good but up in the hill country its nice to see some of the "not widely known" roads pop up for exploring. Just my two cents.....and you see I still have the old school map for back up. :lol: