My Friday driving experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
In keeping with Tyler's timely reminder (My better half had already scheduled this) but I totally agree with her.

A few months ago Marissa got me a Xtreme Driving Xperience at Pacific Raceway in Seattle. Friday was my day, I was scheduled to drive the Aston Martin.

The day started with a mandatory driver meeting. The lead instructor stressed many times that he strongly recommend we take a tree lap ride with one of the professional drivers to see the course and learn what they recommend for driving the course. Since Marissa was not going to drive, I wanted her to experience the track that I have done so many laps around as a motorcycle racer. We got set up to ride in a Mitsubishi EVO with a professional race car driver (who runs the Mazda Pro series and open wheel feeder series to the Indy Lites). 3 laps.

10 minutes before we head out for the track ride, it starts raining like crazy. Then it stops. Enough for standing water everywhere on the track

The first lap, we headed out as we are finishing the first lap, we are following about 100 feet behind a Lamborghini in the transition from the section along the grandstands to the main straight away

vENzgS4.png

You can see all the water to the left, it was across the track about an 1-1/2 hours earlier. SO we are following the Lamborghini below in the Mitsubishi EVO

23NIRLT.png

FYkCtBs.png

Our ride along:

ZTKQcGr.jpg

When the Lambo cross the water and starts to lose the back end. Our driver and I both recognized at the same time, it was going to end badly for the Lambo. It hydroplaned and crashed into the barrier to left and spun back out in front of us spraying water and gravel everywhere across the track. Driver of the Lambo and the pro were OK, but the Lambo was totaled. We sat there for about 45 minutes while they took care of the driver Lambo, got the driver out to onsite medical attention to make sure everything was OK. We spent the whole time talking about racing the Pro was doing. Very cool conversation which really added to our experience.

Once they got everything cleaned up, they waited for the track to dry out some more, then we got to do our 3 laps again with the Pro to see the track. Very cool, he got us into some 4 wheel drifts in some corners.

Now, let me preface this with, Having raced this track on a motorcycle, I knew there was no way I was going to even begin to approach the speeds or times I did as a racer. That and I didn't want to write a $3000 deductible check for any damage to the car. MY top speed was about 100 mph, which was plenty for a car that I was not familiar with, and a drying race track. Pretty sure they put the car in a wet setting mode, as the throttle was not nearly as responsive as it should have been. Can't say I blame them since they had once car totaled just a little while earlier.

LRzkLNT.png

The Aston Martin I drove. Has great noise candy under full throttle

Q8GsGlB.png

The drive was very cool. Want to do it again on a dry track where I can push it a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good time. I visited the website and the prices don't seem too far out of reach. Maybe one day I will try that.

Fun stuff! About 18 years ago when working for MB we were sent to Pocono in PA for a track weekend and got to drive all the different models on the road course. Having had done a whole bunch of bike track days over the years I understood the concept of going fast on a track so had a blast and made some instructors nervous with the speed I drove. My claim to fame was getting a SL500 into a four wheel drift/slide which continued right onto the grass runoff area and spun around. Lots of runoff room so no damage. All the instructor said was; "Hmm, I didn't expect that".

My best friends dad (former AF pilot) got a ride on a Boeing B-17 bomber one time when he happened to meet the crew prepping the plane for an air show. They had to take her up for a flight and asked if he wanted to go along. Ahhh... let me think...

Man would I love to do that some day!

Did the Lambo also have a Total sticker on it like the Aston? :)

Sucks for the driver but the pro should have known better. That's why they're along with you.

I did extreme a few years ago, here at AMP. Drove the lambo and an R8. Let my daughter go out in the lambo as well.

Great thread. Spent two days at Summit Point recently for work. First day was total monsoon. It made it a lot less enjoyable. Second day was better.

That both looked and sounded like a great day. I've taken part of the NASCAR Experience in Las Vegas. That too was a lot of fun. The hardest part is driving the speed limit when you are once back on the highway. Well at least for me. My wife pointed out that I should look at the speedometer. I took a quick glance and the needle was at 105mph. But I felt as if I was in slow motion.

Last edited by a moderator: