My first scratch on my '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some riding this last week when the weather was cooperating (It's snowing again now!), it was in the mid 80's, and I was riding close to 200 miles, so I wore my Sidi air boots to keep my feel cool and dry. I made it to my destination, and walking around the bike afterwards, I see scratches on the right panel. One of the armour parts on my boots scratched all the way through the paint. So, now I'm looking for something to cover up the scratches, and protect what is left. Any ideas? No pictures yet, I left the bike in a friends garage in OKC, going back to get it this weekend.
I noticed the same abrasion marks on my panel as well. Premiere Cycle Accessories makes those pre-cut clear protectors for various parts of the FJR. I mentioned your problem and mine and Duane is looking into making up a set of pre-cut protectors for the side panels. Fortunately I caught mine before the paint wore through. If you get yours repainted, this might be the solution. I already use them on top of the saddlebags to prevent scuff marks and below the radiator to protect that panel from debris kicked off the front tire.

I'll post up when and if they become available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also depends on the boot design, I think... before I started wearing the Alpinestars I've got now, I never noticed it; but with them (especially if I have pants legs tucked into the boots), the velcro flap that covers the side zipper rubs the panels.

But since I'm one o' them light-in-the-loafer types that washes his bike, I think I'll just cover the scratches with some "Hello Kitty" stickers. :sicksmiley02:

Figure the marks that your body leaves on the bike just make a positive comment about it being regularly ridden! If a guitarist has an Ax that sees alot of use it ultimately gets 'drive marks', not a sign of abuse, but rather of use!

Well, I might take the award for most dim-witted scuff ever.
Yesterday, I was maneuvering my one-week-old ‘06 AE into a nice, tight corner in my garage cause I know it will be raining for the next three days and I wanted it out of the way so my wife wouldn’t hit it with her SUV. I carefully lifted it up onto the centerstand and sent the rear end right through the frickin’ drywall in the back of my garage.

Luckily, just a lot of sheet-rock dust and with a good wipe down she was good as new, but man, I felt so stupid…..
Thanks for making me feel lucky. I don't pretend to be smarter. But luckier, yeah -- just missed my closed garage door once doing the same thing.

I'm not tall (5-10) so I stand on the little peg on the side stand when throwing my leg over the bags and seat. Helps me miss the bags "most" of the time. If you do get scratches just go to Home Depot and get some roofing tar and coat the sides. (Or use truck bed liner stuff)

Hey man,

Hope you got all the info. you needed.

I got the 3M paint protect film installed on the side panels, and it looks great....you can't see it from 2 feet, anyway. I hope it will keep that area protected.

I got my *ss kicked for asking this exact same question...it (the response) was a joke, I was told by the court jesters here, who I don't know from Adam. :p

I have been laughing my *ss off all week.

You should look it up, I am sure you will get a lot of information pertaining to the essence of your question. It's very informative.

You'll need to look in the "pointless recurring threads", however.

But yours is here?

Now I have to Bounce between both sections to get all the info. being offered as to how to protect my scoot.